Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

dazorange

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So interesting development. After installing the Insider Slow ring update, I updated all of the apps, configured things, etc. Everything seemed to run smoothly and I didn't have any issues. This morning I got another notification of an update and it was for the Technical Preview. It installed the TP so I went into the Windows Insider app and switched to the Technical Preview ring. I'll update this with any new observations. But, it seems that going to Insider Slow ring will eventually yield the ability to go to the Technical Preview. Hope this helps.

Interesting. I wonder if that's a temporary quirk. I now see a notification for update but since I don't currently have time to do it I'll try and check out our later. Thanks for the info.

hiram.grijalva

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I am looking to update from 8.1. I am more concerned about the firmware issues as opposed to some of the bugs in the software. Although I think MS is close. Has anyone experienced the lights not working for the Back, Start, and Search buttons? I have been using 10 on a 521 and the lights dont work.

blushrts717

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 has been pretty good, but I've had two bugs that have persisted through multiple versions. 1. I will wake the phone and the screen is unresponsive, have to press and hold the power button to restart.
2. Roughly 15-20% of the time I take a picture, the phone restarts and the picture isn't saved.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Out on the phone restart with the camera. Are you using the native camera app I am assuming?

I was having a problem where the camera app would close down immediately after opening it. Soft reset fixed that.

Haven't even had any random restarts or lock ups on this build.

In the last couple days, I've experienced three or so random restarts. So that's a bummer. But still an improvement over the last build.

electricgary

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I have been watching this thread for a couple of weeks now and have finally made the jump to Windows 10 for my Icon. I thought I would only have two options fast or slow channel but when I updated yesterday I saw a third option Insider Release preview. I chose that one and so far I think its great.. I was able with 8.1 to get two days on a charge so I will make sure I post how long a charge last with Windows 10, but so far no crashes or anything bad. So thank you to all the testers who made the jump first so that I may have a fairly good OS on my phone. I really appreciate it. I will post back to let you know how long I can last with a charge.

Last edited:

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Is w10 daily drivable on the Icon yet? Ive been wanting to try it but Im also not holding my breath that verizon is going to update the Icon with w10 anytime soon..if they ever do. So I think I'm going to try the preview but some of the performance issue, battery life and the like have kept me from making the switch.

electricgary

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I have not noticed any performance issues in fact I think it is the other way around, I think my phone got a little more peppy...maybe its just me. As far as using it as a daily driver I only have my Icon for a phone it was either it works or I revert to WP8.1 and for me it was a nice improvement. The Bluetooth seems to work very good and battery life is not too shabby either. I still am getting around what I had for battery life with WP8.1 . It is a little less but not enough for me to complain about. I think the Release Preview is good based on what I have read others went through. I encourage you to give it a try. I was very skeptical to try it but now that I have I think it was a good choice. No hard resets no programs have crashed so far and the improvements are many. I do have battery saver turned on most of the time so that may play a part in battery life but I did with 8.1 also.

Last edited:

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if Quiet Hours has been updated yet to include "Turn on when I have a calendar event marked busy"?

This feature and Bluetooth connectivity to my Toyota Prius were the two major things causing me to subsequently roll back to 8.1.

Thanks!

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if Quiet Hours has been updated yet to include "Turn on when I have a calendar event marked busy"?

This feature and Bluetooth connectivity to my Toyota Prius were the two major things causing me to subsequently roll back to 8.1.

Thanks!

It doesn't appear so. All I'm seeing is the scheduled hours and the break-through options.

rreszler

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been on the fast ring since the beginning, it's been stable the last two builds. Some apps, especially lock screen apps my cause issues since they are one of the first apps that run and control access. Try a factory reset and start with no apps and then add one at a time to see what works. Good luck 😊

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
My alarm never went off this morning, and when I picked up my phone and unlocked it, it gave me the black "Resuming" screen and wouldn't do anything else. Assume some app hung during the night and prevented Alarm & Clock from doing it's business. I did a soft reset to get use of the phone back but I'm losing trust in my alarm.

For anyone keeping track, I had an issue with the alarm not going off after the initial update to 107 but it resolved after a soft reset. I still haven't done a hard reset since .63.

QUESTION: When you folks are doing hard resets after an update, are you restoring a backup afterward or are you setting everything back up from scratch?

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My alarm never went off this morning, and when I picked up my phone and unlocked it, it gave me the black "Resuming" screen and wouldn't do anything else. Assume some app hung during the night and prevented Alarm & Clock from doing it's business. I did a soft reset to get use of the phone back but I'm losing trust in my alarm.

For anyone keeping track, I had an issue with the alarm not going off after the initial update to 107 but it resolved after a soft reset. I still haven't done a hard reset since .63.

QUESTION: When you folks are doing hard resets after an update, are you restoring a backup afterward or are you setting everything back up from scratch?
Oddly enough, I had the exact same issue with my alarm this morning. Fortunately I also use an Echo so I did wake up since I had set that alarm as well (I had an important morning appointment).

electricgary

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Update:
So I have had windows 10 on my phone for about a week now and here is what I have noticed.. I did my first hard reset about 3 days ago. I was trying to solve a camera issue where when I took a picture and then went to look at the picture that I had just taken the screen would just say reloading and then it would crash. My hard reset I believe fixed this for now but we will soon see. I also noticed that after my hard reset the battery drain was really bad so I looked at what was draining the battery and I found that messenger+Skype was draining it a lot so I uninstalled Skype and made it so background use was not allowed now it seems to be draining a lot slower. Bluetooth works very good and so does the rest of the phone so far I have only noticed a few little glitches (living images does not seem to be working sometimes and then it is working again the next time I look at my photos) This may be the issue of the reloading screen when looking at new images in the first place not 100% sure. Everything else seems to be ok .. I am using build 10.0.10586.107 just in case anybody was wondering. My alarms seem to be working fine although it does not seem like snooze works it just shuts off the alarm, luckily for me I never use it but I needed to try it at least one time.

Last edited:

Mandymoo11

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
This morning I had an update for Mail and Calendar, nothing else. My battery life through the day today has been significantly better than since I updated to W10M. I only used 40% over 10 hours, and that is checking WC, email, surfing, etc. throughout the day. Any other day, I would have had to plug in to charge at 2 in the afternoon. I am so glad the battery issues appear to be fixed now, at least for me. Did anyone else receive the update and notice the difference today?

Roy Walton

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Any idea whether W10 should currently be available for the Icon, if you haven't had a previous version? To make a long story short, I just did a factory reset and now my Icon is on 8.10.14219.341 -- I've never had W10 on it. When I go into Phone Update (with the Preview for Developers enabled) it tells me I'm up to date. If I use Windows Insider and select "Get preview builds", I get a server error ("A connection error prevented us from downloading programs for you. Please check the date/time of your device and its network connection and try again."). I suspect that has to do with Daylight Saving Time, because I can get around that error by manually setting the date to Saturday the 12th or earlier, but then Windows Insider still tells me there aren't any builds available.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05