I need help i have a couple of questions

juanme555

Jan 8, 2019
Visit site
Hi if i get a Lumia 930/Icon and it has windows 10 mobile and i wanna downgrade to 8.1 Denim , can i do it??? also i read somewhere that you can upgrade from 8.1 to 10 unofficially by changing what your phone is detected as , where can i see if that was changed and how can i get it back to the original?? does the lumia Icon have official upgradeability to W10M ??? is there a way to check with software exactly if every mic works?? thanks

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi if i get a Lumia 930/Icon and it has windows 10 mobile and i wanna downgrade to 8.1 Denim , can i do it??? also i read somewhere that you can upgrade from 8.1 to 10 unofficially by changing what your phone is detected as , where can i see if that was changed and how can i get it back to the original?? does the lumia Icon have official upgradeability to W10M ??? is there a way to check with software exactly if every mic works?? thanks

1) You will need to use Windows Device Recovery Tool.

2) The Lumia 930 is officially supported until the WM10 anniversary update. You will need to download the update advisor from the store.

3) There is (was) a testing app called Lumia Phone Test but that has been pulled by Microsoft... :grincry: . I'm not sure if you will be able to find the whole packaged application on the web now as there was someone who had it on their onedrive but that's a deadlink and a recommended no go as it could have been altered. So if you do find it and use it... you do so at your own risk.

juanme555

Jan 8, 2019
Visit site
1) You will need to use Windows Device Recovery Tool.

2) The Lumia 930 is officially supported until the WM10 anniversary update. You will need to download the update advisor from the store.

3) There is (was) a testing app called Lumia Phone Test but that has been pulled by Microsoft... :grincry: . I'm not sure if you will be able to find the whole packaged application on the web now as there was someone who had it on their onedrive but that's a deadlink and a recommended no go as it could have been altered. So if you do find it and use it... you do so at your own risk.

But what i mean is , what if the previous owner altered the thing to make the updater detect the lumia icon as a L950 ?? how could i know that and how could i undo that??? everything else was 10/10 thanks for the help.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
But what i mean is , what if the previous owner altered the thing to make the updater detect the lumia icon as a L950 ?? how could i know that and how could i undo that??? everything else was 10/10 thanks for the help.

I doubt that would be the case.

That would be a registry tweak at the very least, the easiest way to check if that change was made go to settings -> about and extras -> extras + info.

It will display the current rom installed and phone model.

Also if the Windows Device Recovery Tool detects it as a Lumia 950, download WP Internals and the associated tools.

As to a step by step walk through, I can't recall of from the top of my head however my L930 is charging at present and it will at least take a while as the battery is dead as a door nail. Never the less the application is pretty straightforward to use.

https://www.wpinternals.net/index.php/downloads

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
You can't downgrade back to WP8.1 from WM10. As said though, it is very unlikely the previous owner messed about with the registry or anything like that.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You can't downgrade back to WP8.1 from WM10. As said though, it is very unlikely the previous owner messed about with the registry or anything like that.

Depends on the phone, you can downgrade the L930 to WP8.1 using the Windows device recovery tool actually :).

Depending on your L930 variant you either get "full" denim update or the "half-baked" version.

WDRT L930.JPG

Also you can use WDRT to flash roms obtained from https://www.lumiafirmware.com/

Download the relevant files and place them in the packages folder located:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products\RM-XXXX

For example: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products\RM-1045.

But you have to block the internet access to WDRT prior to connecting your phone.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the phone, you can downgrade the L930 to WP8.1 using the Windows device recovery tool actually :).

Depending on your L930 variant you either get "full" denim update or the "half-baked" version.

View attachment 140407

Also you can use WDRT to flash roms obtained from https://www.lumiafirmware.com/

Download the relevant files and place them in the packages folder located:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products\RM-XXXX

For example: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products\RM-1045.

But you have to block the internet access to WDRT prior to connecting your phone.

Yes, my mistake, you are right. I think it's possible if the initial OS was WP8.1. If it was W10M then you can't. It's interesting you can flash ROMS to the phones now. Could you thereotically flash WP8.1 then to, say a 950XL?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, my mistake, you are right. I think it's possible if the initial OS was WP8.1. If it was W10M then you can't.

Yup, that is correct if it initially ran Wp8.1 thus as I said it depends on the phone :).

Plus if the files were not updated on the server then you can use WDRT without having to download the rom files from elsewhere.

It's interesting you can flash ROMS to the phones now. Could you thereotically flash WP8.1 then to, say a 950XL?

You could if you were willing to create custom drivers, bypassing any security mechanisms in place for the cellular radio and what not (any software is essentially let's just say is "tweakable"). But why would you?

Most of the key apps will cease to work on Wp8.1 anyway...

Plus you lose the ability to natively side load apps...

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yup, that is correct if it initially ran Wp8.1 thus as I said it depends on the phone :).

Plus if the files were not updated on the server then you can use WDRT without having to download the rom files from elsewhere.

You could if you were willing to create custom drivers, bypassing any security mechanisms in place for the cellular radio and what not (any software is essentially let's just say is "tweakable"). But why would you?

Most of the key apps will cease to work on Wp8.1 anyway...

Plus you lose the ability to natively side load apps...

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for replying. I never found an APPX file that worked properly on W10M after I sideloaded it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That makes a lot of sense, thanks for replying. I never found an APPX file that worked properly on W10M after I sideloaded it.

No problem, I've not needed to side load apps so don't have much experience in that area. I've come across a few sites purportedly hosting appx files when looking for old app links from blog posts; however most are usually full of fake links and malware combined with adfly links.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
No problem, I've not needed to side load apps so don't have much experience in that area. I've come across a few sites purportedly hosting appx files when looking for old app links from blog posts; however most are usually full of fake links and malware combined with adfly links.

I was only ever to sideload APPX files on WP8.1. It never worked for me on W10M.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo