Sound While Autofocusing on Lumia Icon

thebcooper

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I just purchased a Lumia Icon recently and on going through and testing out various functions, I noticed that the video recording has an odd noise whenever the camera autofocuses.
The device is up to date on everything, Windows 8.1 and Lumia Denim with the latest camera app.

Here is a sample of it (close range, but it does the same noise when focusing on anything )

Right near the end I switched it to manual focus (the "jump" in focus you see and possibly the sound when that happens), but then switched it back to auto which is the noise starting again.

This happens in both surround sound mode and not.

I'm just wondering if this is normal or not. All the sample videos I have looked for either have someone talking or music playing over the video audio itself, or else what is being recorded is noisy enough to possibly hide the autofocus noise if it exists.

Thanks!

Edit:
It may be quiet to hear, but I definitely can hear it with my headphones on. Maybe I'm just deaf and have the volume turned up too high for normal use, but at the same level I listen to music I can hear it.

(work area, so lots of drinks )

Last edited:

thebcooper

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Here is another video sample with talking to give an idea of how loud this is.

Does anyone have a Lumia Icon they can quickly try to see if they have the sound too?

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I can hear it for sure....exactly which camera app are you using? Have you tried Lumia Camera Beta? Maybe try a few other apps just to see if it is a hardware problem.

Carlos002

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I have an Icon but I haven't issued this kind of problem! Try using Lumia Camera beta or better check for updates! Sorry man! If I knew, but my Icon us just fine!
Even with Windows 10... Jajaja

thebcooper

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I can hear it for sure....exactly which camera app are you using? Have you tried Lumia Camera Beta? Maybe try a few other apps just to see if it is a hardware problem.

I'm using either the built in microsoft camera, or else the Lumia camera that is the latest from the store. I'll see if there is a beta one I can download though. Other than that, I'm all up to date!

Edit:
No, the beta camera app does the same thing still :(

ZRLuigi

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes! I have absolutely noticed this noise, you're not alone. I went back and found a video, you can very clearly hear it at the 0:01~0:02 second mark:

youtube.com/watch?v=dst0K9yU6_Q
[I can't link yet, but I hope this is allowed...]

This was with the latest (at least, as of May) Pro camera. I can't say anything about whether or not the noise came after Denim, but I haven't yet found a Black video of mine where you can hear it.

thebcooper

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes! I have absolutely noticed this noise, you're not alone. I went back and found a video, you can very clearly hear it at the 0:01~0:02 second mark:

youtube.com/watch?v=dst0K9yU6_Q
[I can't link yet, but I hope this is allowed...]

This was with the latest (at least, as of May) Pro camera. I can't say anything about whether or not the noise came after Denim, but I haven't yet found a Black video of mine where you can hear it.

Yeah, I asked on reddit and a couple people there said they have it as well, so It's probably not a hardware defect at least, or if it is, it isn't one that signifies something worse will break it seems. (such as the autofocus dying).

It is probably just because these phones have such sensitive microphones, and filter out ambient noise. Also they have one very close to the camera module on the front which is probably what picks it up.

I just figured I would ask as I was not able to find a single thread about it anywhere in my searching online (purchased the phone recently and didn't know if it was a defect).

So to anyone else with this issue, it does seem to be slightly common, if three or so people who responded in total in all the places I posted asking about this count as "common".

Also, cute cat.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05