Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So here we are, a little over two years after the Icon came out... time flies when you're having fun! In two days, I've had my Icon for exactly two years, in fact. Sadly, I have lost it (I use a Moto X Pure now) - it's somewhere in the house, I just don't know where (I really need to find it and keep using it on WiFi at home, as I did before I lost it). I REALLY miss WP/W10M, but the way Verizon treated the Icon was shameful. It coulda been a contender.... ;)

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have been on WP 10 since the first release and am on v10586.218. While much of this release is fine for me, the bluetooth (while not great) in previous releases is almost worthless in my car on this version. I could live without the text message integration, though it is nice, but I can't even make phone calls anymore through the car. Half the time I can't hear the other person or they can't hear me. The rest of the time, there is so much distortion you can't understand the other person, same with Cortana.

If I roll back to 8.1, is there another WP10 release available on the fast or slow ring (for example a 14xxx release)? I can't remember what WP10 version I was on before I moved to 105286.218 but the bluetooth was much better, though I was on the fast or slow ring before moving to the release preview last week when I got 105286.

Thanks for any info.

IcyPwnage

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else had issues with their Icon's wifi on 10586.218? I feel like I am having to restart the phone a lot to keep the wifi working after moving between work and home. I know it has always been an issue with our phones, but I feel like it is much more noticeable on this one compared to the previous one.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you run "Upgrade Advisor" while we await a reply from Gabe Aul - ours has said "Good news ... " for several weeks but if you recall last year to get 8.1 Denim took quite some time with Verizon !

Just because it says "good news" does not mean we got it yet. So, did anyone here roll back to 8.1 and see if they can get W10M with out the preview program ?

When is the offical day ? W10M preview still has issues with battery life, I am hoping we get to a 8.1 level of battery on w10m...

I'm still on my LG G3 and later today I'll be a on a G4 (going to sell off my G3 that has wireless charging)...Loving tap to pay...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually, they EOLed it in 2014 about 6 months after release. This phone, effectively, was DOA.

I was one of the loudest protesters but I'm done. MSFT clearly is more interested in supporting Android and iOS with its mobile strategy and who can blame them? They were simply too late to the table. There are no true flagship Windows phones and the app gap has gotten worse instead of better.

I know enough to get off a sinking ship.

Verizon didn't EOL it in 2014. Had Verizon EOL'd it in 2014 then we would have never gotten the Denim update in 2015. Which, btw, was one of the first phones to get Denim. Verizon retired the phone in 2014 less than a year after releasing it; which means they stopped offering it for sale after stocks ran out. The phone is now over 2 years old and Verizon generally doesn't support phones for over 2 years. As a GENERAL rule, most devices, regardless of carrier or manufacturer only have a 2 year life cycle.

If you notice, Verizon doesn't offer the iPhone 4/4s, the M8, or the S5. It is unlikely those phones will get updates beyond iOS 9.2 for the 4/4s and Marshmallow for the M8 and S5. Why would Microsoft devices be any different? Also, keep in mind it is ultimately up to Microsoft, Samsung, Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc to provide the updates.

I do agree though that Microsoft doesn't seem as enthusiastic as it once was with producing phones. It's done pretty good in the 2-in-1 arena with its Surface line. However, I have yet to see that translate to mobile sales, and I am not all that confident that a Surface Phone will be released.

I also think that Windows 10 Mobile is superior to both iOS and Android. But if Microsoft can't get developers on board to produce apps we need and/or want, I don't see it lasting much longer.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Verizon didn't EOL it in 2014. Had Verizon EOL'd it in 2014 then we would have never gotten the Denim update in 2015. Which, btw, was one of the first phones to get Denim. Verizon retired the phone in 2014 less than a year after releasing it; which means they stopped offering it for sale after stocks ran out. The phone is now over 2 years old and Verizon generally doesn't support phones for over 2 years. As a GENERAL rule, most devices, regardless of carrier or manufacturer only have a 2 year life cycle.

Well, not entirely true as you could buy a Lumia ICON for quite some time - on an off with stock - from the Microsoft store, Amazon and perhaps other places.

The second part of whether Windows Phone is DEAD ... just read the thread in these forums about the HP Elite X3 and other OEM Windows Phone coming soon. Yes, "targeted at Enterprise customers" but I will buy an HP Elite X3 the day it is available. In today's BYOD device world, what exactly separates "work vs personal" anyway.

IMHO, Verizon may be fighting with Microsoft ... but, does anyone here think that Verizon is "foolish enough" to attempt to "block" HP and other large OEMs coming soon ???

http://forums.windowscentral.com/#windows-phones

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, not entirely true as you could buy a Lumia ICON for quite some time - on an off with stock - from the Microsoft store, Amazon and perhaps other places.

Yes, you could still get it via Microsoft and other third party vendors as stocks were available. I was talking about Verizon specifically.

The second part of whether Windows Phone is DEAD ... just read the thread in these forums about the HP Elite X3 and other OEM Windows Phone coming soon. Yes, "targeted at Enterprise customers" but I will buy an HP Elite X3 the day it is available. In today's BYOD device world, what exactly separates "work vs personal" anyway.

You have a good point about the enterprise space. Microsoft, HP, and Dell are all VERY good at leveraging the enterprise space. How many people bought a Dell computer for personal use because that was what they used in the work place? Loads! That was how they all became household (i.e. personal) standards. If Microsoft can leverage the enterprise space then, I can see people wanting to migrate to Windows Mobile.

The part that is problematic with that strategy is that if developers don't produce the apps that users are used to having on iOS and Android, then consumers won't jump. I'm not talking about apps like Facebook and Instagram. I'm talking about apps for things like banking and such. Sure many of the BIG banks offer a Windows mobile app, but what about the smaller more local banks. My credit union does not offer a Windows app, but it does have an iOS and Android version. The iOS version even uses TouchID or eye scanning for authentication. Starbucks doesn't offer a Windows app, and SBUX the best third party app is now discontinued. Adobe doesn't offer a version of Lightroom Mobile for Windows mobile, but it has an iOS and Android version; even though historically Windows phones had better cameras that Lightroom could leverage. I can control my Canon EOS 6D directly from my iPhone and my Galaxy Tab S2; even from my SP3, but not from my Icon. If I'm away from my desktop or SP3, I can still download and edit the RAW images off of my camera to either my 6s+ or Tab S2, and upload. Is that niche? Not really. If it was so niche, then the major camera makers like Canon and Nikon wouldn't offer remote camera control apps; nor would Adobe offer Lightroom Mobile.

That is where Microsoft is losing the battle...getting developers to produce quality CONSUMER apps for them. So even if Microsoft were to make considerable headway in the enterprise space, they are still going to struggle in the consumer space. You've very astutely pointed out that we are in the BYOD era of mobile, but the vast majority of those devices are either iOS or Android powered, not Windows powered.

IMHO, Verizon may be fighting with Microsoft ... but, does anyone here think that Verizon is "foolish enough" to attempt to "block" HP and other large OEMs coming soon ???

http://forums.windowscentral.com/#windows-phones

I don't see Verizon out right blocking devices. That would be dumb! The issue would be whether the OEM includes the CDMA capabilities to work on Verizon's and other CDMA networks. Worldwide there are still a LOT of CDMA networks still running. That is the reason why the 950/950XL won't work on Verizon (or any other CDMA network); Microsoft did not enable CDMA. So if HP wants it to work on Verizon's network, it HAS to have CDMA enabled. That is the way it's going be until Verizon, and all of the other CDMA carriers, phase out their respective 3G networks; which many are in the process of doing.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Nope, not new and as disgusted as anyone else ... I just wish that Microsoft would create their rumored MVNO so that I could DUMP Verizon!

Why dont you dump V post paid and just go with one of the good MVNO's that use V cell towers? PagePlus and Selectel are good choices. I will go back to Selectel when I get of my family post paid V plan.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
anyone having problems with voice mail? After upgrading, when a call goes to voice mail they are asked to enter my mailbox number. If they enter my phone number it just says voice box not found?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel