Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I want to follow up a bit on my post from yesterday.

I ended up doing a hard reset in my office and the phone came up but said it couldn't find a SIM card. It then continued to reboot every few minutes as long as it was plugged into a charger. I decided that after I got done with work, I'd take a chance on going down to the Verizon store to see if they could help.

The Verizon guy pulled the SIM card out and put it back in. The phone then came online and stayed online without rebooting. I thought, well, maybe the hard reset finally took and now it's stabilized. So, I abandoned my plans to simply buy a new phone (or to buy a crappy phone and wait until Verizon finally gets a high-end Windows Smart Phone).

As I started loading in my different email accounts, the intermittent rebooting started again. So, I've cut down the number of accounts that my phone checks and it seemed to stabilize a bit... until this morning.

I've made a last ditch effort to try and go to the Insider Slow Ring in the hopes that there are enough changes in the build from the reset release that maybe this issue has been resolved, but it doesn't seem to have made any kind of difference. I am now on OS 10.0.10586.494. I've been deleting Apps left and right to see if it will stabilize the phone, but I think this thing is just DONE. I'm toying with the idea of trying to limp along to 8/9 and see if the anniversary release to windows mobile comes to Verizon and hoping that makes a difference, but I'm not sure I have much reason to hope.

I would definitely appreciate any advice y'all might have.

-P
I would try one more thing before replacing the phone. Download the Windows Device Recovery Tool from Microsoft, and reinstall the original OS to the phone. Since you've already done what sounds like several resets, this may not work, but IMO it is worth a shot. The problems that you're having sound like they are likely hardware failure, but it's always worth a shot to take it back to original, as something may have become corrupted in the Win10 download that you installed.

Good luck.

NMCynthia

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Could it be that your ICON just needs a new battery?

A couple of months ago my phone started acting up, going black, rebooting, etc. It finally just completely went black. It couldn't have happened at a worse time, my husband needed emergency surgery, and everything was crazy. I went to Verizon and bought a Lumia 735, which was the only Windows phone that they had, because you NEED a phone in situations like that! It was okay (at least it got the update to W10M), but still it wasn't anywhere near as good as the ICON, and it was making me NUTS! When things settled down a bit at the hospital, I got to thinking "what do other people do when their phone breaks down?" I've never had a phone break or anything, so I didn't have the thing insured. Then it dawned on me ... you have it repaired!

I took it to a repair place, they put in a new battery, screen and charging port, and I got a new ICON in 2 weeks for $180.00 (plus the $192.00 for the Lumia 735 that I'm still paying for!) It's an expensive learning experience, but really, when there's no new Windows Smartphones available, it's worth it to get a good phone repaired. Then Verizon gave us the W10M update, and it works wonderfully! Here's hoping that we get the Anniversary Update!

Just a thought!

DCTonkaTruck

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. In the interests of staying connected I went back to Verizon and have them give me a new SIM. The phone still wasn't stable, so I bought the low end Samsung and transferred my line to that phone.

The next day, I attempted the Device Recovery Tool. The Icon is now back on Windows 8. I am not really sure if it is stable. I have been trying to get it to Upgrade to Windows 10, but it keeps saying it is 'up to date'.

My guess now is that there may be something about an active SIM card that prevents the phone from grabbing the update. I am half- tempted to take the phone back down to VZW and see if they will temporarily activate a new line so I can try the update.

It really would be nice to be able to return this Samsung for a refund and go back to my Icon.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The next day, I attempted the Device Recovery Tool. The Icon is now back on Windows 8. I am not really sure if it is stable. I have been trying to get it to Upgrade to Windows 10, but it keeps saying it is 'up to date'.
Make sure you install the Upgrade Advisor app and use that to check for the update.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I'm late to the party for this update. I haven't been on the site in a while and thought I had read that an official Windows 10 update wasn't coming to the Icon (or maybe that was just the normal doom and gloom :wink: ). I'm reading the comments though and I'm wondering if it's worth it. My battery life was lessened when I switched to 8.1 and I don't want it to lose much more, although I understand there will be some loss. It also seems like it is rather buggy. Should I go ahead and download it, or should I wait until a further update, if there is one on the horizon? Also, how hard would it be to go back to 8.1?

I updated to WP 10 a couple of months ago when they said it was stable. I've been really happy with it. Had to work out a few bugs with my MS Band. But everything seems to be working.

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I updated to WP 10 a couple of months ago when they said it was stable. I've been really happy with it. Had to work out a few bugs with my MS Band. But everything seems to be working.

are you on the 14393 update? Is your Band still getting text/call notifications? Mine updated overnight from 10586.494 and now my Garmin watch isn't getting notifications, as with other posters here and on the Garmin forum.

DCTonkaTruck

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey NMCynthia - Where did you take your phone to get the new battery? Did they have to order anything special?

PS. I installed the Upgrade Advisor and while the phone has been trying to download and install it, the system just reboots every few minutes. I am not sure it is the battery, but I just am not sure what else to try.

Last edited:

NMCynthia

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I took it to Full Bars Cell Phone Repair in Albuquerque, NM. They were totally upfront about what everything would cost, including the "maybe" (the charging port), and how long it would take to order parts and trouble shoot. I was totally apprehensive about everything, but it all went down as they said, and my phone has worked great since the repair ... Windows 10 update went off without a hitch, and the other update today. I am a total ICON ******, and look forward to another 2 years of this phone working flawlessly. Maybe by then there will be a flagship phone equal to this one.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, just wanted to say that Redstone has been rock solid for me the past month or so. I'd been on the fast ring since about April or May, and for most of the builds battery life was better than production (and bugs weren't too bad - better in some ways).

Anyway, what really matters is the RTM 14393, and yeah, it's very solid. Battery life is by far the best it's been on 10 and probably better than it was on 8.1. I just rebooted it for the first time in over a week, only to install the new CU and turn off insider previews. The ONLY bug I see is occasional camera crashing/causing my phone to reboot - but I've had that happen since 8.1 (has anyone else had this? I think it's a hardware defect that's the root cause).

One thing that really helped make it the best battery life was turning off the microsoft health background task. I never turned off the step tracking in the system settings, but that app is seriously broken and battery life improved dramatically after disabling it.

thehometownnerd

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Good afternoon. I was curious how you did this..."turning off the microsoft health background task"? and what did you lose after you did that? Although this Icon seems way better at MS Band 2 interaction than my HTC One M8 was, the M8 seemed to just drain the band's battery something terrible after I placed it on the insider fast ring using the registry hack. Haven't had the icon for a full day yet, so still not sure how the battery life is for me.

Thanks for your help,
Larry

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Good afternoon. I was curious how you did this..."turning off the microsoft health background task"? and what did you lose after you did that? Although this Icon seems way better at MS Band 2 interaction than my HTC One M8 was, the M8 seemed to just drain the band's battery something terrible after I placed it on the insider fast ring using the registry hack. Haven't had the icon for a full day yet, so still not sure how the battery life is for me.

Thanks for your help,
Larry

Well, I don't use a health band, I only used it for the built in step counting, so I can't really say what you lose by turning it off. I imagine if you have a Band you'll not want to turn off the background task.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
are you on the 14393 update? Is your Band still getting text/call notifications? Mine updated overnight from 10586.494 and now my Garmin watch isn't getting notifications, as with other posters here and on the Garmin forum.

I just got an update and I'm on 14393.67. My band still works fine and I get text and call notifications.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Something interesting with this latest update. when I'm done using cortana, it seems to automatically open the camera. Not a big deal, but weird.

MSFanboy2

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Back here with an update after a couple of hard resets. Just a reminder that the issue I was facing was battery draining really fast. With moderate use, it barely lasted 8 hours.,
I did a hard reset and restored the apps from backup. Although minor bugs were taken care of, there was no improvement with respect to battery life. After living with it for a week, i went for another hard reset with clean install. Unfortunately that also failed to make significant impact on battery life. It was a very minor impact. I'm upto 9.5 hours to 10 hours battery life but no longer. Looking at Battery Usage, Display is using significant percentage with whatsapp being a big battery user. Oddly Facebook app is a big data drainer. 60% of my data usage was by Facebook app even though i barely used it for 30 mins a day.
Hoping to get an update that will solve my battery issues. I can live without Facebook app but not without battery.
OS Version: 10.0.10586.545
Device: bought in Apr 2014 - Lumia Icon

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Back here with an update after a couple of hard resets. Just a reminder that the issue I was facing was battery draining really fast. With moderate use, it barely lasted 8 hours.,
I did a hard reset and restored the apps from backup. Although minor bugs were taken care of, there was no improvement with respect to battery life. After living with it for a week, i went for another hard reset with clean install. Unfortunately that also failed to make significant impact on battery life. It was a very minor impact. I'm upto 9.5 hours to 10 hours battery life but no longer. Looking at Battery Usage, Display is using significant percentage with whatsapp being a big battery user. Oddly Facebook app is a big data drainer. 60% of my data usage was by Facebook app even though i barely used it for 30 mins a day.
Hoping to get an update that will solve my battery issues. I can live without Facebook app but not without battery.
OS Version: 10.0.10586.545
Device: bought in Apr 2014 - Lumia Icon

I'm have the same thing with my icon as you 8 hours maybe and I hardly use it then i have to do a charge. My icon is not on the insider build, I'm on build 10586.545 Verizon. Has anyone got the anniversary build yet on your icon with being on 10586.545 non insider and how did you. As of now I still have not received any update?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion