Replace the battery?

WP Newbie

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I've done a bit of searching, and found a couple of battery options (none of my local battery stores will sell me a battery, even if they do have "all battery" in the name :eek:rly: ). I did watch a guy (who may be a member here?) do a tear down on YouTube, but I'm not sure if I'm that capable. If I bought a battery, would one of the cell phone repair places do the replacement? Or is it really as easy as the guy on YouTube made it look? Video

The YT guy mentioned getting this one, which says it's for the 930 ONLY. (I'm pretty sure the Icon is a 929? Not sure if they use the same battery?)

And then I found two on Amazon, one of them has more MaH than the other one, and not sure which one would be better or if either of them would work.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is as easy as he makes it look. Just make sure you have the right tools.

Also make sure and get a Nokia BV-5QW, at least for the best chance at this working. Accept no substitute.

NMCynthia

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I had my ICON battery replaced at a repair shop, and he said that getting into the phone was rather difficult. I guess it depends on if you feel the rewards of not spending as much money is greater than the risk involved.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If you've never disassembled a mobile device or Nokia before then the icon/930 is one of the more complex...not super hard but has some very specific ways certain components come off/disengage/disassemble and that's what can make it difficult. The back cover for instance, I always go at it by ejecting the sim tray and using either a sim push pin tool or a plastic pry tool to dislodge one of the plastic clips of the back cover to start it.
The battery is held in by glue and super good too. Recommend a heat gun to heat up the glue but not too much heat. You can pay it up pretty easily though but it will feel like you might breaks something. Just be patient if you do it your self.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I replaced the battery in one of my Icons and it was enough trouble that I doubt I'll do it again.
If I remember correctly, the back case never sealed quite right and I did something to the vibration motor (it buzzed more than previously).
JJ

iconuser165

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I just had my icon battery replaced at a chain tech shop at the local outlet. "YOUBREAKIFIX" It's not a joke. It cost around $90 dollars (install and battery). I didn't want to try it myself. 90 day warranty. Much better than it was. Google it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb