Nokia X & Why it does not make sense lol

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The problem with Android isn't the initial experience. It's how the phone performs a year later.

That's not really the case as much anymore. Moto and htc one are still plugging along a year almost down the road. Android 4.3 fixed that with Trim support

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Here all are only talking about low end android not android flagship.low end android having 512 MB ram laga and hang.thats the case.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I know it's an article of faith on these forums that Android phones are slow and unreliable. I just want to say that is not my experience. Apart from the very cheapest, I've found they are quick (quicker than WP, in fact) and very rarely crash. My last Android phone would typically go months between reboots. I saw uptimes well above 1000 hours with any problems, and the most common cause of reboots was me forgetting to charge the phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I know it's an article of faith on these forums that Android phones are slow and unreliable. I just want to say that is not my experience. Apart from the very cheapest, I've found they are quick (quicker than WP, in fact) and very rarely crash. My last Android phone would typically go months between reboots. I saw uptimes well above 1000 hours with any problems, and the most common cause of reboots was me forgetting to charge the phone.

Low end, like the X is? I have a hard time believing that.

But on the higher end Android has definitely improved.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

yet my Moto X has crashed a dozen times in 2 months, yet I can count the number of times my 920 has crashed on one hand, and they were all during the developer preview.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have to wonder why anyone would buy this instead of a Moto G. The Moto G might cost just a little bit more but you get better internal specs (I believe, I haven't seen official specs for the Nokia X yet), a better screen, and access to the Google Play store. I just don't see what the target market would be, outside of hardcore Nokia fans who hate Microsoft I guess.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have to wonder why anyone would buy this instead of a Moto G. The Moto G might cost just a little bit more but you get better internal specs (I believe, I haven't seen official specs for the Nokia X yet), a better screen, and access to the Google Play store. I just don't see what the target market would be, outside of hardcore Nokia fans who hate Microsoft I guess.

The Moto G is Google; the Nokia X is not. For some people that's a good reason to choose the Nokia X.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
How does affect the purpose and strategy behind the phone?
Turns it from a useless turd into something of decent value. Seriously if Nokia thinks they can fool people into buying this in its default state, when phones like Moto G and other regional brands are out, then they really are out of their minds. People aren't stupid. They weren't stupid with Windows Phones and they won't be stupid this time around either.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

A little bit more eh? $120 vs $180 is 50% more. Obviously this phone is not targeted to people with first world math problems as far as cash is concerned :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Seriously if Nokia thinks they can fool people into buying this in its default state.

I suspect you take issue with the fact that it comes without Google's services. However, the non-Google Android market is already by far the fastest growing part of Android. I would never buy this either, but in China, Russia and elsewhere, non-Google Android is very popular. Nokia doesn't need to dupe anyone. Those markets have already decided they like non-Google Android.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I suspect you take issue with the fact that it comes without Google's services. However, the non-Google Android market is already by far the fastest growing part of Android. I would never buy this either, but in China, Russia and elsewhere, non-Google Android is very popular. Nokia doesn't need to dupe anyone. Those markets have already decided they like non-Google Android.
Yeah well Nokia has little to no presence in China so they can forget about this. They have massive presence in countries like India. And no, you're not going to sell a bastardised Android smartphone there. You know why people don't buy Windows Phones? Because it doesn't have their favourite app. Nokia took the biggest advantage Android has, which are its 1 million apps, and removed it from Nokia X. You expect people to buy this? Why on earth would anyone buy this over something like Moto G?

Secondly my problem isn't only with the lack of Google apps. It's with the horrendous software. Android 4.1? This is a joke right? That's a TWO YEAR old build of Android. Did you see the hands on videos of this phone? The Facebook app took 5-7 seconds to launch. That does not happen on even the lowest end Android device.

So what is Nokia hoping for here? A customer goes into the shop, has an option of hundreds of Android phones, including the awesome Moto G. He then says, hmmm, I'm instead going to buy an Android phone that has about 1/10th of the Android apps, runs a 2 year old build of the OS, has specs that belong on a 40 Euro device and God knows about its future when Nokia is gone as a phone maker.

Like I said before. Nokia is hoping to catch a few either stupid, or unsuspecting people. Because no one else is going to buy this.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Turns it from a useless turd into something of decent value. Seriously if Nokia thinks they can fool people into buying this in its default state, when phones like Moto G and other regional brands are out, then they really are out of their minds. People aren't stupid. They weren't stupid with Windows Phones and they won't be stupid this time around either.

And how does this affect strategy?

You throw out a lot of useless insults about the device but didn't address the question you replies to.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You forgot one target market... hardcore Android fans that hate Google ;-)

Or current Nokia feature phone owners (doesn't have to be hardcore) who want an Android device for their first smartphone because they've been told by everyone they can't buy a WP because of lack of apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion