Need Help. Stuck in Rotating Gear then Phone Restart Cycle, How Can I Fix It?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Need Help. Stuck in Rotating Gear then Phone Restart Cycle

Lumia Icon With latest version on Denim Software

Trying to make the Jump to Windows 10
Installed Windows insider and started install.

All seemed ok phone was about 50% charge then went to spinning gear screen left phone on charger and let it do its magic over night.

Woke up this morning now phone is constantly showing spinning Gears then restarting and going back to spinning gears over and over.

Tried Lumia Recovery tool and no luck Also tried cooling phone while on charger . No luck...... Any help would be appreciated!!!

uness

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Need Help. Stuck in Rotating Gear then Phone Restart Cycle

All seemed ok phone was about 50% charge then went to spinning gear screen left phone on charger and let it do its magic over night.

Woke up this morning now phone is constantly showing spinning Gears then restarting and going back to spinning gears over and over.

Tried Lumia Recovery tool and no luck Also tried cooling phone while on charger . No luck...... Any help would be appreciated!!!

uness

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Need Help. Stuck in Rotating Gear then Phone Restart Cycle

I'm in the same case, keep trying to hard reset but doesn't work. Would be grateful if any help. I think that we have to flash new stock rom of Windows 10 but it's not available yet u guess.

Alanatron5

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I had the same thing happen to my Icon. This is what worked for me. Download the Nokia recovery tool for retail. Disable all your computer firewalls, very important! I had to to do a hard reset for the program to find my phone. It took about 10-15 and it will wipe out everything on your phone, but the good news is that all your contacts are backed up in outlook. The tool reset my phone back to windows 8. I downloaded windows preview again and got windows 10 latest build installed. It's ok...... I'm not able to use Cortana and can't download any other email accounts besides outlook. Hope this helps 😊

dunker2390

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I also had this problem and I believe it has something to do with the Icon specifically(hardware/firmware). Posted the same issue on here and XDA but no one ever came up with a solution.

I reset the phone back to 8.1 more than 3 times and each time I would install Windows Insider and proceed with the same steps to install windows 10. It failed every time and I ended up just letting the phone think it ran out of battery and shut off for a week(it's a spare Icon I have).

Turned it on this past weekend to see if anything changed and all of a sudden it got past that point in the spinning gears(50-65%) and completed the install. In my opinion try the WIndows Device Recovery tool and get it back to 8.1. If you have the time and the patience then try going to 10 again.

Last note; when going in an endless cycle my phone would eventually say it has no battery life left and turn off. Once it actually completed the install this weekend the battery was at 90%!! I seriously think there could be a rare bug in the firmware we are seeing as many Icon users have not had these issues.

IcyPwnage

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
If you reset the phone to OOBE, you should be able to get out of the restart loop. You have to first hold down the volume down and power buttons. Then when the nokia logo shows up immediately hold volume down. When a large exclamation mark appears press volume up, then volume down, then power, then volume down again. After going through the initial setup steps, you should be able to get into your phone again without using a computer.

I had to do this when I went from 10581 to 10586 on my icon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo