Redstone on Icon short guide

Will 74

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Will a factory reset cause the registry settings to return to normal or will is still say it's a 930? Also, would this also allow a firmware update if the 930 gets one and the Icon doesn't. Would such a firmware update basically convert the phone to a 930?

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Can't answer those question about the registry settings. I thought I read from one of these links here is that it will return the registry to normal.

As far as the firmware the instructions here said that once you went to Redstone you can put your registry back to original.

Grzenek

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Check my #31 post if you got stuck!!!
Just reset the phone first to avoid leftover garbage from previous installations. This helped me. And now works great.

One thing though. After upgrade go to setting->Battery saver->Battery saver settings and add only apps you want to work in background. Right after my upgrade, I had all apps included and battery got killed after few hours. After I changed to run only communication apps, battery hold very well.

Last edited:

Grzenek

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Will a factory reset cause the registry settings to return to normal or will is still say it's a 930? Also, would this also allow a firmware update if the 930 gets one and the Icon doesn't. Would such a firmware update basically convert the phone to a 930?

Factory reset will reset the registry settings to normal. This hack just makes you to get updates. Nothing else.

Grzenek

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm on VZ as well and I used this hack. The only issue so far is that I have Apps that show twice one that show PENDING underneath it and the other shows NEW underneath it. TIf I go into the Store it tells me there are 11 updates I have, but there isn't a progress bar so it doesn't download anything.

What build are you on? My apps cycled few times and stabilized finally. All well now.

Last edited:

Grzenek

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Lots of people over at XDA saying build 14322 sent the device into reboot loops, I have successfully upgraded my Icon with no issues, just an FYI for everyone. :)

On fast ring, correct?
Was it worth it? I hesitate to upgrade from 14295, since it is pretty stable for me. Did they fix the navigation? On 14295 I cannot get the traffic to work when in navigation mode and time seems to be calculated based on offline maps. Can you please comment?

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site

Factory reset should put it back as a 929. You will stay on current build but will not get new builds until you change the registry again.

As for firmware, that's a "maybe". Actually, I think firmware is determined by "PhoneManufacturerModelName", since that is specific to the carrier. I didn't change this on my phone and still got the redstone builds. Actually I'd suggest putting that back to default values just so that you don't accidentally get the firmware update.

A few things might happen if you get the 930 firmware on the Icon:
1) Bricks the phone
2) Phone boots but no longer works on Verizon bands (or might not work on any bands)
3) Everything works fine and phone is now a 930 that works on Verizon (least likely I think)

I wouldn't risk it until someone else is brave enough to try.

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have to reload the Root Tool as it crashes when I try to run it now.

Still can't get into the Root Tool. Hopefully I don't get the f/w ;)

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just out of pure curiosity. Does using this method and setting your phone type to Lumia 930 enable Double Tap to Wake? Or is that still a hardware issue.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Just installed Redstone Build 10.0.14322.1000
So far so good, no issues yet.

Can still make calls and messages, etc.
Lot of the Apps that I have checked still work so far.

Need some time to play with it more, so we will see.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

thekinghippo

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for all the edits!

I have it working! Thank you very much. Like another commenter here all I needed to change was the model from 929 to 930 in order for this to work.

Last edited:

jtranchina

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I installed this on my Icon and there were a few bugs and most apps wouldn't update, so I did a hard reset and after that, the phone worked great with minor bug issues. Problem is, the registry reverted back to 929 and I am unable to change it to 930 to get the new update as the Root Tool appears to be broken in 14322 ... Anyone have any ideas/workarounds?

augustaville

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Hello all -

I have an Icon up and running on 14327. Everything appears to be okay for me. I went from 10586.218 to 14322 and then to 14327. No hard resets and the only thing I can find that won't update is the insiders version of the maps app.

Icon number 2, I tried a hard reset after the upgrade and have a few problems such as Hey Cortana not working. It does have the new maps app.

Root tool works again as well.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello all -

I have an Icon up and running on 14327. Everything appears to be okay for me. I went from 10586.218 to 14322 and then to 14327. No hard resets and the only thing I can find that won't update is the insiders version of the maps app.

Icon number 2, I tried a hard reset after the upgrade and have a few problems such as Hey Cortana not working. It does have the new maps app.

Root tool works again as well.

Cool upgrading mine tonight.

Bob Singer

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Just upgraded my Icon (newly reborn as a 930) to 10.0.14328.1000 tonight. I had to do a soft reset after it finished and update a few apps. It seems to be working fine. Also did my PC and have Messaging Anywhere working. Don't know how much use I'll get out of it, but it's a nice option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb