Nokia X & Why it does not make sense lol

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day, its a phone. You all are consumers. Being this conflicted about something that wont even effect you to the point you're jumping ship is saying you should probably detach your feelings out of this and pick what works best. If you're planning to leave, I highly doubt this announcement was the make or break.

Amen to this ^^^
Truly amazing how suicidal the smartphone user has become.

alveswes

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes Microsoft whole handling of this and the possibility of more android related stuff coming to windows phone is precisely the reason I am considering dumping it and I'm the biggest WP fan I know lol.

It will not surprise me if I winded up with an iPhone 6 in September.

Hold it right there with the "biggest WP fan" title, buddy :p I still have my Focus, Focus S, DVP, Lumias 800, 900, 920, 1020, 1520 and even 520 just because it was way cheaper than a happy hour after work in Manhattan.
But at the end of the day, @cckgz4 is correct when he says it is about what works for each one of us. For me, sticking to a platform without identity and without a clear future doesn't work, so as boring as iOS is, it does seem the only way out specially since Microsoft ironically does a pretty good job at making iPhone apps.
Hopefully it won't come to that.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I went from the Nokia 710 and HTC radar briefly, Nokia 810(my first official phone), To a Red HTC 8x, to a California Blue 8x, the Lumia 920 in red, then got it in Yellow, then went to the 1020, then went to the 928, then another yellow 1020(It truly is my favorite), to the 1520 :D and this was all since Windows phone launch in 2012 :D

Exactly that is my whole point about potentially jumping ship. Windows Phone has so many rumors about Android apps coming and with Microsoft making it incredibly easy for manufacturers to recycle their designs from their android phone, it really makes me as a windows phone feel like this platform has no idea where it is going.

It's not even so much about the Nokia X that bugs me, so much the fact that Microsoft after 4 years(I count windows phone 7) has taken forever to develop windows Phone and windows phone 8.1 is the first time that i can genuinely say the OS actually is on par with the others. I came to windows phone and stuck by the OS with all the lack of apps....and even certain features because I love windows phone and windows 8 and this Nokia X makes me sort of concerned what may happen down the line and IOS does seem like the only OS with a future..that is not Android as I can't even fathom the thought of owning an android phone ever again.
Hold it right there with the "biggest WP fan" title, buddy :p I still have my Focus, Focus S, DVP, Lumias 800, 900, 920, 1020, 1520 and even 520 just because it was way cheaper than a happy hour after work in Manhattan.
But at the end of the day, @cckgz4 is correct when he says it is about what works for each one of us. For me, sticking to a platform without identity and without a clear future doesn't work, so as boring as iOS is, it does seem the only way out specially since Microsoft ironically does a pretty good job at making iPhone apps.
Hopefully it won't come to that.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to sell my mom's Lumia 520 and get her the X or the X+. The L520 is such a piece of **** phone when it comes to VOIP and IM.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to sell my mom's Lumia 520 and get her the X or the X+. The L520 is such a piece of **** phone when it comes to VOIP and IM.

A colleague of mine recently went from a 1020 to a 520. He told me the other day that he discovered that phone quality affects performance more than the OS does. He felt that the 520 performed no better than a cheap Android. And he's a self-proclaimed Microsoft/WP ******.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
A colleague of mine recently went from a 1020 to a 520. He told me the other day that he discovered that phone quality affects performance more than the OS does. He felt that the 520 performed no better than a cheap Android. And he's a self-proclaimed Microsoft/WP ******.

Viber and Skype flat-out refuse to work properly on Lumia 520. The phone is just pitifully slow at resuming apps. Since Android doesn't freeze apps in the background, VOIP apps will run much better, despite the low end specs.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Viber and Skype flat-out refuse to work properly on Lumia 520. The phone is just pitifully slow at resuming apps. Since Android doesn't freeze apps in the background, VOIP apps will run much better, despite the low end specs.

That's interesting. My (limited) experience with the 520 was the same. It was generally responsive, in that *something* happened quickly when you touched the screen, but the action completing (opening an app, resuming an app, etc) was pretty slow - and much worse than the similarly priced Android phone that I tested alongside it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting. My (limited) experience with the 520 was the same. It was generally responsive, in that *something* happened quickly when you touched the screen, but the action completing (opening an app, resuming an app, etc) was pretty slow - and much worse than the similarly priced Android phone that I tested alongside it.

Actually all WPs are that way, not just the cheap ones. The higher quality ones are not necessarily slow, but not fast either.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll say that I haven't used a "cheap" android device lately, but my last phone (Optimus G) started developing problems sooner than my 520 and I've had both for a pretty good length of time

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The problem with Android isn't the initial experience. It's how the phone performs a year later.

exactly and I also worry about how this may taint the Lumia brand. I know for myself personally I have owned phones from Motorola and their cameras suck. Never mind that they may make windows phone one day with Lenovo. I will never own another Motorola due to their crud cameras and I associate all Motorola devices to be the same.

I had Samsung and I associate many issues I had with Samsung and never will buy one again.

Given how crappy android is on low hardware with this outdated version, after a years time I can only imagine how bad it will be and I would not be surprised if people associated problems with the os with the x line and then turnaround and just don't bother with the Lumia line.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
exactly and I also worry about how this may taint the Lumia brand. I know for myself personally I have owned phones from Motorola and their cameras suck. Never mind that they may make windows phone one day with Lenovo. I will never own another Motorola due to their crud cameras and I associate all Motorola devices to be the same.

I had Samsung and I associate many issues I had with Samsung and never will buy one again.

Given how crappy android is on low hardware with this outdated version, after a years time I can only imagine how bad it will be and I would not be surprised if people associated problems with the os with the x line and then turnaround and just don't bother with the Lumia line.

If I was Nokia, I would make sure that I emphasized that the X is not as good a phone as the lowest Lumia. It's just there if you absolutely need and want Android.

If you want a smoother long term experience, upgrade to a Lumia!

The good thing about Nokia is that they are known for stellar hardware. If things start slowing down on their X phone, maybe users will attribute that to Android. Especially if they see a phone with similar specs in a low end Lumia still running like a champ.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If I was Nokia, I would make sure that I emphasized that the X is not as good a phone as the lowest Lumia. It's just there if you absolutely need and want Android.

If you want a smoother long term experience, upgrade to a Lumia!

The good thing about Nokia is that they are known for stellar hardware. If things start slowing down on their X phone, maybe users will attribute that to Android. Especially if they see a phone with similar specs in a low end Lumia still running like a champ.

The thing is we do not yet know how the Nokia X will perform. What if it performs better than the lowest Lumia?

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
This phone is going to flop. It isn't WP it is running, so those specs are going to not run like people have come to expect from a nokia. This is 2014, not 2011 Nokia.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss