The Lumia Icon's Insider Support Ends with Branch 10586

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I really hope they update the Icon. The phone has been awesome and the camera is incredible. I have to agree with Mr. Gecko, I will never again trust the words "flagship phone" again. We are now off contract and AT&T and their support of windows Phones is looking better by the day. If they don't upgrade the Icon to WP10, F you Verizon, hello AT&T.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I really hope they update the Icon. The phone has been awesome and the camera is incredible. I have to agree with Mr. Gecko, I will never again trust the words "flagship phone" again. We are now off contract and AT&T and their support of windows Phones is looking better by the day. If they don't upgrade the Icon to WP10, F you Verizon, hello AT&T.

Well, you can hold on to hope a little....We got a MAYBE, not a NO like 512mb devices did....

....and I think that is a insult to the platform. Microsoft said every phone would and a 6 month old 512mb phone is dead as upgrades go...that is a BIG deal to the platform as it is...

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
That is pathetic. I'm leaving Verizon if that is actually the case.

Pretty sure this is all MS so be mad at them.

Either way..its bit of a shock this was a flagship phone 2 years ago and now its basically forgotten and its been like that for at least a year.

Yeah I think I'm leaving WP too...the lack of updates, too a year to get 8.1 and denim officially...the half assed apps, the terrible browser. A lot of things are annoying me about his phone lately. W10 had potential to fix at least some of that.

calypsocowboy

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I installed one of the slow ring builds 10586 and then last weekish, I think I got the current version so I'm currently on 10.0.10586.164. I haven't installed any firmwares that I'm aware of and my Icon seems to be running pretty well.

-Josh

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Can someone with 8.1/Denim run Upgrade Advisor and see what the message currently says? I'm curious because I've seen a couple different messages and I just wanna know where it currently stands for people on 8.1. I know it doesn't really mean anything. I'm just curious.

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I installed one of the slow ring builds 10586 and then last weekish, I think I got the current version so I'm currently on 10.0.10586.164. I haven't installed any firmwares that I'm aware of and my Icon seems to be running pretty well.

-Josh

I installed the same version and my Icon seems real stable and I really like the WP10 mobile updates over all. I've been on it for two days now and all seem to run very well. If Verizon doesn't update the firmware I could care less. The OS seems to be fine on the Icon.

Spiff542

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
lol. Now, now. There still hasn't been a final decision made public yet. And if/when Icon users get official W10M, we'll eventually be allowed in the RS branch like everyone else now is.

I'll be using a Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge by then, complaining about not having the "n" upgrade yet. ;)

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just made the final payment on my Icon, so I can move without any penalties or payments to VZW now. I've been watching the 950XL on Amazon, and they have the international single sim (I.e. the less troublesome version) for under $500 now. Just waiting for the right time to pull the trigger and switch to AT&T. I'll miss the stronger signal, but AT&T is well represented in the Tampa Bay area. I'll suffer a little with a weaker signal at work, but I'm tired of Verizon's BS. It's just not worth it. Not only that, but I can get the same type of plan, but with roll-over data, for $20 bucks less, or about the cost of making monthly payments on the phone. In other words, I can move to AT&T and get a new phone, with roll-over data, for about the same as I'm paying for service alone at Verizon (roughly $70 after the Icon was paid off - $90 before hand).

So VZW can kiss my bent over posterior as they lose a long time customer. Congrats, bozos!

Oh, and I got to play with the 950XL a few days back at the new MS store in International Plaza. Not sure why some feel it's not a high end feeling phone. It feels every as solid as my Icon (and this was a much handled floor demo unit), just without the metal. My Icon has a bunch of little dents from drops on the metal frame, so I'm not so sure the lack of metal is actually a bad thing.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
wow please chill...

Why ? People here are PISSED off about it....The 930 that is the SAME EXACT phone besides CDMA enabled on the ICON AND it's the top 3-5 top phones on Windows Phone (same as the 930) as CPU, camera and feature set.

The first batch the 930 gets it but, we get pretty much BLACKLISTED by Microsoft because we are Verizon customers....

Yea, I am ticked about this....getting screwed again by Microsoft and being a Verizon customer

They are BOTH at fault....

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I know this doesn't mean much but given that he said "select device**S**" and the only other phone on Verizon that was updated to (but I'm not too sure has yet received) W10M was the 735, I'm still holding out hope.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/907239

Following the situation on Twitter, lots of people have asked Gabe Aul for an update and none have received a response as of yet.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb