Who is currently using the Lumia Icon?

FiveHorizons88

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
How many of you (Verizon customers) will continue to use your Lumia Icon? I am thinking about buying one but feel a bit weird buying a phone that came out in 2014...please provide me with some guidance!

thanks!

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I have an Icon, best phone I've had. I'm hesitant about replacing it with a 950. Not sure yet if it works with Verizon, so I may stick with my phone. But I'm not sure how Windows 10 Mobile will feel once it's fully developed and released, hopefully works well. But I think it's still a phone capable of great performance for a few more years. If money is tight for a 950 or it isn't on Verizon, the Icon would be my next choice!

MrGecko

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I have an Icon & love it. Absolutely the best phone I've ever had. It has it faults like no SD card slot or removable battery but it has been my best phone to date. The 950 or 950XL will not work on Verizon networks as specified so I am torn. Do I leave a very reliable network (& a company discount) to get the latest phone?

I am seriously considering it since I am sold on Windows 10 & think the 950 will enhance that experience. If AT&T will pay my ETF's then I am willing to jump carriers. (AT&T is a viable option in my area, good signal & coverage)

In short, the Icon (with Denim) is a great phone if Verizon is the only carrier to work in your area. But don't expect Verizon to upgrade or service you. IMHO.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Well we dont really have any choice now do we? There aren't any other Windows phones coming to V$ anytime soon from the looks of things.

That aside I dont know what the big deal with a year old phone is....fact is its the best, faster windows phone out right now and will be second only to the 950s when they come out.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
All true! I don't wanna jump ship of the other carrier is gonna carry the lower of the 2 phones. My Icon is still rockin' and it's such a great phone and the quality is awesome. I've been checkin out the Acer jade primo.

Bowlegz

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I recently just switched from an iPhone 6 Plus to the Icon, and have no regrets! I'm running the preview build of windows 10 with ease, so even though this phone is a year old it can still stomp with the big dogs when it comes to specs and features.

Sandman2749

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm in Canada so not on Verizon obviously but I ordered an Icon off Ebay. I had one about 6 months ago and loved it but gave Android one last chance. Well, that chance is used up and glad to be going back to an Icon.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Lumia 930 last year. Solid phone. I am not getting a 950 because the 930 is perfectly fine. Good horsepower, nice screen and a solid phone.

Still waiting on W10 ...

If you have the money - get the 950, otherwise the last of the Nokias will do you just fine!

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
What! Another Canadian has a 930?!
I thought I was the only one...

I'm in Canada so not on Verizon obviously but I ordered an Icon off Ebay. I had one about 6 months ago and loved it but gave Android one last chance. Well, that chance is used up and glad to be going back to an Icon.

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The Icon has been a workhorse for me, but if the 950 camera blows me away, I'll get it. Otherwise I'm good waiting for the next next generation w full continuum. That SD card does appeal...

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I have had my 928 for 2+ years and AT&T is not strong where I live. Rather than switching to Apple, I'm thinking about just buying an Icon or a 735 - probably an Icon as the camera is important to me.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
My Icon has been the first phone I've had or worked with that hasn't felt out of date at what is now about the 18 month point.

I'll likely keep it going as long as needed to see where the Vzw/Windows Phone really heads.... We'll know for sure by March/April if there will be anything to some of the other OEMs rumored devices and Vzw or if it just becomes a dead zone.

Christopher Senn1

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
One thing that the Icon might have over the new 950XL is that the battery life.
Seems the phones are too focused on super HD res and multi core processors in order to run continum that they forgot that Windows Phone OS is the least demanding OS ever.

Its a shame all the new phones are either going to be 1 day batter life or forced to get a budget phone that has like 5mb camera.

Seems the Icon is in the middle.

FiveHorizons88

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
How is the battery life on the Icon? I've read mixed reviews - some say it is great while others say they have issues. I'm not a heavy gamer or media streamer. I basically just text and use instagram, twitter, etc.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
How is the battery life on the Icon? I've read mixed reviews - some say it is great while others say they have issues. I'm not a heavy gamer or media streamer. I basically just text and use instagram, twitter, etc.

The Battery Life has been fair. It is about HORRID on the Windows 10 Preview...it starts out OK but the longer the Windows 10 goes without an update, the worse it gets...it can drop 10% an hour on stand by and just using the phone for an hour can drop it 80%...

Sandman2749

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
We need to start a club. haha
When I got my Icon, I was on Rogers and would occasionally have poor LTE connection.
The beauty is that now I am on Telus and it runs the exact same LTE bands as the Icon (1700/2100) so looking forward to a much better connection.

bnapy

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I was previously on Sprint with a HTC m7 and I was quite honestly done with Sprint and done with Android (as a phone OS...I still use android tablets). I ordered a white lumia icon off of amazon for $180 and received essentially a brand new phone two days later. I signed up for the 10gb data plan for Verizon and since I outright owned the phone and received a company discount my bill came out $5 less then what I was paying for unlimited everything on Sprint.

The Icon (W8.1) has built in wireless tethering and I have not been charged, as of my most recent bill, for it. I generally get 2-3 days of battery life using the phone mostly for calling, tethering and texting. The only apps I added were twitter, facebook, plex, hulu and netflix. My main deviced is a tethered Nvidia Shield Tablet (128gb SD) for gaming, browsing, streaming, social media and a Dell XPS 13 (2014) for more intensive tasks.

When the WM10 preview came out for the icon a few months back, I immediately joined the insider program and updated! Big mistake there...went back to 8.1 and have been happy with my current situation. I basically wanted a Hotspot that could make calls and texts. I will be upgrading to the XL Data package (12GB) on Verizon for the same amount I'm currently paying as soon as I have time.

I'd recommend buying and using the phone in this way to anyone. You can use the phone on Straight Talk, which will utilize the Verizon network and get unlimited calls/texts + 5gb of LTE Data for $45 a month prepaid. I started to go this route, but saw the 10GB (now 12gb) plan for $80 on Verizon and I got a discount through my job.

I'd also add that the phone is a little chubby, has a nice heft and is made of premium materials. The screen is absolutely beautiful and can be viewed in direct sunlight (best feature hands down). The camera is also fantastic...my wife has the Note 5 and the Icon's photos look waaaaaay better when viewed side by side on a computer screen.

anon(5353068)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain. I'm in dire need for a new phone and the current windows phone line up are disappointing and confusing. the 930 looks good, but so does the 1520 since they're practically the same price (unlocked). definitely staying clear of the 950 and 950 xl. Overall right now, I'm just sad because there isn't a array of devices to choose from and also concerned that any device purchased may or may not play well with windows 10

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, as long as the housing, screen, and battery are in good shape the Icon is a fine choice. I believe that, whether on Android or WM, any phone with a Snapdragon 800+ and 2 GB+ of RAM will serve you well. If you want to try something different locate a Samsung ATIV SE. Same specs as the Icon, mostly, in a much thinner and lighter package.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99