Nokia X & Why it does not make sense lol

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You mean keeping everyone away from Google services while being stuck in their operating system...people keep conveniently ignoring that :D

This is targeted towards consumers who will buy Android anyway. It's not like low end WP devices won't be emphasized.

But some consumers just won't buy the WP device for their first smartphone. That's a fact that we have to deal with. If they become invested in Google's services, then it's much harder to win them over later.

How do you address this fact?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The problem with your argument, and all other arguments for this ridiculous strategy, is that Microsoft services arent that compelling AND they already exist on Windows and android phones today yet have had no effect on bringing people to Microsoft's platforms, either WP or full Windows. So unless there is some special sauce that is added to the services on Nokia x devices the value of MS services is being vastly overestimated and will not have the desired effect.

It's not about MS services winning them over in the short term. It's about having a chance to get them long term.
If they are invested in Google services, then what chance do we have to cconvert them later compared to if they are already using MS services.

As long as they are using MS services, there's a fair chance at switching them over fairly painlessly some time in the future.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It's not about MS services winning them over in the short term. It's about having a chance to get them long term.
If they are invested in Google services, then what chance do we have to cconvert them later compared to if they are already using MS services.

As long as they are using MS services, there's a fair chance at switching them over fairly painlessly some time in the future.

Long term they will be invested in google's android applications (which Nokia has touted 75% will be compatible with no modifications), which do you think will have the bigger pull when they can also get MS services on full android devices?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The problem with your argument, and all other arguments for this ridiculous strategy, is that Microsoft services arent that compelling AND they already exist on Windows and android phones today yet have had no effect on bringing people to Microsoft's platforms, either WP or full Windows. So unless there is some special sauce that is added to the services on Nokia x devices the value of MS services is being vastly overestimated and will not have the desired effect.

I could be overestimating the value of having a more consistent UI and UX of transitioning from a WP compared to a Google-based Android phone, but I don't think so. Frankly, even if it's not big value, what would be the value of going from a Nokia X to a Google-based Android phone? To brag about how you have an Android? Even if the value is very little, it would still be more than whatever reason there would be to switch to Google's Android.

Long term they will be invested in google's android applications (which Nokia has touted 75% will be compatible with no modifications), which do you think will have the bigger pull when they can also get MS services on full android devices?

The Nokia store and Google Play don't talk to each other, just like Amazon's app store doesn't talk to Google Play. That's the entire point of AOSP vs. GMS

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I could be overestimating the value of having a more consistent UI and UX of transitioning from a WP compared to a Google-based Android phone, but I don't think so. Frankly, even if it's not big value, what would be the value of going from a Nokia X to a Google-based Android phone? To brag about how you have an Android? Even if the value is very little, it would still be more than whatever reason there would be to switch to Google's Android.

I dont get your point here. The UI of the Nokia x is only WP like on the home screen, all the apps are android apps so the exposure to the WP design language is minimal so there is very little UI/UX consistency bridging X users to WP. And as for the value of going to a google android phone, they will have been running android apps so that is the natural progression since they will also be able to access Microsoft services there. If not then what is the reason they would upgrade to a WP device?

The Nokia store and Google Play don't talk to each other, just like Amazon's app store doesn't talk to Google Play. That's the entire point of AOSP vs. GMS

But they are still android apps for the most part so there in zero relearning to do and familiarity with the apps already, that is going to be a draw compared to going to an alien platform where your apps may not exist.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I dont get your point here. The UI of the Nokia x is only WP like on the home screen, all the apps are android apps so the exposure to the WP design language is minimal so there is very little UI/UX consistency bridging X users to WP. And as for the value of going to a google android phone, they will have been running android apps so that is the natural progression since they will also be able to access Microsoft services there. If not then what is the reason they would upgrade to a WP device?

But they are still android apps for the most part so there in zero relearning to do and familiarity with the apps already, that is going to be a draw compared to going to an alien platform where your apps may not exist.

I guess we'll have to wait and see then. I just imagine that when people's first experience with a Lumia is that it's similar to their Nokia X phone, then that'll convince them more than, say a different UI/UX that has similar apps, being that initial impressions matter a lot when deciding on what phone to buy. If someone's initial impressions with a WP is that "oh, all of my stuff is backed up and I just sign into an account that I already have" then that would be much better than, "oh, great, my contacts and pictures are gone unless I download a bunch of other apps and I have to create a Google account. I don't need these things".

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
As I'm sure you're aware of, most of the Android apps are free "meh" apps. Anything requiring any power won't work.

WP has made great strides in the past year when it comes to gaining new relevant apps. That will only increase over the next year or two.

App parity is just around the corner. Moving to WP later won't mean a big app sacrifice in the future.

However, right NOW there is a decent sized app gap. Some users will choose Android specifically because of that; even if they like the feel of WP.

If they go Android right now because of that app gap, keeping them away from Google services gives us a chance at getting them later when the app disparity isn't as prominent anymore. However, if they are engrossed in Google's ecosystem of services they won't be able to easily transition to WP in the future. Even if the app gap is gone.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
As I'm sure you're aware of, most of the Android apps are free "meh" apps. Anything requiring any power won't work.

WP has made great strides in the past year when it comes to gaining new relevant apps. That will only increase over the next year or two.

App parity is just around the corner. Moving to WP later won't mean a big app sacrifice in the future.

However, right NOW there is a decent sized app gap. Some users will choose Android specifically because of that; even if they like the feel of WP.

If they go Android right now because of that app gap, keeping them away from Google services gives us a chance at getting them later when the app disparity isn't as prominent anymore. However, if they are engrossed in Google's ecosystem of services they won't be able to easily transition to WP in the future. Even if the app gap is gone.

Makes sense in theory but things rarely work out as neatly as you suggest. People will get attached to the apps on their platform (as we do on WP, eg preferring apps with good live tiles) and I dont think app parity is as close as you say. Look at PvZ 2 and BBM already on the Nokia x while WP still lacks them. Thats unlikely to change in the future in any significant way and I think will factor into upgrade decisions later.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Makes sense in theory but things rarely work out as neatly as you suggest. People will get attached to the apps on their platform (as we do on WP, eg preferring apps with good live tiles) and I dont think app parity is as close as you say. Look at PvZ 2 and BBM already on the Nokia x while WP still lacks them. Thats unlikely to change in the future in any significant way and I think will factor into upgrade decisions later.

2 years can make a big difference. I think the app gap will be small by then.

But keep in mind that the type of customers buying the X phones are the ones that wouldn't have bought WP in the first place. At least this gives WP a chance to earn their business later.

The focus should still be to sell the Lumia 5xx series at that price range. But the X is the alternative in case they just won't buy a WP yet.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I guess we'll have to wait and see then. I just imagine that when people's first experience with a Lumia is that it's similar to their Nokia X phone, then that'll convince them more than, say a different UI/UX that has similar apps, being that initial impressions matter a lot when deciding on what phone to buy. If someone's initial impressions with a WP is that "oh, all of my stuff is backed up and I just sign into an account that I already have" then that would be much better than, "oh, great, my contacts and pictures are gone unless I download a bunch of other apps and I have to create a Google account. I don't need these things".

From my perpective the UI of the Nokia x only bears a passing reselblance to WP and it applies to the home screen only so I am unconvinced it will be familiar enough to be a draw for x users. But you're right, time will tell

2 years can make a big difference. I think the app gap will be small by then.

But keep in mind that the type of customers buying the X phones are the ones that wouldn't have bought WP in the first place. At least this gives WP a chance to earn their business later.

The focus should still be to sell the Lumia 5xx series at that price range. But the X is the alternative in case they just won't buy a WP yet.

To turn it around, I wouldnt consider android just because I used their services on a cheap WP (assuming they existed) if I was unlikely to buy it in the first place. I would just find the closest approximation I could on my preferred platform, which in this case would seem to be android for the apps. And I dont see the app gap going away unless other platform stop improving so that will always be a potential barrier to switching.

alveswes

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Wait.... what? So this event, before anything has played out, caused you to look at other platforms? Thats baffling to me

He is not alone. Everything so far is speculation except for the uncertainty that Microsoft/Nokia introduced in terms of the future of the platform. Warranted or not, developers and users alike have no idea what will become of WP in the medium and long terms.
It just doesn?t look like the same Microsoft that patiently lost millions (if not billions) in the Xbox brand until it became profitable.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
From my perpective the UI of the Nokia x only bears a passing reselblance to WP and it applies to the home screen only so I am unconvinced it will be familiar enough to be a draw for x users. But you're right, time will tell

To turn it around, I wouldnt consider android just because I used their services on a cheap WP (assuming they existed) if I was unlikely to buy it in the first place. I would just find the closest approximation I could on my preferred platform, which in this case would seem to be android for the apps. And I dont see the app gap going away unless other platform stop improving so that will always be a potential barrier to switching.

The app gap isn't really about other platforms improving. There are very few apps that require special features.

The app gap isn't even completely about market share. It's about install base. It's about the chances of businesses to make money.

If WP stayed at 5% market share, but the entire market grew in size, then that 5% may end up being enough customers to warrant app development.

If WP can get to 10% then app development will go crazy.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
He is not alone. Everything so far is speculation except for the uncertainty that Microsoft/Nokia introduced in terms of the future of the platform. Warranted or not, developers and users alike have no idea what will become of WP in the medium and long terms.
It just doesn’t look like the same Microsoft that patiently lost millions (if not billions) in the Xbox brand until it became profitable.

Various people on this site say Microsoft is slow to act. This move, although in my opinion a bad one, shows Microsoft wants to tap into where google hasn't, and if that means using their services to entice, then so be it. But also like others on this site, they complain about android being "laggy". These phones over time will be just that. So we can assume two things:

The customers of this product will generalize android as a laggy experience, or do that with Nokia in general. Heres hoping to the former. But I will say this: windows phone will not be written out being that the market doesn't benefit whatsoever from a duopoly

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
At the end of the day, its a phone. You all are consumers. Being this conflicted about something that wont even effect you to the point you're jumping ship is saying you should probably detach your feelings out of this and pick what works best. If you're planning to leave, I highly doubt this announcement was the make or break.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Nokia X does make sense. Here is why. Asha doesn't appear to have much of a market impact if any. While their hardware is very nice looking, it badly lacks on the app side and market presence. I'd say that the usage of android is a pretty brilliant move at this point. It would certainly make more sense to use forked Android over the continued development of Asha. MS saves a bundle on their feature phones, and they'd have an excuse to drop the Asha which fits in nowhere.

Hopefully MS will apply the Asha design to later X phones.

alveswes

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Various people on this site say Microsoft is slow to act. This move, although in my opinion a bad one, shows Microsoft wants to tap into where google hasn't, and if that means using their services to entice, then so be it. But also like others on this site, they complain about android being "laggy". These phones over time will be just that. So we can assume two things:

The customers of this product will generalize android as a laggy experience, or do that with Nokia in general. Heres hoping to the former. But I will say this: windows phone will not be written out being that the market doesn't benefit whatsoever from a duopoly

Actually I am talking about Microsoft's mobile strategy as a whole. Two years from now, iPhones will be running iOS apps and android phones will be running android apps. What is not clear is what kind of apps Microsoft will be pushing out (WP native, emulated android, native android, all of the above?). They are focusing on services which is fine, but IMHO it seems they are not sure where to go with their mobile strategy.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Actually I am talking about Microsoft's mobile strategy as a whole. Two years from now, iPhones will be running iOS apps and android phones will be running android apps. What is not clear is what kind of apps Microsoft will be pushing out (WP native, emulated android, native android, all of the above?). They are focusing on services which is fine, but IMHO it seems they are not sure where to go with their mobile strategy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see future Windows Phones have Android emulators. They'd be able to run low powered Android apps.

However, for the best experience or for anything requiring power, it would be necessary to use native WP apps.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day, its a phone. You all are consumers. Being this conflicted about something that wont even effect you to the point you're jumping ship is saying you should probably detach your feelings out of this and pick what works best. If you're planning to leave, I highly doubt this announcement was the make or break.

Yes Microsoft whole handling of this and the possibility of more android related stuff coming to windows phone is precisely the reason I am considering dumping it and I'm the biggest WP fan I know lol.

It will not surprise me if I winded up with an iPhone 6 in September.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte