Traveling to Europe with my Icon?

WP Newbie

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe this fall, and I was wondering what I needed to do before we left to get everything set up so that it would work over there. I'm taking it as a camera, but also as a GPS and communication device--or at least that's the hope! I've heard that they have different electrical outlets over there too--if I bought an adapter, would it be universal across the EU? (Sorry for the silly questions, but I've never been outside of the US before!) :amaze:

nematombo15

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I am not from Europe but I would suggest buying an adaptor when you arrive and see what socket pins they use. Cant you get anything universal maybe? Also download all the maps as well

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Europe is standard in terms of plug (unless you venture to the UK). May be worth getting a local pay as you go SIM once you're there if that would save you money. As above download all the maps you need and make sure you turn off mobile data to save any mega costs!

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Probably advice you don't need but pick up an adaptor from a local hardware store or somewhere like BestBuy rather than an airport as airport prices will be huge.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've lived Germany for a while and have traveled there a few times. You can buy plug adaptor for cheap. Under $5 in most cases. You don't need to worry about a converter since most modern electronics are auto-switching between 110V/60Hz (USA and North America) and 220V/50Hz (pretty much the rest of the world). Still double check all of your power adaptors, including laptop, electric razors, phone chargers, etc., just to make sure it is auto-switching.

For mainland Europe this is the one you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3116992

If you plan on going to the UK (or anywhere else), you can get an adaptor kit that will have plug for every known outlet type worldwide.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3116992

As far as connectivity, the Icon is unlocked GSM/LTE so a pre-paid or pay as you go SIM should work. You can purchase one once you get there. They have shops that sell them, they can even help you set them up. You may not get LTE, but you will definitely get GSM and probably HSPA+.

Enjoy your trip. Are you going to Oktoberfest?

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got back from France. There's plenty of wifi but if you will need your phone, say at the airport on arrival, be sure to have Verizon global activated. Overseas data is expensive so go easy on it... Turn off auto uploads etc. I used Here Drive and it seemed to lag on my position so it was sometimes confusing. The maps were otherwise accurate. Btw, the Icon photos are fantastic! Did miss having a telephoto lens at times.

WP Newbie

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
OK, I have no idea why I never got email updates to this, and then I completely forgot about just checking it to see. Thanks for all of your help! We leave tomorrow, so I'm glad that I logged in to ask (yet another) question! :)

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm a cheapskate, so my international travel regimen is

1. download offline maps of the countries I'm going to
2. buy a 100MB packet of data and reduced airtime for an urgent data/call/text needs (you have to call VZW to do this, it's like $25)
3. set the datasense counter so I know how much of the 100MB I have used
4. turn off data connection once I land. I leave on the phone/text connection usually but sometimes turn it off
5. use HERE maps in offline mode. works great w/o a data connection

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster