Nokia X preorder reaches 1 million in China alone.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
with the position nokia were in before android came to prominence i doubt samsung would be the samsung we know now if nokia went android. samsung rode on the coat tails of android while nokia stood by the side with their symbian. if both went the same route i doubt samsung would be able to cut down the lead nokia had then.
even now if we compare the flagship nokia hardware with s5 the hardware is clearly better on nokia. people prefer s5 due to android mainly. a 1520 or icon with android? i doubt what reason people would have to go for a s5.
it would have been nokia vs apple .

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Well color me surprised. I wonder how some people will defend this as good news for WP. It seems maybe Nokia could at one point competed with the best of the Android world had they not gone all in with WP. Alas, the world will never know.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well color me surprised. I wonder how some people will defend this as good news for WP. It seems maybe Nokia could at one point competed with the best of the Android world had they not gone all in with WP. Alas, the world will never know.

Also puts to rest the claim that people in emerging markets just want cheap phones, I don't recall any Nokia Asha or WP phones getting 1 million preorders in China or anywhere else so it must be the OS that's making a difference this time round and buyers are obviously aware of this which makes a mockery of the so called strategy to use this as a leader to WP sales later on.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Considering that Nokia X doesn't have access to Google Play, I wonder what it is that makes the Nokia X sold. Perhaps its just the ability to run Android apps. .apk

Well, I feel like this is what MSFT wanted to see. I feel like they might make it so .apk's can run on WP

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This shows that Nokia was wrong to go windows alone. They would be fighting tooth and nail with Samsung if they went android. Anyway lets see.

I hate to break it to you, but one million is nothing!

Up until very recently Nokia sold over 80 million low-cost units per quarter! For China, those million devices represent a market share of less than 0.1 %. That isn't a huge success. Ultimately it's still far too early to call this a success or a failure. With only a million pre orders however, I think I'd be more sceptical than optimistic.

Considering that Nokia X doesn't have access to Google Play, I wonder what it is that makes the Nokia X sold.

In China that is completely irrelevant. No Android device in China has access to the Google Play store, so there is no difference.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I hate to break it to you, but one million is nothing!

Up until very recently Nokia sold over 80 million low-cost units per quarter! For China, those million devices represent a market share of less than 0.1 %. That isn't a huge success. Ultimately it's still far too early to be call this a success or a failure. With only a million pre orders, I think I'd be more sceptical than optimistic.

In China that is completely irrelevant. No Android device in China has access to the Google Play store, so there is no difference.

Well these are only the preorders they've sold so far, and in one country only. If they had opted for a dual strategy back in 2011 they most likely would have done at least the same but probably more than their WP sales over the same period. And no WP device has sold 1 million preorders so they are already ahead of their WP strategy.

I think there definitely can be an argument for Nokia to have been dual platform from the start.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And no WP device has sold 1 million preorders so they are already ahead of their WP strategy.

That I will give you, but I also don't think it's relevant. I'm not comparing this to WP sales, but to Asha sales, which these devices will ultimately end up replacing.

I think there definitely can be an argument for Nokia to have been dual platform from the start.

I'm just as sceptical about that as I ever was, but yeah, maybe. We will never know.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I agree. I realize that Samsung is a formidable competitor, but Nokia produces some top notch hardware. I think they could've done well with Android competing with Samsung.

So one million more people are about to be using Microsoft's services. Nice...

You're an optimist, a glass-half-full kind of person! :grin: Getting users on Microsoft's services and then steering them to Lumia is the goal of the Nokia X.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Considering that Nokia X doesn't have access to Google Play, I wonder what it is that makes the Nokia X sold. Perhaps its just the ability to run Android apps. .apk

Well, I feel like this is what MSFT wanted to see. I feel like they might make it so .apk's can run on WP
In my opinion, if WP could run .apk files then WP would be in real trouble in terms of developers supporting it with apps. It would give them no reason to support the platform. Why would a developer make a dedicated WP app when they can skip all the trouble and just make one android app. If that were to happen all you would see are apps that don't fit into the WP design language. See BB10 as an example.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
That I will give you, but I also don't think it's relevant. I'm not comparing this to WP sales, but to Asha sales, which these devices will ultimately end up replacing.

But why not go after these sales with WP devices themselves instead of this roundabout way? These are new devices which are going to have to have new resources devoted to supporting them under Microsoft, why not save that efffort and go with a subsidized Lumia 520 which accomplishes both goals of getting these users onto Microsoft services AND using WP? This is what doesnt make sense to me, the 520 is old enough that they could discount it as is and with all the money Microsoft seems willing to spend subsidizing cheap Windows tablets, the Xbox 1 and Surface I dont know why WP isnt getting the same treatment, for this scenario at least.

Now we hear rumours of MS waiving the license fee for WP for some Indian OEM's and this strategy makes even less sense. Could that not have been used to get the cost of a WP handset even lower for these emerging markets? Why turn to your competitors OS with a faux WP skin and pretend this is some grand plan that will sell your own OS at some undertermined point in the future?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
But why not go after these sales with WP devices themselves instead of this roundabout way? These are new devices which are going to have to have new resources devoted to supporting them under Microsoft, why not save that efffort and go with a subsidized Lumia 520 which accomplishes both goals of getting these users onto Microsoft services AND using WP? This is what doesnt make sense to me, the 520 is old enough that they could discount it as is and with all the money Microsoft seems willing to spend subsidizing cheap Windows tablets, the Xbox 1 and Surface I dont know why WP isnt getting the same treatment, for this scenario at least.

Now we hear rumours of MS waiving the license fee for WP for some Indian OEM's and this strategy makes even less sense. Could that not have been used to get the cost of a WP handset even lower for these emerging markets? Why turn to your competitors OS with a faux WP skin and pretend this is some grand plan that will sell your own OS at some undertermined point in the future?

You have to keep in mind that almost all of the people who would buy this phone most likely wouldn't have bought a Windows Phone anyways. This at least gets them using Microsoft's services.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But why not go after these sales with WP devices themselves instead of this roundabout way?

I believe at least part of the reasoning is that using Android will give users access to Android apps. Users will go for the Android device because the apps missing in WP are available. The Nokia X will put them on Microsoft's services. The customers buying the Nokia X would probably buy a different Android device if the Nokia X was not available. At least this way Microsoft gets the services. Getting users into Microsoft's ecosystem will hopefully direct their attention to a Lumia device the next time they buy a phone.

This is how I understand the theory; let's see how it spins out.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
You are correct.. Google is getting a lot of searches from Andriod and IOS. IOS now runs siri with Biing now. Nokia X using Bing.. So the more Nokia X sells the more bing hits.. The more the better.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But why not go after these sales with WP devices themselves instead of this roundabout way?

Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely not going to argue with you about how many people the Nokia X will eventually convert to WP. I'm just as sceptical as you are.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with tgp. The Nokia X really is about the apps. Particularly in China, where Google's services aren't available. From what I understand, Chinese Android stores include thousands of apps that are specific to the Chinese market, many of which aren't even available on iOS. Given that even iOS hasn't got a grip on the Chinese app situation, I expect the WP app situation probably resembles a barren wasteland. I don't see how the Nokia X will change anything about that, but at least Nokia isn't forced to sacrifice the low end entirely.

I agree that MS is in danger of fighting on too many OS fronts. Soon they will have to deal with Symbian, Android and WP, all at the same time. Something must give. Although I see few synergies between the Nokia X and the Lumia series, I see even less with Symbian, so going with Android might be the lesser of two evils.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow! It is evident that MSFT had to buy Nokia. More power to MSFT. I didn't like this at first. But it is starting to make sense now. Can you imagine what MSFT can do with Android? I think I got it. WP and a MSFT Android Phone. To separate entities. Hmmm I thought I would never say this. Brilliant!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3