So what are you guys gonna do when T-Mobile is gone...?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I just started using T-Mobile's prepaid service and it is the best service I've ever had. Their EDGE speeds are like what I'm used to using Sprint's "3G" (who let me out of my contract ETF free because of how bad their service was), so having the $50 plan is enough for me and I love it (although I will switch to the $70 one because I will never touch 5GB).

There has been one thing that's kept me from signing a new 2-year contract though: the potential end of T-Mobile. Where will you guys go if T-Mobile is gone, and how long do you think it will take before it happens? I, for one, hate AT&T. I'm praying Sprint get's their 3G fixed by the time this does happen because I hate Verizon as well.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Their edge speed is very good. I think it's actually 2.5G.

I really doubt that the merger will happen. It would give AT&T a monopoly on GSM and cut out another source on competition.

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
There edge speed is very good. I think it's actually 2.5G.

I really doubt that the merger will happen. It would give AT&T a monopoly on GSM and cut out another source on competition.

Well, from what I've read, Deutsche Telekom is no longer interested in keeping them, so they are trying to sell them. I don't think the merger will happen either, but if they get sold they are still gone either way....

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I just signed up on T-Mobile :).

I have had them before and I am glad that I am back. The Radar is one fantastic piece of technology.

Anyways, I am not worried about it. If AT&T can't buy them then I could see Sprint doing so. Not sure how that would all work out with them having a CDMA network but Sprint is really lacking in the 4G department only having it in the major cities.

If not Sprint then somebody will. Maybe some kind of dark-horse like Bell or something?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Well, from what I've read, Deutsche Telekom is no longer interested in keeping them, so they are trying to sell them. I don't think the merger will happen either, but if they get sold they are still gone either way....

That's what I've read too. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I just signed up on T-Mobile :).

I have had them before and I am glad that I am back. The Radar is one fantastic piece of technology.

Anyways, I am not worried about it. If AT&T can't buy them then I could see Sprint doing so. Not sure how that would all work out with them having a CDMA network but Sprint is really lacking in the 4G department only having it in the major cities.

If not Sprint then somebody will. Maybe some kind of dark-horse like Bell or something?

Yea..T-Mobile for the win. Even their slowest speeds kill Sprint's, and the customer service has been better than I thought it would be. Shame things aren't going well for them.

I want the Radar so bad, but I don't want to sign the contract for two seasons:

1. The news of T-Mobile's fate
2. I want to see if better devices come through (Nokia device with FFC AND NFC or HTC device with FFC and NFC).

That's what I've read too. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road.

Yea....I'm not too hopeful because the way things have been broken down. Either way Deutsche Telekom wants to get rid of TMO.....

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile isn't going anywhere. If AT&T doesn't buy them then someone else will and whoever buys them still have to honor the old contracts.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
T-Mobile isn't going anywhere. If AT&T doesn't buy them then someone else will and whoever buys them still has the honor the old contracts.

I think ultimately this is what will happen. Looking increasingly like the att merger wont happen, and for the same reasons I dont think any other US carrier takeover wont happen either. Hopefully some investors or private consortium will be interested enough to buy tmo. I use tmo as well, and hopefully will be able to continue to do so unless there is no alternative to get my next WP7 device.

I like the idea of DirecTV buying them.

Something like that could work. Hopefully if someone else does buy them they dont raise prices to Verizon levels!

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on a prepay plan with the HD7 I won't sign a contract till the merger fails. I'm still with sprint but I will probably be let out today as the next upgrade on the towers here won't be completed till February however, the network.sprint.com site tells a different story. It says that there has been one data capacity upgrade completed on the tower that serves me and only voice upgrades are scheduled.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on a prepay plan with the HD7 I won't sign a contract till the merger fails. I'm still with sprint but I will probably be let out today as the next upgrade on the towers here won't be completed till February however, the network.sprint.com site tells a different story. It says that there has been one data capacity upgrade completed on the tower that serves me and only voice upgrades are scheduled.

I'm in the exact same boat, only they let me out ETF free and are just awaiting for me to port my number elsewhere for it to be official. T-Mobile prepaid is the bomb....I love the freedom of not having a contract and the plans and coverage are phenomenal....T-Mobile ftw all the way

I too have an HD7, looking for a Radar on Craigslist or eBay.

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the exact same boat, only they let me out ETF free and are just awaiting for me to port my number elsewhere for it to be official. T-Mobile prepaid is the bomb....I love the freedom of not having a contract and the plans and coverage are phenomenal....T-Mobile ftw all the way

I too have an HD7, looking for a Radar on Craigslist or eBay.

I'm waiting for them to let me out ETF free. I emailed dan@sprint.com requesting to be and this person called me and said that he can't do it till he gets the final results from the network maintenance team (which they gave to me last Thursday and I told him that last Friday when he called me). I'm waiting for him to call today and if it's the same I'm going to go ahead and port over my number.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I was going to sign up with T-mobile but they didn't wanted me to get an HD7 while having the audacity of not having an iphone, so I had to chose another carrier.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just started using T-Mobile's prepaid service and it is the best service I've ever had. Their EDGE speeds are like what I'm used to using Sprint's "3G" (who let me out of my contract ETF free because of how bad their service was), so having the $50 plan is enough for me and I love it (although I will switch to the $70 one because I will never touch 5GB).

There has been one thing that's kept me from signing a new 2-year contract though: the potential end of T-Mobile. Where will you guys go if T-Mobile is gone, and how long do you think it will take before it happens? I, for one, hate AT&T. I'm praying Sprint get's their 3G fixed by the time this does happen because I hate Verizon as well.
Yeah, I just switched to T-Mobile from Sprint and feel the same way. It's faster.

My only problem is I'm on the $50 plan but am not getting photos thru text.

I also don't think T-Mobile is going to go away. Only way that would happen is if AT&T was able to purchase. They're going to be blocked, so someone else will buy and keep it going. (I would love for Google to jump in there but that's a dream)

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just switched to T-Mobile from Sprint and feel the same way. It's faster.

My only problem is I'm on the $50 plan but am not getting photos thru text.

I also don't think T-Mobile is going to go away. Only way that would happen is if AT&T was able to purchase. They're going to be blocked, so someone else will buy and keep it going. (I would love for Google to jump in there but that's a dream)

eww not Google, id rather at&t have them than Google.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It depends on where you live.

T-Mobile coverage is worse than Sprint. In some markets you can get 4+ Mbps down on a HSPA 7.2 device with 2 Mbps+ upload speeds.

In other markets you can struggle to maintain a GPRS signal to make calls. I lived by an HSPA+ market before I moved where the service was like that. Awesome in the city. Drive 3 miles out and it goes from 3G to 1 bar of GPRS and I couldn't make a call longer than 30 seconds without it dropping.

The drive up here was terrible, because unless you're in a metro area the T-Mobile service is terrible.

I get full service here, but I've yet to get a Speed Test > 1Mbps down. Their 3G connection here is giving me high end EDGE speeds half the time.

When they're gone I'll simply go to another carrier. Given their service here Sprint and their Slow 3G speeds would be better than what I'm getting here (Spring has WiMax here, as well, and it speed tests like 2 Mbps down with 1 bar of 4G on the phone... ...)

In all honesty, I'd probably go with AT&T and get one of their LTE phones for two reasons:

1. Simultaneous Voice and Data - CDMA sucks with how it cuts off your data connection when you're on a call, and I don't like depending on the presense of both WiMax/LTE and CDMA coverage for that.

2. AT&T actually is working on expanding their network. Before I got T-Mobile I had no AT&T service. They told me to wait some months for a Tower to go up. I left cause I needed to make calls. Few months later everyone around me with AT&T had 3G/HSPA+ and I still had to walk out to the road to make a call, unless I used WiFi calling (which won't help you on a WP7 device, so their coverage forced me to keep the phone I wanted to replace when I bought the HD7...).

Sprint is cheap and they Have WiMax here so the SV&D is a bit less of an issue. However their phone repetoire is kind of bad. I'd basically be limited to an Android phone on them. Verizon is expensive and is a show stopper. AT&T offers the most choice IRT devices and platform choice.

Also, the FCC would never allow Google to purchase T-Mobile, not after having purchased Moto Mobility. That's just asking for trouble. It's like if Microsoft had purchased HP's PC devision.

sin_nombre773

Banned
Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
It depends on where you live.

T-Mobile coverage is worse than Sprint. In some markets you can get 4+ Mbps down on a HSPA 7.2 device with 2 Mbps+ upload speeds.

In other markets you can struggle to maintain a GPRS signal to make calls. I lived by an HSPA+ market before I moved where the service was like that. Awesome in the city. Drive 3 miles out and it goes from 3G to 1 bar of GPRS and I couldn't make a call longer than 30 seconds without it dropping.

The drive up here was terrible, because unless you're in a metro area the T-Mobile service is terrible.

I get full service here, but I've yet to get a Speed Test > 1Mbps down. Their 3G connection here is giving me high end EDGE speeds half the time.

When they're gone I'll simply go to another carrier. Given their service here Sprint and their Slow 3G speeds would be better than what I'm getting here (Spring has WiMax here, as well, and it speed tests like 2 Mbps down with 1 bar of 4G on the phone... ...)

In all honesty, I'd probably go with AT&T and get one of their LTE phones for two reasons:

1. Simultaneous Voice and Data - CDMA sucks with how it cuts off your data connection when you're on a call, and I don't like depending on the presense of both WiMax/LTE and CDMA coverage for that.

2. AT&T actually is working on expanding their network. Before I got T-Mobile I had no AT&T service. They told me to wait some months for a Tower to go up. I left cause I needed to make calls. Few months later everyone around me with AT&T had 3G/HSPA+ and I still had to walk out to the road to make a call, unless I used WiFi calling (which won't help you on a WP7 device, so their coverage forced me to keep the phone I wanted to replace when I bought the HD7...).

Sprint is cheap and they Have WiMax here so the SV&D is a bit less of an issue. However their phone repetoire is kind of bad. I'd basically be limited to an Android phone on them. Verizon is expensive and is a show stopper. AT&T offers the most choice IRT devices and platform choice.

Also, the FCC would never allow Google to purchase T-Mobile, not after having purchased Moto Mobility. That's just asking for trouble. It's like if Microsoft had purchased HP's PC devision.

WRONG!! T-Mobile's coverage is actually better than sprint's in some areas on sprint I was roaming whereas on Tmo I still had 3G. During my commute I don't lose my 3G signal at all like I used to with sprint which makes for a pleasant streaming experience. Furthermore sprint has also lost alot of coverage because their roaming agreements were dropped so their coverage is on the same level as T-mobile's also in areas where at&t has EDGE or no signal, T-mobile still had 3G. Finally T-mobile's 3G absolutely trouches sprint's 4G, its actually been tested. T-mobile came in second on the PCMag test and was only bested by Verizon 4G LTE. Do a little bit more research before posting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz