AT&T 3G speeds

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else in the South getting horrible 3G speeds from AT&T. I barley get 100k down now. I'm going to call them and ***** at them about their speeds. **** edge was faster than this. /s

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
1.49Mbps in Central Florida. That's why I use WiFi most of the time.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Its been this way for a long time. I'm normally on WiFi, but I like to use 3g because I'm paying for it

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the Midwest and it sucks here. After three tests, the best I can get is .77 mbps down, .16 up and 730 ping.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just download BandWidth. Its free and works well. A friend on AT&T in the Washington, D.C. area typically gets 3-5.00 Mbps download speeds, so it's just a matter of where you are.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I am flip-flopping from 1.50Mbps to 2.00Mbps. However, there are AT&T antennas and hardware in my building (I can get 4 bars in the underground parking garage).

Michael.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have AT&T for my work phone. Sometimes, especially around mid-day, the speeds are just atrocious. One time, the fastest connection I could get was around 70 Kb/sec. . . and at the same time, I couldn't make a phone call for more than about 30 seconds without it being dropped. And this is in the city of Chicago with a strong signal.

It's not a signal strength issue, it's a network capacity issue. During off-peak times it's usually quite fast. But when it gets bad, it gets really, really bad.

anon62607

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
What I don't get is, I have 4 bars, and my speeds are around 80k. WTH.

Here's the thing, you are sharing the tower, and the radio spectrum, with a bunch of other users. You could be right next to the tower and still see the same thing, that tower has to service you and (on average) 300 other users at the same time (per sector). If you're on AT&T 3G the whole bandwidth for the sector is roughly 18 MBit (using 15/16 for FEC off the top of my head, but I don't remember specifically what it is in the best radio environment) with 1 Mbps or so reserved for control. So if you have 50 users in that sector downloading as fast as they can you're going to be seeing 375 kbps, max. If you have 150 users doing that it's going to be at best 125 kbps, and so on.

This is all completely independent of the RSSI indication. That's only telling you how strong the signal is, not how many other people are using it.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I have AT&T for my work phone. Sometimes, especially around mid-day, the speeds are just atrocious. One time, the fastest connection I could get was around 70 Kb/sec. . . and at the same time, I couldn't make a phone call for more than about 30 seconds without it being dropped. And this is in the city of Chicago with a strong signal.

It's not a signal strength issue, it's a network capacity issue. During off-peak times it's usually quite fast. But when it gets bad, it gets really, really bad.

I run into the same thing in Chicago with AT&T.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Charlotte tested using WiFI
15.60 Mbps DL
2.53mbps Upload
Latency 207ms
I have Uverse Max Pro even with UV Realtime it's about the best results I can verify. There is no way to isolate WIFI using UV Realtime as it does not show WIFI devices separately on the graphs so Bandwidth maybe off. I can test disabling the 4 TV's and DVR but not the WIFI connections

Last edited:

D.A.R.Y.L.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I use to get 2.5- 3.0 down with my iPhone 4. Wonder if it's a WP7 issue.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

I never tested the speeds here in Indianapolis but I did notice that my iPhone seems faster browsing the web compared to my DVP.
I was also wondering if it was a WP7 issue. It was never ungodly slow to be concerned about but not as zippy as my iPhone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss