Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Since 14393.5 roll out last week my Icon has never been better. Yes I did a hard reset. I even restored from backup. My Icon ROCKS! This is the best version of an Icon to date. The anniversary will only improve it IMHO. I have to hand it to Microsoft. It's been a bumpy road on the Insider fast ring, but the end results have been worth it. I'm now in search of an Icon for my wife! Verizon would have a top tier phone if they rolled out the Icon again with Win 10 Mobile on it. :grincry:

jayblazer

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Since 14393.5 roll out last week my Icon has never been better. Yes I did a hard reset. I even restored from backup. My Icon ROCKS! This is the best version of an Icon to date. The anniversary will only improve it IMHO. I have to hand it to Microsoft. It's been a bumpy road on the Insider fast ring, but the end results have been worth it. I'm now in search of an Icon for my wife! Verizon would have a top tier phone if they rolled out the Icon again with Win 10 Mobile on it. :grincry:
I agree completely! Everything on my phone is so much faster and it connects to wifi and cellular like it should. Not that I wasn't in love with my phonebefore but I am a little bit more now..

theSHAH

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Am I missing something? I've been checking for updates manually on my Nokia Lumia Icon for months and keep being told there are none. I am currently running 8.1 in the US on Verizon.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Am I missing something? I've been checking for updates manually on my Nokia Lumia Icon for months and keep being told there are none. I am currently running 8.1 in the US on Verizon.

YES, you are ... on your Icon, go to the Microsoft Store and get "Upgrade Advisor" and run that and MAGIC !

speedfrk305

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
YES, you are ... on your Icon, go to the Microsoft Store and get "Upgrade Advisor" and run that and MAGIC !

My Icon is running .494 and was apparently on the insider ring from a previous owner since it updated from the 420 Verizon build automatically. It was reset to 8.1 before I took it to the Verizon store to get a SIM but It is still a bit buggy- dropping hotspot for no reason, not remembering wifi locations that were saved, etc. I'm wondering if I do a hard reset before the anniversary update if it will run any better. Battery life has settled down and is pretty decent.
Also, if I run the upgrade advisor on my 822, will I be able to get WP10 on it even though it is not on the official list? I still love glance and tap to wake...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Since 14393.5 roll out last week my Icon has never been better. Yes I did a hard reset. I even restored from backup. My Icon ROCKS! This is the best version of an Icon to date. The anniversary will only improve it IMHO.
No, Anniversary update will not improve it. Why? Because 14393 IS the anniversary update. You are now running what will supposedly go GA tomorrow.

Tomorrow is August 2nd and "Anniversary UPDATE begins" = has anyone seen or read anything about our Icons?
If you're on Insider, you already have what will be released tomorrow. If you're not on Insider, but you're on Windows 10, then....... Yeah, whatever Verizon decides to do. My suggestion would be that if you're not on insider at this point, get on it, at least for this build. You can leave insider as soon as you run the update, and you'll be taken out of the rings.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
No, Anniversary update will not improve it. Why? Because 14393 IS the anniversary update. You are now running what will supposedly go GA tomorrow.

If you're on Insider, you already have what will be released tomorrow. If you're not on Insider, but you're on Windows 10, then....... Yeah, whatever Verizon decides to do. My suggestion would be that if you're not on insider at this point, get on it, at least for this build. You can leave insider as soon as you run the update, and you'll be taken out of the rings.

My Icon shows OS build: 10.0.10586.494 and I know for sure that I had at least 1 OTA Update pushed around mid-July. The "original" UPGRADE from Windows 8.1 Denim was "co-announced" by both Microsoft and Verizon ... but, it was "Upgrade Advisor" that - as I recall - kicked off the whole process. I do have "Windows Insider app" installed, but I just don't remember if I used Insider or just plain "Windows Update"?

However, this must be Microsoft and NOT Verizon as Verizon "discontinued the Icon" almost 2 years ago?

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

I didn't know it was the anniversary update. Thanks hopmedic! The phone is running awesome on this build. Battery life is better than when the phone was on 8.1. And the features cannot compare between the two operating systems. For those on 8.1, you are in for a surprise once you are on Windows 10 mobile. It's what the Icon should have been from the beginning! I'm amazed at how well this 2 year old phone does. I'm searching for another Icon for my wife.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My Icon shows OS build: 10.0.10586.494 and I know for sure that I had at least 1 OTA Update pushed around mid-July. The "original" UPGRADE from Windows 8.1 Denim was "co-announced" by both Microsoft and Verizon ... but, it was "Upgrade Advisor" that - as I recall - kicked off the whole process. I do have "Windows Insider app" installed, but I just don't remember if I used Insider or just plain "Windows Update"?

However, this must be Microsoft and NOT Verizon as Verizon "discontinued the Icon" almost 2 years ago?
So if you got Win10 in July when it was announced for the Icon, what you got was the original Win10 that came out early this year (or on Insider last fall, if memory serves). This is evidenced by your *.10586.* version. Insiders are on the *.14393.* version right now, and as of today, while I haven't seen any announcements yet for release, today is the day that release will become generally available (GA). What Verizon does with that GA is up to Verizon, and they will likely hold it for a while (if they ever release it, since Icon is discontinued). If you want the goodness that is Anniversary Update without waiting for Verizon, you can switch to Insider, go with fast ring, get the install, and if you don't want to take part in the next wave of updates that will become the next update to Windows 10, you can immediately leave the insider program. A quick search should turn up the recent article on Windows Central telling how to leave insider - but you MUST leave WHILE you are on a release build, or you won't be able to leave, if I remember right. I just skimmed over the article at the time, but that seems to be what I recall.

To answer your question, the update that you received on the 10586 builds came from Verizon through Update Advisor app. Yes, shocking, I know.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification, but I am pretty sure that Gabe Aul said that the Icon would get Anniversary Edition once available?

DCTonkaTruck

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but this morning, my phone was completely dead. Once I got it a little bit charged, it kept rebooting. I deleted a bunch of apps and finally the phone came back up, but it kept dying. I finally plugged it into a high-discharge battery and managed to get it to stay on long enough to run a back-up and then do a reset of the phone.

It seems like every time the system comes online and connects to Verizon, affixes it's location, it just crashes and reboots. I'm going to try to do a hard reset without restoring from backup, but has anyone else had this problem? I'm starting to think I've had this phone for too long and it's just time to bite the bullet.

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
anybody here using Redstone on their Icon with a Garmin wearable? The folks over at Garmin forums are complaining that their smartwatch notifications are working only intermittently on the current update - the Garmin app being actually open in the foreground is the only way to guarantee notifications are received. I'm weighing whether I'd rather risk losing my notifications and have a better version of W10 or live for a while longer with 10586.494.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I have my Icon, and a Garmin Fenix 3 HR. Notifications are very intermittent......sometimes non-existent. And it doesn't matter whether the Garmin app is open or not. Its not just the Garmin though; I have the same problem with my MS Band 2. I even did a hard reset and reinstalled everything. For a day or so I had no notifications at all, but now they are working...sometimes. Sometimes I'll get the notification on both, sometimes on one and not the other, sometimes I'll get the notification on one and on the other one a minute or so later. Very frustrating that notifications on both devices have always worked flawlessly with my Android phone, but MS can't even get notifications to work reliably with their own Band 2. If I didn't like the Icon so much I'd have tossed it, but it has so much more personality than my Android phone.

The Cincinnati Kid

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I'm late to the party for this update. I haven't been on the site in a while and thought I had read that an official Windows 10 update wasn't coming to the Icon (or maybe that was just the normal doom and gloom :wink: ). I'm reading the comments though and I'm wondering if it's worth it. My battery life was lessened when I switched to 8.1 and I don't want it to lose much more, although I understand there will be some loss. It also seems like it is rather buggy. Should I go ahead and download it, or should I wait until a further update, if there is one on the horizon? Also, how hard would it be to go back to 8.1?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb