Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Any idea whether W10 should currently be available for the Icon, if you haven't had a previous version? To make a long story short, I just did a factory reset and now my Icon is on 8.10.14219.341 -- I've never had W10 on it. When I go into Phone Update (with the Preview for Developers enabled) it tells me I'm up to date. If I use Windows Insider and select "Get preview builds", I get a server error ("A connection error prevented us from downloading programs for you. Please check the date/time of your device and its network connection and try again."). I suspect that has to do with Daylight Saving Time, because I can get around that error by manually setting the date to Saturday the 12th or earlier, but then Windows Insider still tells me there aren't any builds available.
Make sure you select Slow or Release ring. Currently, Fast is for select devices which shipped with Windows 10.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
It may not receive the Windows 10 update. It's still under consideration. They better not drop this phone. It's a wonderful phone almost as good as the 950. =/ How are you guys feeling about this?

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. I haven't owned a ton of phones, but a few, and the Icon is hands-down my favorite. Just a really sweet phone with a great screen, features, and just-right size. I'm really hoping support will continue for it since I'm tied to Verizon, and what's the likelihood of them picking up a WP flagship?

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Agreed. I haven't owned a ton of phones, but a few, and the Icon is hands-down my favorite. Just a really sweet phone with a great screen, features, and just-right size. I'm really hoping support will continue for it since I'm tied to Verizon, and what's the likelihood of them picking up a WP flagship?

Pretty slim at this point.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It may not receive the Windows 10 update. It's still under consideration. They better not drop this phone. It's a wonderful phone almost as good as the 950. =/ How are you guys feeling about this?

Eh, no big deal to me. My Icon runs awesome on 8.1.1. I have no issues with BT connectivity to my hands-free devices, vehicles or my Band 2. Cortana works perfectly. I can make calls, text, browse the internet and anything else I need to do. 8.1.1 is just fine for now.

I realize some 8.1.1 apps may not get updated with the advance of W10, but maybe by the time that factor comes into play, MS will have W10m polished to the level of 8.1.1 and then I can upgrade through the Insider program or official OTA if it comes out.

Additionally, people this is just a phone. Sounds like some of you are so materialistic, you're missing out on Life.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Eh, no big deal to me. My Icon runs awesome on 8.1.1. I have no issues with BT connectivity to my hands-free devices, vehicles or my Band 2. Cortana works perfectly. I can make calls, text, browse the internet and anything else I need to do. 8.1.1 is just fine for now.

I realize some 8.1.1 apps may not get updated with the advance of W10, but maybe by the time that factor comes into play, MS will have W10m polished to the level of 8.1.1 and then I can upgrade through the Insider program or official OTA if it comes out.

Additionally, people this is just a phone. Sounds like some of you are so materialistic, you're missing out on Life.

First of all, I don't own a Lumia Icon, but it is quite a nice phone. Also, this phone isn't that old either, which is why it shocks me with its specs that it may not receive the update. My concern is that they're dropping a high-end phone overall.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
First of all, I don't own a Lumia Icon, but it is quite a nice phone. Also, this phone isn't that old either, which is why it shocks me with its specs that it may not receive the update. My concern is that they're dropping a high-end phone overall.
I think it might have as much to do with Verizon as MS. We switched from Att to Verizon about a year ago, bad move especially if you like windows phones.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

I think the issue is with Verizon. They EOL'd the phone last year, so they probably don't want to approve an update for a phone they no longer support. I think Microsoft is in talks with them, if I understand a few Tweets I read.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I think the issue is with Verizon. They EOL'd the phone last year, so they probably don't want to approve an update for a phone they no longer support. I think Microsoft is in talks with them, if I understand a few Tweets I read.

I think it might have as much to do with Verizon as MS. We switched from Att to Verizon about a year ago, bad move especially if you like windows phones.

That makes sense. =/ They'll "try" and push people to get new phones. What W10 line of phones do they have?

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site

Actually, they EOLed it in 2014 about 6 months after release. This phone, effectively, was DOA.

I was one of the loudest protesters but I'm done. MSFT clearly is more interested in supporting Android and iOS with its mobile strategy and who can blame them? They were simply too late to the table. There are no true flagship Windows phones and the app gap has gotten worse instead of better.

I know enough to get off a sinking ship.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Actually, they EOLed it in 2014 about 6 months after release. This phone, effectively, was DOA.

I was one of the loudest protesters but I'm done. MSFT clearly is more interested in supporting Android and iOS with its mobile strategy and who can blame them? They were simply too late to the table. There are no true flagship Windows phones and the app gap has gotten worse instead of better.

I know enough to get off a sinking ship.

Sadly I'm starting to lean in this direction myself, I love the WP platform but it is hard right now to see a light at the end of this tunnel. I am not in love with the idea of leaving WP and going back to droid but with all the uncertainly of what is going on with the WP platform and the abysmal support WP gets from Verizon it may be time for a switch.

I can run droid now using many MS apps and services that were not available when I last used droid so that may ease my reservations of switching back to droid and I can allways switch back to WP once I get a better idea of what phones will be available and what kind of support there will be for the platform in the future.

frankelweeze

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I had an S5. My biggest problem with Samsung is I hate touch wiz, and I don't want to void my warranty by putting the OS I want on it.
Really got tired of tinkering with Android. For me it's more so the software than the hardware.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I had an S5. My biggest problem with Samsung is I hate touch wiz, and I don't want to void my warranty by putting the OS I want on it.
Really got tired of tinkering with Android. For me it's more so the software than the hardware.

I had an S3 and my daughter has an S5. The Touch Wiz interface is not nearly as intrusive at it once was. I don't even feel any great need to put a new launcher on it.

Roy Walton

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Eh, no big deal to me. My Icon runs awesome on 8.1.1. I have no issues with BT connectivity to my hands-free devices, vehicles or my Band 2.

I'm curious, you say your Icon runs 8.1.1 and works with your Band 2? I won't bore you with the details, but that was the original reason I started messing with my Icon and Band (v1) -- I ended up bricking the Band (but had it replaced for free at the NYC MS store), and factory reset my phone to 8.10.14219.341, after running various preview/developer versions over the last year or so. Now the Microsoft Health app (and several other apps) won't run -- they start and crash back to the home screen. Are you using Health with your Band 2? Is there a fix I'm missing?

Last edited:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, use the Health app daily. There have been several updates to the app over the last month. The app is currently at build 2.0.4313.0 26R. I also had a Band 1 and it functioned with my Icon great as well.

My Icon is pure stock. No dev builds or Insider Program builds. With the amount of issues we're seeing with 10, I'm amazed at the amount of people itching to upgrade.

Roy Walton

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Yes, use the Health app daily. There have been several updates to the app over the last month. The app is currently at build 2.0.4313.0 26R. I also had a Band 1 and it functioned with my Icon great as well.

My Icon is pure stock. No dev builds or Insider Program builds. With the amount of issues we're seeing with 10, I'm amazed at the amount of people itching to upgrade.

That's odd -- as I said, I factory reset my phone, so I have a clean 8.1.1 build at this point as well. There must have been an incremental update that you received along the way, even recognizing they were all production releases.

By the way, the biggest reason I am trying to get to 10 is in the hope that Microsoft Health will start working again! :grin: I'd be fine with 8.1 otherwise...

EDIT: I now see the current version of Health on the app store is 2016.315.647.0. Can't confirm whether that jibes with what I have installed since I can't start the app. Curiouser and curiouser...

Last edited:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh crap, hang on. The version I quoted is my Band 2 version. Let me check my app and see what it states.

Exit. Ok, my Health app is at 1.3.20314.1

Have you tried resetting the Band as well?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers