Microsoft 'Build' Keynote Live

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna download it tonight and play with it tomorrow. Still trying to decide what to install it on. There's my laptop, which is ancient and only has like 10 gigs of free space. Or I can put it on my recently built desktop.
Yeah really looking forward to trying it out too Figure 8 Dash.

I'll just use my main PC as i have an image ready to pop back on after my tinkering.

How utterly exciting! :)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah really looking forward to trying it out too Figure 8 Dash.

I'll just use my main PC as i have an image ready to pop back on after my tinkering.

How utterly exciting! :)

I'm hoping there's an option to create a separate partition during installation. If not, I can always create one myself.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Know what's missing from all this? WP7 marketing. Should be a no-brainer to have WP7 front and center somewhere as a nice teaser to Windows 8 and introduce people to the Metro UI concept, Live ID and Skydrive. This story at the BBC doesnt even mention WP7: BBC News - Microsoft unveils its new Windows 8 operating system.

Sorry to keep on but until WP7 is everywhere and at 99% marketshare I wont be happy! :)

And I did catch the keynote, was what the word AWESOME was invented for. :D

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of curious how apps will work on Windows 8. Since Win8 will run on ARM CPUs as well as x86, I'm guessing everyone will have to recompile their apps to support ARM as well. It would suck to get a tablet and then find out that it won't run apps that your Win8 PC can run. I didn't get a chance to watch the keynote. Did they address that at all?

Edit: I'm talking about non-Silverlight and non-.NET apps here.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of curious how apps will work on Windows 8. Since Win8 will run on ARM CPUs as well as x86, I'm guessing everyone will have to recompile their apps to support ARM as well. It would suck to get a tablet and then find out that it won't run apps that your Win8 PC can run. I didn't get a chance to watch the keynote. Did they address that at all?

Edit: I'm talking about non-Silverlight and non-.NET apps here.

Your old programs will be considered "Classic" programs.

On an x86 machine, you'll have an app called "Desktop" that you can launch. When launched, you pretty much have Windows 7. There, you can run all of your Classic programs.

Windows 8 on ARM will not support Classic applications.

So if you need support for a particular application, you could wait until it's available as a Windows 8 app, or you could just make sure you get an x86 based tablet.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just downloaded the preview. I'll install it on my old laptop tomorrow - C2D 1.4 GHz, 2GB RAM, Geforce 8400M, 60GB SSD. Should be interesting to see how well it runs on that hardware. I'll post an update tomorrow :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
So how's everyone getting on with Windows 8 ?

Loving Internet Explorer 10.

Still finding my way around all the new goodies, but so far, it's a hmmmm i'm a bit lost LOL :)

Last edited:

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
There's a few conferences at BUILD regarding Windows Phone. BUILD | September 13 - 16, 2011 | Anaheim Convention Center

It looks like they are debranding Silverlight. Now they are just referring to is as XAML+C#.

Also... about the Samsung tablets. Those are only for developer preview. MS stated that those tablets will not launch with Windows 8. They are actually tablets that Samsung is making for Windows 7 slates.

Yep it seems like the 16th is going go be the big day for WP7. If I counted correctly there will be a total of 12 seminars

It?s not a great phone app without ASP.NET services and push notifications | BUILD2011 | Channel 9

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It's very weird having your installed programs show up on the start screen rather on the traditional start menu.

I guess you would get used to it over time.

Although you can enable the classic start menu with a registry hack.

Anyone else tried it yet ? What do you think of it? Can't just be me! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99