Antimicrobial agents gone from Lumia Icon after one year?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I purchased a Lumia Icon in August of 2014. When i first got the device i was simply amazed on how the screen stayed clean ALL the time. If i smudged the screen with finger prints or grease, i would set the phone down and 15 minutes later they would be gone! It was like magic. I never had to clean my phones screen. I researched this a little bit and found out that it had Gorilla Glass 3 with antimicrobial agents on it. I thought this was to just kill the germs but it actually kept the glass clean as well. My 822 was always a mess and could barely see through the finger prints and grease but my Icon would stay crystal clean.

This lastest for awhile, now in June 2015, i find it doesn't seem to be working at all. I have to clean the screen constantly and it always stays dirty unless i act. So my question is this. Do the antimicrobial agents wear off after awhile and is there anything that can be done about it? Have other people experienced similar issues with this? I'm guessing its something that is sprayed on the phone at factory and wears off eventually or is it embedded within the Gorilla Glass?

Thanks in advance.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
you're looking for oleophobic coating and the answer is yes, it does wear off. i'm considering purchasing some to reapply

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This particular product doesn't say this, but after some research I have found that phones with Gorilla Glass III AND Oleophobic Coating usually have at least 2 coatings. Not all Gorilla Glass III has the coating.

To get multiple coatings for better/easier cleaning, let the first coating dry for 24 to 48 hours, then apply the second coat. A second coat will make it last longer, but I can't say it would last 2x longer, so you may not be getting the same bang for your buck.

I also can't guarantee this information is entirely accurate, because I honestly can't remember the source. Do some research on applying it by doing a few web searches and I'm sure you'll come up with the best way to handle it.

Another option if you don't want to purchase the coating is to locate a good quality (that has good reviews) tempered glass screen protector that has the oleophobic coating already on it. Don't grab the first one you see, because they can range in price from $4 to $30 for the same brand and model, depending on who you buy it from. I paid $6 including shipping for my last one. Tempered Glass isn't really a necessity for Gorilla Glass 3, but it was easier and cheaper for me than reapplying the coating, and I'm a little on the lazy side and cheap side with that stuff.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If i smudged the screen with finger prints or grease, i would set the phone down and 15 minutes later they would be gone! It was like magic.

What? I'm fairly certain this in your head.

I generally just wipe my phone against my t-shirt or with a microfiber cloth. Haven't ever needed to apply oleophobic coating on any phone. Sure the oleophobic coating that came with the phone wears away. But it wouldn't really make a major difference until years later.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
What? I'm fairly certain this in your head.

I generally just wipe my phone against my t-shirt or with a microfiber cloth. Haven't ever needed to apply oleophobic coating on any phone. Sure the oleophobic coating that came with the phone wears away. But it wouldn't really make a major difference until years later.

Depending on usage, oleophobic coating for most users will last between 3 and 6 months. Getting a year out of it is great. Getting more than one year is extraordinary. With the heavy usage I put my phone through, mine lasted about 2 months. I'm on a new phone now, and have been using it for 2 weeks. Love having it back.

And, yeah, 9 times out of 10 I wipe my phone against my t-shirt, with a microfiber cloth, and sometimes my blue jeans. Yeah, the blue jeans is probably why it wears out so quick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05