Redstone Builds on Insider Fast Ring now available for Icon

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I updated to the slow ring. I got 14295.1005. So far it seems pretty much the same as the latest release preview, which I think is 10586.242? I know the fast ring has a build with many more features, which I'm dying to try out, but I'm waiting to hear about the stability of it on the Icon.

A few notes...

• Some settings I had pinned to the start screen disappeared. It was no problem to re-add them.
  • I had a linked inbox setup. Mail would not really work at all until I unlinked the mailboxes and recreated the linked inbox. That seems pretty par for the course, though. I recall having similar issues just about every time there was a major-ish update.
  • One big issue I always had/hated on TH/TH2 builds was that I could never get mail notification sounds without also having the banner notification enabled. Not that big of a problem unless you get tons of mail like me. Having the screen come on every time I got a new message really killed already questionable battery life. I'm so happy to report this is now corrected.
  • After the first reboot a bunch of apps were stuck in the Pending... state. A power off/power on reset fixed that no problem. Didn't even have to do a Vol-Down/Power button reset.

So far so good, though. I'll post about more things as I notice them on this build. Hopefully lots of people make the jump to fast ring and report good stability so I can update and check out all those new features.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Running latest fast ring and all is good.
As for latest RTM. There isn't one yet. The models released with W10M installed, if they aren't on insider, they are running older builds than we are.

jschipmann

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I have yet to give up my icon so this news has been great however running on the latest 10 builds pre-redstone I have always had some issues. I know I'm running non supported software on my icon so some stuff is to be expected.

I daily run in to random app crashes where I load an app say Grin (imgur for WP) and it goes to resuming and crashes back to the start screen. Occasionally it crashes the phone completely and it reboots on its own. This has happened in more than that app, this has happened in photos, camera, mail etc. This is a daily occurrence for me so sadly I have tried to just reboot my phone once a day as a preventive measure.

Battery life is no where near as good. for example my fianc?e had a photo shoot this past weekend so I sat around bored. I had full battery when I arrived, I checked e-mail, read a few articles on the GTX 1080 announcement.. so about 15 minutes of use. Locked the phone walked around, snapped about 10 pictures on my phone, locked it walked around for a bit. Used the Grin app for about 15 minutes, locked the phone walked around. Called my son and talked to him for about 5 minutes, lock phone go to store get something to drink, come back. Checked e-mail (2 minutes max), sent two of the pictures I took to my fianc?e via text.....and I'm down to 12% battery. I don't know if bouncing back and forth between towers in the area made it drain faster but that seems to be the case a lot of the time.

Other average days with light use (checking e-mail occasionally, texting, a few short phone calls here and there) Typically by the time I get home from work I'm around 30% battery left.

Reading around the battery life seems to be a common trend, but does anyone else have the issues with apps like I mentioned above?

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Reading around the battery life seems to be a common trend, but does anyone else have the issues with apps like I mentioned above?

I've had similar battery life issues, though yours seem a bit more severe than mine regarding that 12% scenario. I'd probably expect mine to be around 30% after that. Which still sucks.

I ordered a new battery a few weeks ago to rule out that my current battery is just exhausted. I'm still waiting for it to arrive (also ordered a new, green back!). I started to suspect that it could just be that charing it 1-3 times daily for the past two years has worn it out a bit.

Will 74

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Battery life seems better to me after a full reset and start from scratch, which not everyone will want to do but it seems better.

upsidedown

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I had lots of problems with latest fast ring and ultimately went back to 10586. Some issues included:

1) BT sync issues. Could not get my Fitbit to sync
2) Restarts throughout the day. Could not find pattern.
3) Major lock screen issues. Overnight, when removing my phone for Wireless Charger and sliding up to unlock, I got the lock screen image but not the rest (I.e., not clock or other notices). At this point phone was frozen and had to power down soft reset to get it to work.

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I had lots of problems with latest fast ring and ultimately went back to 10586. Some issues included:

1) BT sync issues. Could not get my Fitbit to sync
2) Restarts throughout the day. Could not find pattern.
3) Major lock screen issues. Overnight, when removing my phone for Wireless Charger and sliding up to unlock, I got the lock screen image but not the rest (I.e., not clock or other notices). At this point phone was frozen and had to power down soft reset to get it to work.

I'll beat the crap out of it this weekend and see how .1001 goes. I did have to do two soft resets and it finally settled down. It wanted me to confirm my Microsoft password, they sent me the code but I could not enter it with the number pad. Cortana to the rescue! She let me enter the numbers using voice inputs and it worked fine.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have been on the Redstone build with Icon since it was available. No issues so far other than the removal of the fm radio app which was painful when I went out to mow yard the next day.

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I have been on the Redstone build with Icon since it was available. No issues so far other than the removal of the fm radio app which was painful when I went out to mow yard the next day.
Yup it's gone. Does anybody know why? :angry: Just when ya thought it was going so well. lol

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
And it's back! FM Radio in the store works great. Ahhh lifes good once again. lol
I believe you are using a 3rd party app. The one made by Microsoft is the only one that will let you play the radio out of the loudspeaker rather then through the headphones.

If anyone knows of a 3rd party app that will let you do this let me know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel