Refurb Icon on W10M - Do you recommend?

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of making the move to W10M.

I dropped my Icon about a month ago and cracked the screen (hard to complain, it lasted me every bit of two years up to that point). I am on Verizon, so there's really nothing new there for me unless I go to Andriod or iOS. I am thinking about the S7 Edge, but I left Android for WP because I wanted to get away form Google. I am not keen about the idea of going back, and I don't want to lose the Cortana integration I have with my other Microsoft devices.

I am thinking of picking up a refurb Icon off Amazon. I have been watching them for about a month now and they are down to 4 left. If you have made the move to W10M, do you recommend? If you left WP for Android, are you happy with that decision?

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
That's just what I did, and yes, I'd recommend it. I have three phones (Note 4, HTC One M8, and the Icon. I've switched back and forth between them a few times, but I always end up back with the Icon. Android just doesn't do anything for me, and the HTC, though nice, has a pretty crappy camera. I've had the Icon on the last two or three builds of WM10, and its doing really well with it. Only problem I've had is every once in a while it'll lose data connectivity (cellular), without any indication. I've gotten in the habit of refreshing my email periodically to make sure I'm still connected. Don't know what causes it, (possibly switching towers??) but a restart always sorts it.........until the next time, anyway. I love the Icon's screen, and it plays nicely with all my bluetooth accessories, which isn't always the case with the HTC.

MrGecko

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Stay with the Icon with WM10. I have had no issues with the last couple of releases. I have gotten used to One Note & the Office Suite to go back to an android phone. Also, Cortana is a very useful, especially for hands free operation.

I'm holding out for the Surface Phone (or Flagship phone), hopefully on Verizon. I also have a contract until June 2016 so I wont leave until then unless something big happens. The 950 on AT&T isn't enough for me to leave Big Red.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Stay with the Icon with WM10. I have had no issues with the last couple of releases. I have gotten used to One Note & the Office Suite to go back to an android phone. Also, Cortana is a very useful, especially for hands free operation.

I'm holding out for the Surface Phone (or Flagship phone), hopefully on Verizon. I also have a contract until June 2016 so I wont leave until then unless something big happens. The 950 on AT&T isn't enough for me to leave Big Red.

I ordered the refurb unit off Amazon yesterday. Hoping to buy myself time until the fall. Once I get everything switched over to the new phone, I figure I can install W10M on my current phone and test it out first. Thanks for talking me down from the S7 ledge!

JasonThomasVA

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site

You can use OneNote and Microsoft Office on Android...I use Outlook daily.

chefster74

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I got my first 928 2 weeks after launch and it lasted 2 1/2 years. We were supposed to get WP10, but we all know what happened with that. So I got another 928 as I could tell the first one was going belly up. I got my second one from Newegg, saying it was new. Great. No problems with it at all. Still love it. But I feel the need for a backup, so I just ordered an Icon from Amazon. I've read a lot on this Icon forum and I can't wait to see how it does. As long as I can at least get 8.1. I'll be happy. To get 10, I'd want it to be a really good release, which we all more than deserve. I love WP and will bide my time over the next year to see what great new WP's come out. I really hate to leave V as I've been a long time customer, but ATT seems to have more love. I do realize I'm getting an "old" phone, yep a refurb, but the company Amazon is using has a 100% customer satisfaction! Hopefully between the 2 of them they'll get me down the road a while!

Last edited:

chefster74

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I got my Icon from Amazon on Thursday. I got $50 off by signing up for their credit card. It's in what looks to be perfect condition, refurbed by a Texas company with 100% customer satisfaction. So far, I've seen nothing of the complaints that folks had, just called my mom in Vermont from here in Houston and the call sounded just fine. No funky coloration, wifi works great and it's paired with my CR-V! It's just working as it should! I feel very fortunate. I've decided to stick with 8.1 as it works just fine. I don't care about app gap, continuum or WP10. To me the only way I'll get WP10 is on a new phone in a year or however it takes to get a good baked in working OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos