Backup always Fails at 98% - only began over the last month, worked forever!

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Short background ... I am on 8.1 Denim and "Backup my Apps and settings has worked flawlessly" - UNTIL - a little over a month ago (that's the MOST important Backup component). Then, I must have tried 15 times and it would ONLY get to 98% and say Backup failed, please try again later. I searched and searched and found "articles dating back to 2014", but NOTHING worked (I refused to do a hard reset and HOPE that the existing Backup on OneDrive was "valid" - many articles stated it "was" but I saw a pattern that "others" were reporting a corrupted Backup process!

Symptom = IF, "you think you are auto backing up", go check and see under Backup Apps and Settings in Denim. IF, it says last backup "was within the last week - it use to auto backup every 7 days if I forgot to manually backup - then you probably don't have the bug. But, if it says several weeks or months, then you should read further.

EUREKA !!! I searched for other threads and saw "people CONFIRMING" that "DELETING your Backup under Manage Backups" would work!

So, I hesitantly "from the Backup in Windows Phone" DELETED the Backup!

As the other article stated = the Backup for Apps and Settings "WILL TURN OFF" = which it did!

Next step was to "turn Backup back ON" - BOTH Apps and Settings ... and, VOILA hit "Backup now" and it took easily 5X as long to get to 98% ...

Then STAYED at 98% for what seemed an eternity - versus almost immediately FAILING at 98% - and then ...

LAST BACKED 2 SECONDS AGO!

I have been "chasing this for over a month now" !!!

Last edited:

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Fail probably due to app data from one or more of your apps. On you PC go to https://onedrive.live.com, gear icon, options, device backups. Backup should be there for your phone from the last day you tried. It will work, just won't have app data from the failing app

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Fail probably due to app data from one or more of your apps. On you PC go to https://onedrive.live.com, gear icon, options, device backups. Backup should be there for your phone from the last day you tried. It will work, just won't have app data from the failing app

Thank you, I know and that is what I read on other threads - there are MANY that date back to 2015 and 2014 in fact - but, for me NOTHING worked "except" to hesitantly "delete the backup" where Apps and Settings "turned off" and then turning back on and trying Backup again.

As I mentioned in my post, some posters in other threads said "trust me, the backup really DID succeed".

Unfortunately, my experience was that "I couldn't be 100% certain that when I absolutely needed the backup" that it would be working as expected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon