Redstone on Icon short guide

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll give verizon a until may to get this sorted and then I may go down the rooting the phone route. Some of the phone + desktop syncing stuff that is coming in redstone seems pretty sweet.

I was thinking this way too. I so want to try this and just get this done but, I'll have to wait a little longer.

I'm using Tap to pay on my LG G3 for now and love it.... I'll go back when we get 10 on the ICON... OFFICAL 10

Whisker

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay forgive me but I might be mentally challenged. I deployed the root tool but where do you change the settings HKLM>System>Platform>DeviceTargetingInfo. Is this done on the computer or the phone because I cant seem to find this setting. Thanks for any help.

Bob Singer

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Does this root tool only work on Icons with Windows 10 developer preview?

Stupidly, I rolled my Icon back to 8.1 and installed the Windows Insider app, re-enrolled, but am not getting the option to install the dev preview again. My guess is that since MS declared that the Icon wasn't going to be on the list of those to get Redstone, they cutoff any new or re-installs even by those already 'insiders'. I've attempted to install root tool on my Icon now running 8.1 using several different tools ( XapDeploy.exe, Xap Deployer 2). No luck so far. I've searched through the XD developers forums for interop unlock tools, but all seem to require an SD card. (No SD card in the Icon.)

Any ideas how I can proceed to get Windows 10 back on my Icon would be greatly appreciated.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Does this root tool only work on Icons with Windows 10 developer preview?

Stupidly, I rolled my Icon back to 8.1 and installed the Windows Insider app, re-enrolled, but am not getting the option to install the dev preview again. My guess is that since MS declared that the Icon wasn't going to be on the list of those to get Redstone, they cutoff any new or re-installs even by those already 'insiders'. I've attempted to install root tool on my Icon now running 8.1 using several different tools ( XapDeploy.exe, Xap Deployer 2). No luck so far. I've searched through the XD developers forums for interop unlock tools, but all seem to require an SD card. (No SD card in the Icon.)

Any ideas how I can proceed to get Windows 10 back on my Icon would be greatly appreciated.

you have to install W10 first before you do this for redstone. not way to have root tool with 8.1 on Icon

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Okay forgive me but I might be mentally challenged. I deployed the root tool but where do you change the settings HKLM>System>Platform>DeviceTargetingInfo. Is this done on the computer or the phone because I cant seem to find this setting. Thanks for any help.

Do this using root tool on icon not computer

Bob Singer

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
That was the answer. When I'd reinstalled the Windows Insider app and re-registered, I'd opted for 'Insider Fast' thinking that would be, you know, faster. Last night, mostly out of frustration, I decided to toggle to a different option with the plan of toggling back. I didn't need to toggle back. The minute I chose 'Insider Release Preview' I received a notification for an update. This installed Windows 10 again. After this, I was able to install the root tool easily and root my Icon. I'm now running Redstone and it's working great!

Thank you, FearL0rd!

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That was the answer. When I'd reinstalled the Windows Insider app and re-registered, I'd opted for 'Insider Fast' thinking that would be, you know, faster. Last night, mostly out of frustration, I decided to toggle to a different option with the plan of toggling back. I didn't need to toggle back. The minute I chose 'Insider Release Preview' I received a notification for an update. This installed Windows 10 again. After this, I was able to install the root tool easily and root my Icon. I'm now running Redstone and it's working great!

Thank you, FearL0rd!

Welcome :)

Grzenek

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Here you go.
Manual to get ANY build of Windows 10 Mobile on ANY Lumia
I used 950 XL setup first, but there was many issues. Then, I recovered to 8.1 using Windows Device Recovery Tool and installed Insider Preview all the way to 10586.164. Next, applied above again with FearL0rd's 930 lines (need to jailbrake lumia to apply registry lines using Custom PFD editor). Now the phone works great!!! Good luck.
Thank you FearL0rd!!!

5 DAY LATER
It still works great!!! No single OS issue. It is actually strange feeling that all works well. Used slow ring to get to 14295.
One thing though. After upgrade go to setting->Battery saver->Battery saver settings and add only apps you want to work in background. Right after my upgrade, I had all apps included and battery got killed after few hours. After I changed to run only communication apps, battery hold very well.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So, people who have done this and now been using it for a week or 2, How is battery life ? Is it finally up to 8.1 levels ?

If battery is noticablly better, it might be worth it..

AND one missing thing, if you leave Cortana on to reply to texts, will she mute if you hit the volume/power button ?

dsdmarin

Jan 24, 2008
Visit site
HI
I have the registry editor (root tool) installed on my Icon. I am able to read the registry values, but I am not sure if it is taking the new values. After I write the new values I read the values again it goes back to the old value. Is there something I need to do to make the values save?

Thanks

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
HI
I have the registry editor (root tool) installed on my Icon. I am able to read the registry values, but I am not sure if it is taking the new values. After I write the new values I read the values again it goes back to the old value. Is there something I need to do to make the values save?

Thanks

I had the same issue. When you open Root Tool, select Fol All Windows Device no Lumia. When you say White you should get a message True

dsdmarin

Jan 24, 2008
Visit site
Originally posted by FearL0rd
Originally Posted by dsdmarin
HI

Thanks

I had the same issue. When you open Root Tool, select Fol All Windows Device no Lumia. When you say White you should get a message True

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Lots of people over at XDA saying build 14322 sent the device into reboot loops, I have successfully upgraded my Icon with no issues, just an FYI for everyone. :)

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Just did this on mine (before I found your guide) and only changed PhoneModelName to Lumia 930. Left everything else alone and it still updated to redstone.

jayblazer

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking about getting another icon because I am with Verizon for now. I just wanted to make sure that this is working perfectly on phones locked to Verizon before I spend a couple of hundred on something that wont work.. Thanks in advance for verification..

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking about getting another icon because I am with Verizon for now. I just wanted to make sure that this is working perfectly on phones locked to Verizon before I spend a couple of hundred on something that wont work.. Thanks in advance for verification..

I'm on VZ as well and I used this hack. The only issue so far is that I have Apps that show twice one that show PENDING underneath it and the other shows NEW underneath it. TIf I go into the Store it tells me there are 11 updates I have, but there isn't a progress bar so it doesn't download anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb