Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been having issues with Outlook lately, but not sure if its specific to the latest preview build. Quite often when syncing I'm getting the error code 0x85010014, but then sometimes it seems to work fine. The reason I say might not be the latest mobile update is that I'm also having syncing problems from time to time with the desktop client (Outlook 2016).

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
So I'm on my 4th Icon in about 2 months. 2 had microphone issues, 3rd had camera issues. This one seems to be good except I can't find Hey Cortana. I did all the updates. Not sure what is wrong. Any ideas?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else tried this yet? I downloaded and ran the OS and it was extremely buggy and more out of tune than the videos I've seen for other phones. UI was all screwed up to the point where everything was blown up and I couldn't even get a background wallpaper to work.
Blame VZ and lack of fw support for it. When I was using Verizon that was my most favorite windows phone though.

sent by mTalk

johnzot

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Well.. it was only a matter of time .. Got my phone 2-23-14 (release week) ...2 mics dead, camera off, and battery lasting only 4-6 hours with light use (20+ hours if I don't touch it). The best phone I've owned, and I blame VZ for not supporting any firmware updates. Unfortunately, staying on VZ means a new phone/new OS. I will keep tabs and be waiting for Panos and the Surface Phone - definitely will miss W10M (actually miss the Hubs in WP8.1)

One last note - the people on this forum are awesome and very helpful. Thanks to all. ~ john

johnzot

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Spicypadthai - Honestly, I could live with the flaws that I've had for nearly 3 years (Camera, Mics..etc), but, the battery life was the final killer. And personally, I do not believe a "new" battery would change that. It's W10M and the lack of a decent firmware update. For instance, I use WhatsApp quite a bit, and the constant resuming or crashing was just one of the issues - and battery killers. I truly hate to say - but, I should have switched long ago. Although the iPhone iOS is neither as elegant nor visually appealing as W10M, it does the job exceptionally well. An example is the convenience of the fingerprint scanner integrated into many apps. From using the password manager to buying tickets (via Fandango with Paypal) and having them electronically sent - just a better overall experience .

Now that I've switched, it will be hard to return for the simple reason - MS makes all their apps available on iOS, and the experience is consistent, if not better. As MS said, it's an "iPhone Pro". I have Cortana, which strangely enough, works better. (example: I just took a trip and upon landing, asked if I wanted a nearby restaurant, reminded me of a meeting, correctly reminds me when to head to work, etc..).

That all said, if the 950 (iris scanner)/ HPx3 (fingerprint/iris scanner) / ANY new high-end phone would have come to Verizon, I would have stayed. After 2 weeks of experience (still learning), I will say that iOS has it's flaws: 1. boring and visually unappealing 2. Clunky? - for example, I hate iTunes and the photo app compared to W10M 3. Restrictive - no true file manager or the ability to move media onto the phone without iTunes (I think).

My apologies for the long response - I do not mean to negative to W10M, as I still believe it's a better design style than Android and iOS. However, MS turned off investment funnel in 2015, and left the Icon /Verizon users to desire much more.

One last note - for all those who keep mentioning "apps, apps, apps", I do believe the gap is real for most - but, it was not for me (I don't' care about Snapchat nor Pok?mon Go). Once you use a Password Manager, you typically end up doing your business using the built-in browser (at least in my experience).

Thank you again - and I will be watching out for Panos and the Surface Phone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Johnzot,

I'm sorry to see you go. I'm a loyal Icon user, as well, and am also quite disappointed that none of the newer phones work on Verizon. I have an iPad mini (not my own, but belongs to a non-profit that I am a part of), and I find it clunky as well. I have tried Cortana on it, and find it rather... odd. The UI is way oversized, as if it was written for the phone, and is just stretched out over the larger screen. I have to admit, I've only tried it a couple times, and each time I've launched it, I've quickly closed it and went straight for Bing. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't use the iPad often enough to bother trying to learn much about it. It was bought mainly for the ability to use Square, which is the only app I've ever found myself desiring that isn't on Windows. If they'd have a Windows app - even a Windows x86 desktop app - I wouldn't have bothered spending the money on the iPad.

I, too am watching for the next Windows phone to hit Verizon, but if it doesn't, I'll hang onto my Icon until it dies (there is nothing lacking right now), and when that happens, I'll buy another Icon - somehow. Oh - I'm not seeing the battery problem you've described, either, but I'm not using What'sApp, either.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Johnzot,

I'm sorry to see you go. I'm a loyal Icon user, as well, and am also quite disappointed that none of the newer phones work on Verizon. I have an iPad mini (not my own, but belongs to a non-profit that I am a part of), and I find it clunky as well. I have tried Cortana on it, and find it rather... odd. The UI is way oversized, as if it was written for the phone, and is just stretched out over the larger screen. I have to admit, I've only tried it a couple times, and each time I've launched it, I've quickly closed it and went straight for Bing. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't use the iPad often enough to bother trying to learn much about it. It was bought mainly for the ability to use Square, which is the only app I've ever found myself desiring that isn't on Windows. If they'd have a Windows app - even a Windows x86 desktop app - I wouldn't have bothered spending the money on the iPad.

I, too am watching for the next Windows phone to hit Verizon, but if it doesn't, I'll hang onto my Icon until it dies (there is nothing lacking right now), and when that happens, I'll buy another Icon - somehow. Oh - I'm not seeing the battery problem you've described, either, but I'm not using What'sApp, either.

Long time ICON user that had to move to Android due to no upgrade options from Verizon. I have a review unit of a 950xl and despite "app gap", I might be using it if I could on Verizon. I even so much went to XDA-Developers to see if there was any way to get it to work and none. So, I'm forcing myself to be happy in the Android world and for the most part, I am. I still keep my phone as Microsoft centric as I can, even using Arrow Launcher. The Moto Z Force Droid is the phone I settled on, even after using a Note 7 (which I LOVED) and Pixel (camera is overrated.) The Moto Z Force Droid is the best option for me right now. I still keep up with Windows Phone...my mom, dad, mother in law, and two of my sister in laws are still using them.

My daughter has an un-activated 640 that she uses and I love how Windows Family Safety works across her Windows PC, XBOX and Phone. This is an underrated gem for parents for sure. And I keep my Lumia 950xl up on the Fast Ring of Insiders and I've been known to take it for the camera alone (though it is on par with the Moto Z Force Droid.)

I am adjusting to a mixed ecosystem (Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Plex) though it was simpler with "all in" Microsoft.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My daughter has an un-activated 640 that she uses and I love how Windows Family Safety works across her Windows PC, XBOX and Phone. This is an underrated gem for parents for sure.

Agreed on the Family Safety. My step-daughter and step-son love their Windows Phones (I think she's on an 835 and he's on a One M8). Neither is good with tech, though, so when it comes to family safety, I am on-record as being parent to my grandkids (step-daughter's kids). I wish they were on Windows Phones, but their mother went cheap and got cheap Androids, so there's nothing I can do with that, but on the PC, I like getting the report. There's only one thing that is a pain, though - the fact that Family Safety can't do a thing about web traffic in browsers other than Edge and IE. Fortunately, looking at the reports, it looks like they're using Edge, and not Chrome or Firefox, and in fact, I got an email one day requesting permission for my grandson to go to a website that was blocked. First time that happened (he's 16). I liked that. I just wish there were a way to either block other browsers, or track them. Seems to me like it wouldn't be that hard to do - I mean you can block sites by changing the hosts file, but that affects everyone, and isn't something I can change easily from my house, and not something their mother should ever do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett