Nokia Icon inadvertent bricking, how can I unbrick it?

Limon Zerga

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Nokia Icon inadvertent bricking, please help.

I have a Nokia Icon (929) through Verizon. I thought it would be cool to upgrade to the Win 10 version. I do so previously, without any issues, but it was so buggy I reverted back to 8.1.

My phone was about 75% charged when I started. I plugged it in, let the update run and then waited while it started to do the install. This is where things went wrong - very wrong.

The whole time I had the phone plugged in, yet now the phone was giving me the low battery warning (the battery icon with the red sliver), shutting off for a few minutes until it was charged, then powering back on, it starts the install (set of gears with the empty progress bar below it) then shuts off because I get the low battery warning, rinse, repeat, and now this is has become an infinite loop.

Things I've tried so far:

1) Eh, just let it run, eventually it will work. Nope, and then the phone gets almost too hot to hold in your hand as it continues to cycle.

2) Try a soft reset (holding the volume key and display key down for 8-15 seconds when powering up) to kick out of the cycle. Nope, it just powers up (get the Nokia logo) vibrates, shuts down and does the same thing again.

3) Ah HA! Get a "rapid" charger to charge the phone quickly, then plug it back into the slow charger, so it has enough juice to complete the upgrade. Just attempted this to no avail. Phone got EVEN hotter and it still just cycles. This time, after a few power cycles, I got the battery with the question mark, then a power down, and repeat.

At this point, I have no idea how to stop this or solve the problem since the phone is clearly in the middle of updating and won't do anything until the phone is fully charged, but auto starts as soon as you plug the phone in.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!! I love this phone and will hate to throw in the trash if I can't figure this out.

L

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nokia Icon inadvertent bricking, please help.

Use the Nokia recovery tool to recover your phone, get back to 8.1, CHARGE it 100%, while it's on the charger, re-download 10, and try again.

I started this one time with a little over 50% battery and it did the same thing to me...

initram5

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

I had a similar problem with Lumia 930 and it ended with a blue death. I tried everything. Now my phone is in the Nokia service.

mikeharden

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue. Loaded win 10, then had issues with battery draining way too fast. So I went back to 8.1 and got the infinite loop loading screen. I did the hard key reset to get the exclamation point and then plugged into my computer to load up the Nokia/Microsoft software rom fix and it worked. I also started fresh, did not use a backup,skipped sign in, initially. I made sure all apps were updated...the default ones....then did a restart and did not check for system update. Once all working correctly, I signed in but started fresh. No issues after that.

Limon Zerga

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

The Nokia Recovery software worked like a charm. I backed up all my stuff before upgrading, so once the phone was rest, I was good to go.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers