Battery life on new Icon

Dan Tyndall

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a certified refurbished Nokia Icon as my old 928 was only its last legs (battery wasn't holding a charge, power button would randomly trigger and hold, and my non-speaker phone earpiece would have connection issues) (I would have loved a more modern phone, but Verizon doesn't offer much). I have updated the Icon straight to Windows 10, but I'm noticing huge battery drains. My first go with the phone yesterday lasted about 6 hours on battery with light use (mainly texting, using OneNote for grocery shopping). Anyone else having a problem with battery drain? I've noticed that Aida64 is reporting discharge rates of ~1000 mW-1500 mW on battery. Aida64 also shows that my fully charged capacity matches my designed capacity, so I think the refurbishers put in a new battery before sending it to me? Today I've disabled more background tasks, as well as Hey Cortana. I have also adjusted the screen brightness in Extras, so we will see if that has improved battery life.

My current Windows version is 10.0.14393.189. Does anyone think this is a problem specific to the Icon I received, a general Icon problem, or a Windows 10 problem?

Dan Tyndall

May 18, 2013
Visit site
By the way, I should probably note that this was a new refurbished Icon; I am kind of wondering if I should have bought a brand new Icon.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 930 ( same basic phone ) even with a brand new OE Nokia battery installed struggles to get 16 hours when running Windows 10. The Lumia 930 battery life is better on Windows 8.1. To be fair Lumia 930 / Icon battery life has never really been great.

Dan Tyndall

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Lee, thanks for the info. I would be very happy with 16 hours. My current tweaks haven't pushed the battery life much further--I am thinking about sending the phone back and getting a new (instead of refurbished model). Aida64 reports higher drain at times, in the 2000-3000 mW range, which just seems crazy.

johnzot

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue. I would get nearly 24 hours with light usage, sometimes much more without issue. However, I finally hooked onto the AU (.67) and the phone would get hot.. very hot .. while the battery drained quickly. With the update to .189, it seemed to have improved (at least in idle), however, it is still quite disappointing. I typically have my unit on my wireless charger at work or at home. On very light usage, I can get 12 hours .. again, the improvement seems to be at idle.

Any ideas for improvement would be welcomed!

esheafer

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. I would get nearly 24 hours with light usage, sometimes much more without issue. However, I finally hooked onto the AU (.67) and the phone would get hot.. very hot .. while the battery drained quickly. With the update to .189, it seemed to have improved (at least in idle), however, it is still quite disappointing. I typically have my unit on my wireless charger at work or at home. On very light usage, I can get 12 hours .. again, the improvement seems to be at idle.

Any ideas for improvement would be welcomed!

+1

johnzot

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Dan Tyndall,
Battery life of 24+ hours was on 8.1 ... i've been on .67 and .189 for a couple weeks now - and just not getting any better. The only good side is the W10M just looks great, smooth - but, it did break a couple apps and really, my only BIG issue is battery life.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I also recently purchased a certified refurbished Icon and updated to build 14393. Coming from a 928 running an earlier build the Icon's battery life is a vast improvement. I would say I could run light and get a fair amount of juice, 120 miles of GPS while running Pandora, a couple of calls, I still had some life left however I don't recall the percentage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster