Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Once again wanting to attempt W10 on my Icon. But when I go to the Insider app I get "Server Error - a connection error prevented us from downloading programs..... I've tried a couple of soft resets. Any suggestions?

Are you on WiFi? And have you tried going through the process with your phone connected to a WiFi connected PC via USB?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to have to hard reset, Since installing the Threshold build on my Icon, my contacts won't sync back to the phone. I didn't realize it until this evening, though. Yesterday I wanted to text someone whose number wasn't there anymore, and I didn't connect it with the update, until tonight someone texted me who has texted me many times, and there was no name with it, which drove me to look further into contacts. No contacts other than from Facebook and Microsoft Messaging in my phone. Hopefully a hard reset will do it, but I can't do that until tomorrow night.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Are you on WiFi? And have you tried going through the process with your phone connected to a WiFi connected PC via USB?

I have not tried that. I've done the hard reset and then tried just downloading the insider app, I've restored and tried. None of those work. And now for some reason I cannot get the Microsoft Health app to launch in any mode. That really sucks since it is synced to my Band. So I'm going to try to go to my original set up one more time. If I can get MS Health to open I'm staying put. If not, maybe I'll try connecting to pc.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I have not tried that. I've done the hard reset and then tried just downloading the insider app, I've restored and tried. None of those work. And now for some reason I cannot get the Microsoft Health app to launch in any mode. That really sucks since it is synced to my Band. So I'm going to try to go to my original set up one more time. If I can get MS Health to open I'm staying put. If not, maybe I'll try connecting to pc.

Can you give me directions on connecting through pc? I turned off wifi on phone and plugged it in to pc. But it doesn't show phone apps on pc and it still wont install insider to phone. I checked store from pc (running windows 10) and i won't even give me the insider app.

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
hmm I just bought a used Icon as an update from my Verizon Nokia lumia 928. I will wait for at least 2 new builds before i go to Windows 10 insider builds. Microsoft made very bad decision when it did not make a Verizon version of the 950 or 950 XL. that cut down the sales of Windows smart phones tremendously in the USA. I pray that VP of MS devices Panos Panay and his teams Produce a Verizon bound flagship Windows smart phone.
Verizon has had non since the "ICON"

jayblazer

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I believe the general consensus is the problem is with Verizon not Microsoft. Verizon seems uninterested in supporting the platform. That's why we get the updates through the insiders app and not our carrier.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed when I delete several emails in one huge lot, it takes a second or two for my emails that I haven't deleted, to repopulate my screen.

After discovering the quick actions, I prefer to swipe them to delete emails. Selecting anything on the edge of my screen is finicky with the case I have. I'm so glad the store got updated in W10M. That little updates available button in the top right was a pain to get to in 8.1.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
hmm I just bought a used Icon as an update from my Verizon Nokia lumia 928. I will wait for at least 2 new builds before i go to Windows 10 insider builds.

Why wait? I've got the latest Release Preview Build (10586.318) running just fine with no issues. I was like you and wanted to wait around for Verizon to get off their butts for the longest time, but I gave up waiting. I figured since there was no clear upgrade path through Verizon it was unlikely they were going to be supporting Windows Phones much longer anyway. Besides that, I'd rather get my updates directly from the source rather than have them loaded down and limited by a third party before they got to me. W10M is hands down a much better user experience than 8.1 ever was and I'd highly recommend anyone on the fence to take the jump.

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Why wait? I've got the latest Release Preview Build (10586.318) running just fine with no issues. I was like you and wanted to wait around for Verizon to get off their butts for the longest time, but I gave up waiting. I figured since there was no clear upgrade path through Verizon it was unlikely they were going to be supporting Windows Phones much longer anyway. Besides that, I'd rather get my updates directly from the source rather than have them loaded down and limited by a third party before they got to me. W10M is hands down a much better user experience than 8.1 ever was and I'd highly recommend anyone on the fence to take the jump.

I agree I was waiting until Verizon got off their butt but once the icon went back on the support list and I read Daniels article. I jumped on the insider release preview phone is like a new beast

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually, MS didn't even attempt to go through the authorization process to get the 950 and 950xl on Verizon's network.

I don't think the phone was ever meant to be for Verizon. With the icon being back on the insider support it's going to have to take a really really good phone for me to replace the icon

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the phone was ever meant to be for Verizon. With the icon being back on the insider support it's going to have to take a really really good phone for me to replace the icon

I'd have to agree with you there. I think the best bet for a future high end Windows 10 Mobile on Verizon is the HP Elite x3. Hopefully insider support on the Icon is enough for those of us on VZW until then.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I'd have to agree with you there. I think the best bet for a future high end Windows 10 Mobile on Verizon is the HP Elite x3. Hopefully insider support on the Icon is enough for those of us on VZW until then.

I love my Icon now even more. It's been the best phone I've ever had. I've upgraded every two years until now. It would take a significant advancement in hardware or the death of my Icon for me to consider an upgrade at this point. That being said, the HP Elite X3 does look promising so far. Problem is, cell phone coverage in my area is horrid for all of the carriers. They're all decent where I live, but I'm lucky if I get two bars, or an LTE signal for that matter, where I work. Verizon seems to be the best. AT&T is alright. You can forget about Sprint or T-Mobile. So unless it's on Verizon, I probably won't get it. I'd consider switching to AT&T for a deal.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I love my Icon now even more. It's been the best phone I've ever had. I've upgraded every two years until now. It would take a significant advancement in hardware or the death of my Icon for me to consider an upgrade at this point. That being said, the HP Elite X3 does look promising so far. Problem is, cell phone coverage in my area is horrid for all of the carriers. They're all decent where I live, but I'm lucky if I get two bars, or an LTE signal for that matter, where I work. Verizon seems to be the best. AT&T is alright. You can forget about Sprint or T-Mobile. So unless it's on Verizon, I probably won't get it. I'd consider switching to AT&T for a deal.

I'd love any ideas on how to get my Icon to update to WP10. I've hard reset, factory reset, tempted to go to Verizon and see if I can get a new Icon to start with. All I get is a server error when I try to launch the Insider app. Someone suggested updating through my computer. But I don't know how to do that. If anyone has ideas, I'm open.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'd love any ideas on how to get my Icon to update to WP10. I've hard reset, factory reset, tempted to go to Verizon and see if I can get a new Icon to start with. All I get is a server error when I try to launch the Insider app. Someone suggested updating through my computer. But I don't know how to do that. If anyone has ideas, I'm open.
When you roll back to 8.1, are you updating 8.1 completely (Verizon OTA's) before trying to update to 10? Make sure you do that before even installing the Insider app.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to have to hard reset, Since installing the Threshold build on my Icon, my contacts won't sync back to the phone. I didn't realize it until this evening, though. Yesterday I wanted to text someone whose number wasn't there anymore, and I didn't connect it with the update, until tonight someone texted me who has texted me many times, and there was no name with it, which drove me to look further into contacts. No contacts other than from Facebook and Microsoft Messaging in my phone. Hopefully a hard reset will do it, but I can't do that until tomorrow night.

I was just about to start a hard reset of my Icon when I saw that the next build is now available. Downloading now. Hopefully that'll fix the contacts issue.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I was just about to start a hard reset of my Icon when I saw that the next build is now available. Downloading now. Hopefully that'll fix the contacts issue.

Please do us all a solid and give a review of how 14342 is on your Icon. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger, but a bit hesitant. I need email, text, and phone stability.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
When you roll back to 8.1, are you updating 8.1 completely (Verizon OTA's) before trying to update to 10? Make sure you do that before even installing the Insider app.

I keep asking the phone to check for updates. But it says it up to date. About says I have 8.1 Denim. Is there something else I should try to get an update? Can you give me step by step? Like do factory reset, then update (anything different than having phone check for updates), then download insider app.

Last edited:

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I keep asking the phone to check for updates. But it says it up to date. About says I have 8.1 Denim. Is there something else I should try to get an update? Can you give me step by step? Like do factory reset, then update (anything different than having phone check for updates), then download insider app.

I don't know. It was pretty smooth and seamless for me. I registered on http://insider.windows.com, downloaded the Windows Insider app from the store, chose the ring I wanted (Release Preview Ring), plugged in my phone into the charger, checked for an update and it started downloading and installing. If you've already done a hard reset, a factory reset, updated to the latest OTA version of 8.1, and followed the steps above, I have no idea what's wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12