Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

MNBobster

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Installed Windows 10 the day it was released. Everything works fine except the "Gestures Beta" app. Being as it is a Microsoft app, you would think they could keep up. Another example of not understanding your customers needs. W10 uses a tad more battery.

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I updated to 10 and lost all my contacts. VZW says there in the cloud but I didn't have cloud just backup assistant plus.
Also cant get Cortana to do texts in car. It worked on 8 stopped on 8..1 and still doesn't on 10. over two hours on the phone with VZW and they want me to reset my phone.
I guess I'll start by going to Microsoft store and then a VZW store. The lack of Cortana speech for texts in car is annoying. The loss of contacts is obviously much more than that.

abausch

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, my contacts were missing for a couple of hours after I updated to W10. I don't know if it was lagging because every app I had was trying to re-install at the same time, but later in the day, everything was back the way it should be. If you're trying to do "Hey Cortana" in the car, you have to give permissions again for that (it turns OFF when you update). Hope the Microsoft Store is able to help you!

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Do a hard reset and then adjust your background apps. Had to do the same with my wife's 640. She's back to a day and half again like on 8.1.

Never considered doing a hard reset. How do you get everything back on your phone/start screen returned after doing that? Or is there a way?

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Never considered doing a hard reset. How do you get everything back on your phone/start screen returned after doing that? Or is there a way?
Do a backup with both options set to on (one is for apps, the other is Start screen layout, etc.) and then select restore from backup when prompted during the reset. FWIW, the general rule is DON'T restore from a backup as part of a hard reset. Which means setting up everything again but it's the best way to ensure a clean install.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Installed W10M last night, all went well with just a few minor issues, all seems resolved. We'll see how the battery does today. So far I love W10M!

Crimson Orion

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
I've tried using the Upgrade Advisor, but it says the upgrade isn't available for my phone right now. I've got an Icon (929) from Verizon and did a hard reset without restoring from a back up. Any suggestions or have they stopped doing the upgrade for some reason?

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I've tried using the Upgrade Advisor, but it says the upgrade isn't available for my phone right now. I've got an Icon (929) from Verizon and did a hard reset without restoring from a back up. Any suggestions or have they stopped doing the upgrade for some reason?

I think you need to be running the latest 8.1 from Verizon to have the Upgrade Advisor work. I just used the upgrade advisor last night, it worked fine for me, and I'm on Verizon too.

Crimson Orion

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
I think you need to be running the latest 8.1 from Verizon to have the Upgrade Advisor work. I just used the upgrade advisor last night, it worked fine for me, and I'm on Verizon too.

Thank you for your quick reply, Steve. I'm running OS version 8.10.14219.341. When I check for updates using "phone update", it says my phone is up to date. I live in eastern NC (I know this is a long shot) but could the rollout be regionalized? Another note: I used to use the Insider builds on this phone back before Verizon pushed 8.1. I've reset my phone back to factory settings (clean wipe, no backups). Would using the Windows Device Recovery Tool be the way to go? I'll give that shot (since I haven't done much with it since my latest clean wipe) and see if that makes a difference.

In the meantime, would someone be able to confirm the latest 8.1 OS version I should be seeing to get to the 10 upgrade? Thank you!

Crimson Orion

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
Hmm. Apparently, the WDRT was the swift kick in the pants my phone needed. After using it, I had an update from Verizon and then tried Upgrade Advisor again and it says my phone is eligible. Now downloading the update via Phone Update :D. Thank you for the tip!

johnzot

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
SteveNoza,
Any update on how the battery is doing, in relation to 8.1? I am very anxious to install W10M, but, worried about battery life. For now, 8.1 lasts a full day, with casual use.
Thanks in advance

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
SteveNoza,
Any update on how the battery is doing, in relation to 8.1? I am very anxious to install W10M, but, worried about battery life. For now, 8.1 lasts a full day, with casual use.
Thanks in advance

I haven't done a full on work day yet, but I haven't ran out of battery with casual use. I did the update Friday night and it got really hot then, but I left it on the charger overnight. W01M is still working great, with just a few times of experiencing lag doing stuff. I'm liking 10 way more than 8.1.

speedfrk305

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Just bought a nice Icon off ebay to replace my venerable 822- took it to the Verizon store to get a SIM and activate it and they did a reset. When it was all done, it had an older version of WP10 on it that ended in 418 No idea why it didn't install the new version. Took a full day to update all the apps and it basically had to stay on the charger and got pretty hot. After that, I checked for updates and it showed the latest version- 420 needed to be installed. That happened uneventfully. Everything works but battery life is terrible and the speaker on speaker phone sounds terrible- tinny and distorted, but I don't think that is related to WP10. Not sure I can keep using it like this. Plus, my 822 had glance and tap to wake which I had gotten very used to. But the camera is awesome. Any suggestions for tweaking this thing to help the battery life? Any suggestions on the speaker?

jayblazer

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
It really does take a couple of days for your battery life to get to normal after an O.S. update.. I love/hate every update because I know my battery is going to suck for a few days. As for the tinny sounding speaker phone I would try the volume down + wake reset and see if that fixes it for you I have that every now and then on mine.

speedfrk305

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
It really does take a couple of days for your battery life to get to normal after an O.S. update.. I love/hate every update because I know my battery is going to suck for a few days. As for the tinny sounding speaker phone I would try the volume down + wake reset and see if that fixes it for you I have that every now and then on mine.

Thanks... it does seem like the battery is doing better. Lasted almost all day today but it is Sunday so I won't have a good feel for it until tomorrow. How do you do the volume down + wake reset and what does it do- set certain things back to default?

jayblazer

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
you just hold both of them till "nokia" comes up on the screen then let go. It wont change any settings it just resprings the phone and is great for fixing little hiccups. It will at first take you to the feedback screen but just keep holding..

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Though I have been using the andoird platform and hardware for many months now...I still have 2 Icons. I always kept one on 8.1 and used it as a wifi/camera basically. The other one I used with Fast Ring OS on Verizon for many months last year and then stopped about March.

Now I have both setup with the official release from Verizon and will go from there. One phone I am setting up for a family member to use now.

My question is about how the Verizon Win10 version is compared to the current fast ring builds with daily use?

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
What is the installed base - or best estimate - of TOTAL number of Lumia Icons "SOLD to date"?

We know that Verizon "dropped the Icon after less than a year" ... but, the Microsoft store "were directly selling them for many months after" as I had a number of friends buy them that way.

So ... I have read as low as 600,000 and as high as 1,000,000 ?

Anybody "know or may have read somewhere"?

Mikael Petersson

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
My girlfriend bought a Lumia Icon two years ago when we were in Orlando on vacation (we are from Sweden) and I was happy to read the news about the upgrade finally coming to Icon. I downloaded the Upgrade Advisor on her phone and it states that the phone is ready for the update but the update is not there when I search for updates. We tried a few times when we were in the US and now that we are home I have tried changing region and language and have restarted a few times but no luck.

I have no idea what is blocking the update and don't want to hard reset it since it's not my phone and she would not be happy if anything is lost.

Anyone have a suggestion what I could try? Contact Microsoft?

YoDaMic

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
My girlfriend bought a Lumia Icon two years ago when we were in Orlando on vacation (we are from Sweden) and I was happy to read the news about the upgrade finally coming to Icon. I downloaded the Upgrade Advisor on her phone and it states that the phone is ready for the update but the update is not there when I search for updates. We tried a few times when we were in the US and now that we are home I have tried changing region and language and have restarted a few times but no luck.

I have no idea what is blocking the update and don't want to hard reset it since it's not my phone and she would not be happy if anything is lost.

Anyone have a suggestion what I could try? Contact Microsoft?

Try checking for updates on the phone while the Upgrade Advisor is checking. Haven't done this on my Icon as I'm on the Fast Ring, but it worked on my girlfriend's 735. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium