Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

jayblazer

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm on 318 and everything has been fine until today. Somehow notifications for Outlook and Skype were not working. It took some messing around and a few resets to get them going again. Very strange???

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I have the latest build on my Lumia Icon, however as with all the previous builds, the battery lasts like half an hour on a full charge and it takes forever to charge it. Plus, very few chargers are actually capable of charging my Icon, including wireless ones. All that happens is the phone gets super hot (borderline burning my hand) while the battery just keeps draining. I'm going to roll back to 8.1 soon and see if that makes everything normal again. It sounds like the Icon is in need of a firmware update though.

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
That's awesome for you... my experience on my Icon was abysmal. Great GUI for what that's worth, but battery hit made it impractical for my daily driver. Rolled back to .318 - I have no plans on updating again until a stable release is issued and I'm going to wait a week or two after that release and monitor the results here in Windows Central very closely.

The battery drain is incredible on this build. It won't last 5 hours and that's in airplane mode. I'll wait and see what they release tomorrow. Hopefully there's a fix in the next preview release. I will say it's not just the Icon that is having the issue. I have seen people with 1520, 930 and the 950/950xl all complaining about battery drain. At least us Icon owners aren't alone with the issues on the 14324.1003 build.

Matt Poe62

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm on currently on 14342.1003 and I had to do a hard reset after the first install of 14342. I'm suffering from all the same power issues everyone has described, but I don't want to roll back. The interface is nice and working well in most other respects. Yes there are still plenty of nigly things that need fixed (eg. Outlook Mail live tile doesn't work, but it's reported, be patient).
My battle operating procedures to minimize the drain:
- Turn off cellular data whenever I'm in wifi access. Mostly at home.
- Plug into power at the office so I can use cellular data. I don't have wifi at the office and I like to tether my personal SP3
- Travel with portable power resource, so I can use cellular data if truly needed. This is just good common sense in this day of multiple digital toys.
- I turned off background apps for Microsoft Health and Facebook, since both seemed to be big users. I don't really need them to be live updating.

my two cents.

Last edited:

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Matt,
I don't want to roll back either. The OS runs awesome. I have cut back all and any apps that I don't need to run in the background. I took my Icon off the charger at 7:00 am this morning and I'm already down to 21%. 4 hours and the battery was darn near drained. Man I hope they find the issue quick.

Shane

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I didn't want to roll my phone back, either, but I gave in and did it because it just isn't reasonable to use my 2014 Icon the same way I used my 1992 Motorola brick phone.

electricgary

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I rolled back today and updated to .318. It is very stable and there are no real issues. I didn't mind only using wifi until I needed to use cell data then the battery went fast. I need to use something a little more reliable and 1003 was not. Maybe on the next one.they will have the stuff fixed. I'll give it another shot but only after I hear that it does not have any really bad issues.

MsftMan

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Rolling back to .318 put my Lumia Icon back to where it should be power consumption wise. They built the OS so that the average user would keep Cellular Data, WiFi, and Bluetooth on so it could discover and switch when necessary. With .318 I can do that with a "normal" battery hit.

BTW... some folks have said they're willing to put up with the battery drain until a fix is in for .1003. However, that means your battery is going through a LOT more charging discharging "cycles" and eating away at a battery that is already 2 years old. These batteries life cycle is judged on the number of recharge/discharge cycles.

I installed a new OEM battery in my Icon about 4-5 months ago, so I wasn't as worried... but still the drain was ridiculous.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Is the battery drain for .318 better or about the same as the WP8.1? The newest build is just unacceptable and I'm thinking about going back to 8.1 for now, but if .318 is just as reliable as 8.1, then I'll roll back to that.

JHunsaker

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Matt,
I don't want to roll back either. The OS runs awesome. I have cut back all and any apps that I don't need to run in the background. I took my Icon off the charger at 7:00 am this morning and I'm already down to 21%. 4 hours and the battery was darn near drained. Man I hope they find the issue quick.

Shane

I am having the same problem and checked the battery usage by app today and the Microsoft health app has used 71 % of the battery from the last day and I haven't even opened the app in a week. Is this app a common problem for everyone?

cmack0

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
MS knows about it, the insider team has commented about it on their individual twitter feeds. Mine was terrible but has gotten better since i turned off cellular data. many apps perform background sync tasks with one drive which would use cell data and kill the phone. Apps like ms health, photos/videos, One drive app, all are major contributors.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Is the battery drain for .318 better or about the same as the WP8.1? The newest build is just unacceptable and I'm thinking about going back to 8.1 for now, but if .318 is just as reliable as 8.1, then I'll roll back to that.
I've been using the Threshold (10586) builds since the day they were available (I don't remember when that was now), and they've been pretty good all the way up to and including .318. There have been hiccups along the way (hotspot not working is the one that comes to mind, and was a problem for me), but they've been ironed out. Going with 10586.318 is fine.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The point is, up until the hub opened, I had no idea how to report feedback for the mobile hotspot.
You asked a question. I provided a correct response. Your response to that was incorrect and unwarranted. I'll be sure to think twice before answering your queries again.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You asked a question. I provided a correct response. Your response to that was incorrect and unwarranted. I'll be sure to think twice before answering your queries again.

No your quote was wrong. The feedback hub just opened a few days ago. There was even an article on the front page. I got an email from MS a couple weeks ago promoting the Hub, only to find it wasn't available. My question was simple. I asked how to report feedback for the mobile hotspot not working on my device. A better answer was given when another user stated they had to do a hard reset to get their mobile hotspot working.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
iS THERE ANYONE SATISFIED WITH THIS UPDATE?

I went straight to this build so no reference point. But I love the interface. Still discovering things about it. Like today realized my Skype showed up in my messenger along with my text but a different color. I like that. Camera starts faster from camera button with locked screen. Like the transparent tiles and that you can make them more or less transparent. Think I'll like the folders once I have a chance to play with them more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb