Will it happen?

A federal agency on Tuesday called for a ban on all cellphone use by drivers the most far-reaching such recommendation to date saying its decision was based on a decade of investigations into distraction-related accidents, as well as growing concerns that powerful mobile devices are giving drivers even more reasons to look away from the road.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/te...r-drivers.html
    12-13-2011 10:34 PM
    I think it's up to the state but in all honesty what can they do to enforce it? I have Bluetooth on my jeep that allows me to dial and answer with out ever taking off the road. That was a feature they put in because of some law somewhere. So they urge all these people to have have something like that then they turn around and say "no you can't use that"? Law makers are on the pipe if they do.

And in all honesty, how would law enforcement know the difference between me talking on the phone via Bluetooth and me just being a lunatic who talks to himself in the car? They can't touch anything in my car or in my pocket without a warrant so they really can't check my phone log.

I don't see it happening. Besides, looking at a phone is no worse than looking for a radio station or changing a CD or looking for a cigarette. what's next? No smoking or radios in the car?

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express
    12-14-2011 06:32 AM
    I agree that it would be difficult to enforce but I hope it does happen. If a small percentage of abusers stop texting and talking while driving; it would make a big difference.
    12-14-2011 07:19 AM
    Here'a our current law. Just seeing you mentioned it palandri. Always nice to compare. :)

The Law and Using Your Mobile Phone While Driving - No Penalty Points
    12-14-2011 07:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD