Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Well, now is a full 24 hours since "I posted the Great news screenshot" and thanked Gabe Aul and Mary Jo Foley = my Icon Upgrade Advisor once again says "isn't available for you phone right now. We are trying to determine if you phone can support Windows 10".

I have 3 "Great News screenshots" spanning over 6 hours yesterday - so somebody "panicked"!

I am still optimistic due to the fact that my friends in the UK with Lumia 930s - when I shared Upgrade Advisor with them 5 days ago - 24 hours later, Windows 10 was pushed "DIRECTLY FROM MICROSOFT" and they have had two upgrades since.

It's gotta now be Verizon that's screwing us!

Deja Vu with Verizon stalling 8.1 Denim - about 1 year ago this time period fro almost 6 additional months - and Joe Belfiore coming to the rescue!

I am so PO'd at Verizon that the DAY Microsoft offers there own "wireless service" - even via a Verizon MVNO - I WILL SWITCH and bring hundreds of users along !

Verizon is nothing but a "dictatorship" and should be stopped from further dictating "what phone I can buy and what OS versions I can run"!

FWIW ...

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
So I upgraded to WM10 with the developers preview after hearing that MS has basically ditched the Icon. I didn't expect anything from Verizon since they basically gave up on this phone over a year ago..but I still had hope I'd get something. So figuring this is the best I'm going to get I loaded it up...wow is it buggy.

The Base OS is nice, but every app I have looks good but runs worse than its 8.1 counterpart.

The browser is terrible...it refuses to display half the webpages I go to....sometimes it won't close at all. I mean the 8.1 has its share of issues too but this one is definitely worse. I guess at least I can have my google search back though.

Other little things like the display brightness....it's under lock screen...and not display..because the makes sense. I find a wifi hotspot and I don't get a list of wifis just by turning on the wifi..I have to turn it on, go into the settings, go to wifi and find it there. Simple things like this that should work on a product this mature, especially with a competing one to compare to.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head...but I've been using it for less that a week and Im already to go back to 8.1 or just outright get another phone.

I know this is a developer preview, its a beta I get it, but honestly with WM10 rolling out to a lot of other phones I was hoping to get something a heck of a lot close to a release candidate than a buggy barely out of alpha release.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I know this is a developer preview, its a beta I get it, but honestly with WM10 rolling out to a lot of other phones I was hoping to get something a heck of a lot close to a release candidate than a buggy barely out of alpha release.

That was pretty much my experience also and I stuck with it through several iterations of DP releases, but finally rolled back to 8.1. Because 8.1 just works. It does everything I ask of it without any problems.

I'm not sure what the clamor is to upgrade. Yes, I was even clamoring for an upgrade, but what do we gain with 10? GUI enhancements, yes. But aside from that, Windows Phone doesn't really get much better than 8.1. I'm still holding out for a new really nice piece of hardware that runs 10 flawlessly with all the features of 8.1.

Bob Singer

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure what version of the dev preview you're running...however, if you swipe from the top of the screen to bring up the notification center, then press and hold the Wi-Fi icon, it should take you to the Wi-Fi screen with a list of available networks. Swipe, Press, you're there. Display settings works the same way. Long press on the notification icon with the sun icon.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
That was pretty much my experience also and I stuck with it through several iterations of DP releases, but finally rolled back to 8.1. Because 8.1 just works. It does everything I ask of it without any problems.

I'm not sure what the clamor is to upgrade. Yes, I was even clamoring for an upgrade, but what do we gain with 10? GUI enhancements, yes. But aside from that, Windows Phone doesn't really get much better than 8.1. I'm still holding out for a new really nice piece of hardware that runs 10 flawlessly with all the features of 8.1.

I wanted to try something different and I was really hoping some of the app issues got better. Some examples...the FB app on 8.1 is terrible. It repeats the same posts 2 or 3 times and that's all it shows. You "update" your feed and you see posts from from 3 days ago.
The browser still have issues displaying some pages and the popups and ads are terrible.
Baconit...
Im sure there is more I just can't think of them right now
All these apps are different on WM10...none are actually better...that I've seen.

I'm not sure what version of the dev preview you're running...however, if you swipe from the top of the screen to bring up the notification center, then press and hold the Wi-Fi icon, it should take you to the Wi-Fi screen with a list of available networks. Swipe, Press, you're there. Display settings works the same way. Long press on the notification icon with the sun icon.

Pretty sure whatever the newest one is....I did the fast ring thinking it should be the same as slow ring and the other one at this point.

the version is 10586.107
I swear I tried that but yeah that worked..I also hard reset my phone last night in hopes I could fix some of the issues its been having. Im still probably going to roll back to 8.1 though. 10 is definitely pretty and I like it...Im just not so sure its every going to run good on the icon.

Last edited:

IcyPwnage

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Aside from that ongoing Wifi connectivity issue I had on 8.1, I have been running 10586.107 since the day it came out and have had very few problems. My favorite new feature that 8.1 does not have is the ability to respond to text messages without opening the messaging app. Also setting the display scaling to 225% is nice as well.

Some of the stuff that is coming in the redstone builds seems pretty cool though, and I would be willing to try it out (oh wait I can't because I have an Icon on Verizon instead of a 930 or a 1520 on AT&T :/ )

electricgary

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I was on the preview release and then changed to fast ring to get the newest version. I did not get the newest version until I opted out of the windows insider all together and then I got the .164 version. It seems to have a lot less crashes and I can say I have only seen one problem and that was if you take a picture and click to share and you pick email, outlook will hang and never open but I found if I opened outlook and then wrote email and attached picture it worked fine other than that I have had no problems at all.

Grzenek

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I am on the same build, but don't have the same problem as you have with outlook. All works well with exception of phone orientation. Sometimes screen's getting stuck in vertical when phone is rotated horizontally. But this may be the hardware issue. Soft reboot fixes it.

Last edited:

insight3fl

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
And what does this link mean for a Verizon Icon owner? I don't get it? It just says what we have heard. Windows 10 is available for the ICON.

Thanks

Roy Walton

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
You have the Health app sideloaded on your Kindle...have you tried deleting that? Maybe it's causing the issue? Your Band can't connect via BT to two different devices.

I would delete all instances of any Band in your BT setting on your phone. Reset the Band. Delete any trace of the Health app on your phone. Reboot your phone. Make sure you have a strong wifi or cellular connection and try downloading the Health app again. The Health app should download, irrespective of the Band.

Sorry for the delay in my response. I was finally able to fix this by using the Windows Device Recovery Tool (not sure how different that is from a regular factory reset on the phone, but there you have it), along with doing a factory reset on my Band. Not sure if it made a difference, but when I ran through the initial setup after resetting my phone, I didn't recover my settings from backup -- but I didn't do that the first time, either. Anyhow, starting from scratch fixed the problem. Thanks again for your help.

From other comments in this thread, I'm in no hurry to go to 10 now that my phone seems to be working fine on 8.1

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
And what does this link mean for a Verizon Icon owner? I don't get it? It just says what we have heard. Windows 10 is available for the ICON.

Thanks

Does anyone know any further details - my Upgrade Advisor still says ... "we are trying to determine if your phone is capable yet my UK Lumia 930 friends have had their upgrade for over 2 weeks ?

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Well, I'll take it as "positive", at least Verizon that it's STILL in motion !!!

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/907239

"Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in the Windows 10 software update for your device. We take great pride and care in making sure our customers have the latest operating system, and that those updates are thoroughly tested to ensure the best customer experience. We are currently working with Microsoft on the update schedule for select Lumia devices."

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know any further details - my Upgrade Advisor still says ... "we are trying to determine if your phone is capable yet my UK Lumia 930 friends have had their upgrade for over 2 weeks ?

It doesnt matter that the 930 and Icon are the same phone. It has to do with Verizon pushing the update out to a phone they EOL'd and no longer support. Every 930 in the world can get it tomorrow and if Verizon doesn't want to push it out, then the Icon won't.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'll take it as "positive", at least Verizon that it's STILL in motion !!!

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/907239

"Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in the Windows 10 software update for your device. We take great pride and care in making sure our customers have the latest operating system, and that those updates are thoroughly tested to ensure the best customer experience. We are currently working with Microsoft on the update schedule for select Lumia devices."

Let's hope it's true...

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Let's hope it's true...

Well, IF it is true, then we "may be finally be unshackled from the heavy hand of Verizon" as "my understanding from my Lumia 930 friends in the UK" IS that the OTA "update process is coming direct from Microsoft"? They, have now had "several" Windows 10 updates, since March 17th, apparently all OTA from Microsoft?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers