retrieving photos from SD card

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Earlier on today I took some photos to use in a report, I powered down my phone (Lumia 625) and when I turned it back on the following message was displayed "Scan SD card and fix errors" anyway, when I went view my photos they were gone! However earlier on I deleted a couple of photos and they have 'magically' reappeared in my pictures. Also whenever I try to view a photo I've took it says that it can't be displayed, and to try again later!

Does anyone know how I can get these photos back? I tried looking online but the only tools you can use for this cost quite a bit, and I'm a bit sceptical about 'free' recovery tools :/

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cease using that card immediately or you risk more damage to files.

My choice is to plug it into a PC and use Recuva.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Cease using that card immediately or you risk more damage to files.

My choice is to plug it into a PC and use Recuva.

Absolutely right here. Personal experience here on multiple occasions. I usually don't quote someone just to +1 it, but I feel it needs stressing. Xandros9 is 100% correct here. Take it out, get a new card for the phone. Use a PC to attempt recovery using a tool like Recuva. If Recuva can't get it, then you probably won't be able to recover it.

More than likely, from the sound of things, with the "deleted" files reappearing and "new files" disappearing, you may find that those files were only deleted and added in the phone's cache, and were never successfully written to the card. The card has most likely had the Input side of the Input/output controller borked. In all likelihood, this is a case of another SD card entering what is known as "permanent read-only mode" where you won't even be able to format it with a PC. It renders the card useless, if that is what has happened.

First thing, try the Recuva on PC. If that doesn't get it, test writing to the card from PC. If you can't write to it, test deleting a file. If the files won't permanently delete, try the Format option from the PC, and if the card fails to format, it's gone for good.

Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out.

Oh, don't buy the same brand and model SD card to replace. Switch brands, because certain brands have this issue quite often with Windows Phones. Team Group cards tend to have the issue on their less expensive cards, for one example. SanDisk is usually okay if you get the Ultra models. Not that others aren't good, but generally speaking I haven't yet heard of a problem with the SanDisk Ultra.

According to the tech support directors of 3 different companies I have researched this very issue with, there is actually a compatibility issue between some phone SOCs and the memory controller for the cards. The cards were designed with cameras in mind first, and apparently some of these cards have issues with phones using several of the Qualcomm SOCs.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently in the process of scanning, and I have ordered a Samsung Evo 32gb Micro SD from Amazon for ?10.00 ($15.00) to replace the SanDisk 8gb.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely right here. Personal experience here on multiple occasions. I usually don't quote someone just to +1 it, but I feel it needs stressing. Xandros9 is 100% correct here. Take it out, get a new card for the phone. Use a PC to attempt recovery using a tool like Recuva. If Recuva can't get it, then you probably won't be able to recover it.

More than likely, from the sound of things, with the "deleted" files reappearing and "new files" disappearing, you may find that those files were only deleted and added in the phone's cache, and were never successfully written to the card. The card has most likely had the Input side of the Input/output controller borked. In all likelihood, this is a case of another SD card entering what is known as "permanent read-only mode" where you won't even be able to format it with a PC. It renders the card useless, if that is what has happened.

First thing, try the Recuva on PC. If that doesn't get it, test writing to the card from PC. If you can't write to it, test deleting a file. If the files won't permanently delete, try the Format option from the PC, and if the card fails to format, it's gone for good.

Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out.

Oh, don't buy the same brand and model SD card to replace. Switch brands, because certain brands have this issue quite often with Windows Phones. Team Group cards tend to have the issue on their less expensive cards, for one example. SanDisk is usually okay if you get the Ultra models. Not that others aren't good, but generally speaking I haven't yet heard of a problem with the SanDisk Ultra.

According to the tech support directors of 3 different companies I have researched this very issue with, there is actually a compatibility issue between some phone SOCs and the memory controller for the cards. The cards were designed with cameras in mind first, and apparently some of these cards have issues with phones using several of the Qualcomm SOCs.

Its rather strange that the SD card started to act up after about 4 months of use, is this common?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Its rather strange that the SD card started to act up after about 4 months of use, is this common?

No.
but there's always bad luck and stuff.

My 920 has worked perfectly thus far, but I've heard of an unlucky soul who ended up swapping it multiple times with support, etc.

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I've just finished the scan and ALL the picture are corrupt, also to put the icing on the cake the pictures I took yesterday are gone

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Average failure of an SD card will usually happen between 2 and 6 months, so 4 is right in there. Usually if it lasts longer than 6 months, you're good to go. There are some that will fail within a day or 2, but that is actually more rare than 4 months, according to these techs I've talked to. Then again, they probably never hear about the ones that fail in under 30 days, because those will get returned to the store instead of the manufacturer. I never got that part of the research done, and I'm done doing research. Life has gotten too busy, which is why I retired so darn young.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster