Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Have to say I am not very happy with the situation as it regards my 2 year old Icon. I would love to stay with Windows mobile but will have to take a serious look at the iPhone 7 when it come out. My whole family uses iPhone and I have been the outlier trying to convince them that I have the better phone and operating system. It's getting more and more difficult to make that argument.

ChrisP1

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Have to say I am not very happy with the situation as it regards my 2 year old Icon. I would love to stay with Windows mobile but will have to take a serious look at the iPhone 7 when it come out. My whole family uses iPhone and I have been the outlier trying to convince them that I have the better phone and operating system. It's getting more and more difficult to make that argument.

I am personally still going to use my Icon and most likely upgrade next year. I want my Windows 10 Mobile to work really well with my Windows 10 PC.

Now I assume you have a Windows 10 PC as well. I suggest if you switch to switch to a good Android phone. Why? Well, there will be better integration with Windows 10 on Android then IOS. IOS is very locked down. Install Cortana on Android and you can get Text messages on your PC from your phone. Plus Android is much more flexible then IOS. IOS is so uptight and annoying to me.

I could also name a ton of features that make Android the better option in my opinion. IDK how you use a phone or would use one in the future but Android is much more updated and flexible. You can only use NFC for payments on IOS. STUPID!!! I would just suggest an Android if you switch. I'm staying on Windows.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I was reluctant to go with the Insider Program, but I got tired of upgrades being held captive by Verizon and there decision of whether or not to support the Icon. There is a lot of functionality missing in WP8.1 that's available in W10M as well as in certain apps including ones that just aren't on WP8.1. I upgraded on Sunday. It took a bit longer than 10 minutes to download and install the update. Once it finished I didn't have all the functionality of my apps and some were missing. My Band wouldn't stay connected over Bluetooth at all. What I didn't realize is that it was downloading a ton of app updates in the background to go from WP8.1 to W10M apps. I had some errors while downloading, but I just let it finish on its own and restarted the failed ones. After that, all the apps ran fine, but I was still having Bluetooth issues. I found a post that said to uninstall Microsoft Health and reinstall it. After that, everything seems to be working fine except for Fan Band. I can get it to change my Band background manually, it just doesn't do it automatically on a schedule anymore. Not sure why. Overall I'm happy with W10M and I'd recommend going with Insider and getting in the Preview Build ring. Phone seems pretty stable with only one or two minor issues. The way I see it, if Verizon decides not to support the Icon on W10M at least this way I won't have to go back and buy a new phone from them to stay current with the latest OS and features.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Why dont you dump V post paid and just go with one of the good MVNO's that use V cell towers? PagePlus and Selectel are good choices. I will go back to Selectel when I get of my family post paid V plan.

Once Microsoft "began to sell UNLOCKED Lumia 950XL and Lumia 950 smartphones "UNLOCKED", WHY should I as Microsoft is making all of the noises about creating a Microsoft MVNO!

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I read the article and am intrigued. I have the Icon with 8.1. I'm very happy with the performance. I use Cortana frequently and don't want to loose that feature. Is Cortana working well with this latest build? What is the biggest benefit of the upgrade?

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
This could keep me with Verizon. Just another option to consider.

Sent from my Surface 3

I have several friends in the UK with Lumia 930s - same hardware as the ICON (Lumia 929) - that "have been successfully UPDATED OTA multiple times" since March 17, 2016 = almost 7 weeks ago = I am very optimistic that this is a "Verizon dragging it's feet" and NOT a sincere effort to give us Windows 10 by Microsoft at this point.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I read the article and am intrigued. I have the Icon with 8.1. I'm very happy with the performance. I use Cortana frequently and don't want to loose that feature. Is Cortana working well with this latest build? What is the biggest benefit of the upgrade?
Just updated a couple days ago. So far, so good. If you have other Windows 10 devices, the consistent experience across them is great. Groove, Cortana, apps, etc. Phone experience vs. 8.1: 1) Messaging is better, more polished, and I like replying from the banner notification without opening the message. 2) Calendar and Outlook Mail are significant upgrades. They just feel better and built for the enterprise, which I like. 3) Groove is light years ahead of 8.1 Xbox Music. 4) Cortana - been good, no complaints. Like everything else, having the same experience between my phone, work PC, and home laptop is great.

Only thing not as good as 8.1 is the battery but it's still decent. It's draining a bit more quickly but it's only been a couple days. Looks like I should be able to get around 24 hours with my usage when before I was closer to 30.

DTPhoto

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
If each version seems to have decreased battery performance, has a reason been identified? Is it due to more processes happening, more-frequent communication, or is 10 running in an 8.1 shell that requires some overhead?

I'm a somewhat heavy user, twice a day, I can get the battery down from 100% to 50% while commuting. If I do photo editing or video viewing, the battery drain can easily exceed 30% per hour. This is under 8.1, so I'm concerned about my planned upgrade to 10 tomorrow.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Just updated a couple days ago. So far, so good. If you have other Windows 10 devices, the consistent experience across them is great. Groove, Cortana, apps, etc. Phone experience vs. 8.1: 1) Messaging is better, more polished, and I like replying from the banner notification without opening the message. 2) Calendar and Outlook Mail are significant upgrades. They just feel better and built for the enterprise, which I like. 3) Groove is light years ahead of 8.1 Xbox Music. 4) Cortana - been good, no complaints. Like everything else, having the same experience between my phone, work PC, and home laptop is great.

Only thing not as good as 8.1 is the battery but it's still decent. It's draining a bit more quickly but it's only been a couple days. Looks like I should be able to get around 24 hours with my usage when before I was closer to 30.

I put W10 on yesterday. Enrolled in the stable Release Preview ring thanks to Daniel's article. It runs quite well. I did initially have some text notification issues, but I think turning the phone off/on solved that issue. I used the text banner reply for the first time today; pretty neat. Email updating needs a little polish and I can't figure out how to change the colors in the Outlook calendar to match the different people I have a calendar for. Cortana works just fine and haven't used Groove yet. Battery drain seems to be no different than 8.1.

scotthenry76

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I made the jump to the Windows 10 Release Preview Build. I was holding back due to the need for a stable device. It took a couple of hours between downloading, installing, and then installing the app updates. So far I have been very pleased. No issues really at all. I do think it may be draining the battery a bit faster but my phone is old so it didn't have the best battery to begin with.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Well I made the jump to the Windows 10 Release Preview Build. I was holding back due to the need for a stable device. It took a couple of hours between downloading, installing, and then installing the app updates. So far I have been very pleased. No issues really at all. I do think it may be draining the battery a bit faster but my phone is old so it didn't have the best battery to begin with.

Just to clarify, there are 3 choices with Windows Phone Insider = Insider Fast, Insider Slow and Insider Release Preview ... which one do we now get exactly?

frankelweeze

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify, there are 3 choices with Windows Phone Insider = Insider Fast, Insider Slow and Insider Release Preview ... which one do we now get exactly?

My insider app is updated and still only shows "Fast" "Slow" and "Production" where production pretty much knocks you off the beta rings. I've never seen "Release Preview" anywhere yet. I must be doing something wrong.....

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
My insider app is updated and still only shows "Fast" "Slow" and "Production" where production pretty much knocks you off the beta rings. I've never seen "Release Preview" anywhere yet. I must be doing something wrong.....

Screenshot attached from my Icon - Just "Apps + Windows Insider App" from Windows 8.1 Denim?

Windows Phone Insider options.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa