weird battery drain

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
My Icon seems to last through most of a workday with reasonably heavy use, much longer if I leave it alone...but lately it's been doing something funny.

Once below 17%, I have MINUTES, if even that, remaining. Just now I looked and it was at 17%, then maybe a minute later the Critical warning popped up (usually at 10%) and before I could even acknowledge the warning, I got the black Goodbye screen.

A couple of days ago it died completely and I left it alone for about an hour. When I restarted it, it came back up at 17%, but within seconds I got the Critical warning and immediately the Goodbye.

I don't know what's magical about 17% but it seems like suddenly the phone can't tell the difference between 17% and zero. Three weeks ago, 17% would have lasted me a couple of hours with no use, and at least half an hour if using it.

Did my battery just hit the end of its life and it's just coincidental that it roughly coincided with the 14393.189 update? Or is this a bug?

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Did my battery just hit the end of its life and it's just coincidental that it roughly coincided with the 14393.189 update? Or is this a bug?
Hi, the only way to prove this would be a hard reset.
Is the phone getting warm at all when it goes off? I find my phones (Lumia 930) battery drops quicker if the phone is warm (usually after downloading and installing an update).

Bryant White

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I have problems with my icon too, but mine is on WP8.1 yet. Battery life and losses of data from hard reset is what keeps me away from W10m. While watching Netflix, using messenger or facebook can suddenly shutdown my phone in any moment when battery is even greater than 25% (but usually happens under 20% I can't tell the exact number). I haven't make a hard reset in this phone NEVER (and I want to keep it that way), I believe that is a bug due to its long time logs of use (not an expert but I believe that the system save a usage log and maybe others files related to the usage). Well I don't feel like the battery on 8.1 been great never, the only possible way for a long battery life is a very light use: Light web browsing, two or less hours of music, messaging and few calls.
Anyway, I'm overseas and I'm looking for a reliable tutorial to change the battery, a new one would make it better (is an almost three years old phone, and with me since September 2014).

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
My Icon seems to last through most of a workday with reasonably heavy use, much longer if I leave it alone...but lately it's been doing something funny.

Once below 17%, I have MINUTES, if even that, remaining. Just now I looked and it was at 17%, then maybe a minute later the Critical warning popped up (usually at 10%) and before I could even acknowledge the warning, I got the black Goodbye screen.

A couple of days ago it died completely and I left it alone for about an hour. When I restarted it, it came back up at 17%, but within seconds I got the Critical warning and immediately the Goodbye.

I don't know what's magical about 17% but it seems like suddenly the phone can't tell the difference between 17% and zero. Three weeks ago, 17% would have lasted me a couple of hours with no use, and at least half an hour if using it.

Batteries start acting weird at the end of their life, it's likely new battery time.

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
that's what I figured. I haven't been able to find a legitimate MS/Nokia battery and I'd rather not buy a cheap replacement that may catch on fire or just wear out in short order. Frankly, I tolerated the lack of app support for a while but it's gotten worse instead of better as apps I used to use are ceasing Windows development or release updates and fixes at 10% the speed they do for Android and Apple. I just got my wife a Galaxy S6 so I'll probably play around with it and see if I'm ready to come back. Disappointing after having such high hopes for W10.

hometownnerd1

Dec 3, 2016
Visit site
I noticed a serious drain in past builds that showed up when I would use the Windows Camera app, seemed like it would cause the CPU to take off and make it so I would lose 40% battery in 2 hours or so. Charging would only work with a wire since the wireless charging would not push enough juice it seemed. Not claiming that is your problem, but worth noting. This build does seem to be better so far but will see.

DominicanNY

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue with my lumia icon but i solved it only choose which apps can run in the background then i restarted the phone .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb