The Lumia Icon's Insider Support Ends with Branch 10586

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This was suspected to be the case earlier. But the official announcement of the Windows 10 Mobile roll out confirmed it here. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...82e-850d-7ca86433bd7d?tm=1458232004122&auth=1

Q: I’m currently using a Windows 10 Insider build on my device, but it is not on the list of devices that will receive a formal Windows 10 update. What should I expect in the future?

A: If you already have the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build on your device, you may keep using your device in an unsupported state. We will not be offering build updates beyond the Current Branch build 10586. At some point in the future these devices will also stop receiving updates to the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build.
In order to recover the devices back to a supported build of Windows Phone 8.1, you may use the Windows Device Recovery Tool. There are more details on the use of the Windows Device Recovery Tool within this forum post.

This is discouraging, but not surprising. The 930, 830, and 1520 all will receive the official update. https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ity_win10specs%23upgavailphone&token=QcS8iUxm

So you figure, it's probably Verizon that's causing the hold up. Then the really discouraging AND surprising bit comes into play. The Lumia 735, which is sold by Verizon, WILL get the update. Alright... So what we have here is an issue with the Icon being EoL, and therefore, unfit for an update. Thanks, Verizon!

Thoughts?

Last edited:

frankelweeze

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm probably leaving Windows Phone. I have two Icon's (one for me, one for the wife) and we have waited forever for a suitable replacement on Verizon but the 730 is not that phone. We're both Windows Insiders, but for work reasons we can't leave Verizon. The Insider program made this phone relevant for another 6 months at least!
Before we met we were Android users, switched to WP and got married during it all.

We'll be back...... maybe.......

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
that blows. I bought the Icon in December to replace my ATIV SE specifically because I was stuck with Verizon and based on the Icon's inclusion in the insider program I thought it would be getting the public OTA W10 release.

I'm also starting a new job in a 2 weeks that doesn't pay for my phone plan, so the entire situation that led to the purchase is no longer in place. Should have saved my money and stuck with the ATIV SE for a little longer.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This wouldn't be so dramatic, if we knew Verizon would support Windows Phone. I'll give Verizon until the end of the year for movement on that front, otherwise, I'm heading to AT&T.

hawwie_4

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
So for those of us who didn't already have W10 mobile insider updates on our Icons should we sign up for those insider builds for W10 mobile? Is the last version the same as the OTA version?

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have an unlocked 920, not listed among the devices getting W10 and also won't be receiving further builds too. I've been sad since I read this.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
This is absolute bull****.

I'm upset with MS, I'm upset with Verizon. I'm also stuck on Verizon and was considering going to Android when upgrade time comes along (January). I've been using Windows 10 on the Icon since July and don't see myself going back to 8.1. All I can hope is that build I'm on now holds out until January. If not, I may have to eat an early upgrade fee...

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
IS the 735 exclusive to Verizon? I did a little searching and found a few review entries of people swapping out the sim and using it on other carriers. Looking at the current supported list it seems to be that all the phones listed are multiband/multicarrier phones.. Think we are just out of luck because the icon is cdma only.

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I am truly disappointed and disheartened and disgusted. I have a been a long suffering Windows Mobile supporter ever since 6.5, defending and championing the OS to all the BB, IOS and Android users. The Icon meets all the specs, exclusion from even the Insider Program is asinine. I am truly reconsidering my support of Microsoft in general and that includes PC and Xbox.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really surprised that the icon isn't getting the update OTA, but the fact that it's being abandoned in the insider program by MS is horse****.

I have to imagine that this boils down to the desire of having simplistic language on who gets the update and who gets insider builds. I'm sure some 930s will never see it OTA, but since the icon is ONLY on Verizon, and they're not going to release it OTA, and rather than make exceptions for the insider program, they opted to just drop it completely.

Which is ******* horse****. Just let it get insider builds, and if anyone asks just say that it's technically a 930.

This is the closest I've come to considering a different platform. Been on here since the day the Trophy was released

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
As I mentioned in your other thread, I give up. Between lack of hardware and apps, Win 10 Mobile is doomed to third class status. It's sad but true. Hanging on at this point is, well, pointless.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I've read about and seen this on reddit. Can anyone else recreate this? I couldn't even download the app (still on W8.1).

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Let's relax a touch and see how this plays out. The 735 getting an update at least indicates that VZ is playing ball, right? No Win 10 device will not be able to get updates straight from MS. That means VZ is dealing with it, perhaps even supportive, never know. But we were told if you were in the short term determined to have an upgrade you'd have to go to ATT. So that choice may be how it plays out. But we didn't come this far to just make conclusions so quick. I may highly prefer VZ but I can go where I need. So I'm going to wait and see.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am truly disappointed and disheartened and disgusted. I have a been a long suffering Windows Mobile supporter ever since 6.5, defending and championing the OS to all the BB, IOS and Android users. The Icon meets all the specs, exclusion from even the Insider Program is asinine. I am truly reconsidering my support of Microsoft in general and that includes PC and Xbox.
I can understand leaving mobile but it's a tad over the top to leave the entire ecosystem.
But eh to each their own.

It's no surprise considering how bad the icon got shafted. Shame people are wired to Verizon.gsm is the way to go.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Let's relax a touch and see how this plays out. The 735 getting an update at least indicates that VZ is playing ball, right? No Win 10 device will not be able to get updates straight from MS. That means VZ is dealing with it, perhaps even supportive, never know. But we were told if you were in the short term determined to have an upgrade you'd have to go to ATT. So that choice may be how it plays out. But we didn't come this far to just make conclusions so quick. I may highly prefer VZ but I can go where I need. So I'm going to wait and see.

It also means that the 735 is sold unlocked and not as a VZW exclusive.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I can understand leaving mobile but it's a tad over the top to leave the entire ecosystem.
But eh to each their own.

Agreed. I love Win 10 on the desktop and the first apps I installed on my Galaxy S7 Edge were the Microsoft apps and Cortana. Outlook is my default calendar and mail app and Cortana works quite nicely on Android.

I miss the live tiles but widgets do a good job of filling any need I have. I don't regret buying the Icon a couple of years ago, but it's time to throw in the towel. The app gap has actually gotten worse; something I didn't really know until I got the Edge and MSFT is obviously supporting Android quite nicely; better than their own mobile O/S from what I can see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99