It's Official - Google Is Evil Now

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh dear, indeed.

Hey, Weebear, this is taken from my Facebook (12th Jan 2012):

Me: "It all started when they bought Youtube, kicked everyone out of their accounts and said "open a gmail account to continue using it". Didn't need Gmail - didn't want it. Now they're shoving Google + in our faces by tailoring searches around it and pushing Google + searches up the rankings. It won't be long before Youtube gets the same treatment. What annoys me the most about Google is their fixation with advertising. They record every move we make so they can tailor adverts towards us... with something as powerful as Facebook (Google +), they know they'll be able to tap into even more private info. They can stick it. I'm out."

I so done with Google. Since moving over to Bing, I've been pleasantly surprised at how good it is at getting the job done. Youtube is next to go. Vimeo is my friend.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
How dare they provide a whole range of online services for free, and have the nerve to show ads. Extremely EVIL!!!
Good thing MS doesn't require a hotmail account to use their services. Or require windows phone users to sync with Zune, etc.
Capitalism ain't free.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
How dare they provide a whole range of online services for free, and have the nerve to show ads. Extremely EVIL!!!

Did you read the article. Everyone shows ads, but this.... ???

Good thing MS doesn't require a hotmail account to use their services.

Weak comparison, I'm afraid. Hotmail users got additional services. Youtube users were kicked out of their accounts and forced to sign up with Gmail.

Or require windows phone users to sync with Zune, etc.
Capitalism ain't free.

Seriously? Are you getting paid to write this stuff or what?

Okay, it's getting late and I'm getting cranky. Good night folks.

:D

sumorabbit

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Well hey now, at least Google is investing in good quality advertising.....

How else would all of those SEXY CHRISTIAN SINGLES IN RAPID CITY LOOKING 4 U!!! ever find me if Google didn't tell them where I live? We need to look at this from the perspective of every single BLACK WOMEN SRCHING 4 MEN LIKE U IN RAPID CITY SD, and how beneficial this service will be for their love lives.

Oh wow, I finally found my limit of sarcasm. I just can't muster anymore. By the way, those adds I mentioned both appeared today, through my Chrome adblock. This is going to get worse before it gets better. I wonder if Anonymous will "take down" any websites over this. Although, that's become a mere "so what?" now that they've done it so many times. Heck, they even took down the website for the European headquarters of my father's mining company (he runs one of their many, many iron ore mines, up in Minnesota). Oh well, if the government is interested in what I google search, I hope they either have an open mind (uh oh...) or strong stomachs. It may be fun to see a site like 4chan search-bomb something atrociously disgusting when this goes through in March and see what that does to their caching.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you read the article. Everyone shows ads, but this.... ???

Weak comparison, I'm afraid. Hotmail users got additional services. Youtube users were kicked out of their accounts and forced to sign up with Gmail.

Seriously? Are you getting paid to write this stuff or what?

Okay, it's getting late and I'm getting cranky. Good night folks.

:D
Seriously? Microsoft provides all their services out of the goodness of their heart, with no intent to show us adds, or sell us services? I never knew they were so charitable!
The nice thing is, if you don't like Google, or Microsoft, or Apple, or Facebook, etc, you have other choices. The real beauty of the internet.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
In light of their new search and privacy policies I'm going to minimize my google usage as much as possible. Just my take on it, to each his own.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
In light of their new search and privacy policies I'm going to minimize my google usage as much as possible. Just my take on it, to each his own.

If you'd like to know more about who's watching you, there is a program called Ghostery which I got at CNET which will tell you who is tracking at each site you visit. As I typed this, there are 14 'entities' tracking me at wpcentral. I don't think this site is evil either, they're a company who spends a lot to provide us with our favorite site, and would like to get paid for it.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
If you'd like to know more about who's watching you, there is a program called Ghostery which I got at CNET which will tell you who is tracking at each site you visit. As I typed this, there are 14 'entities' tracking me at wpcentral. I don't think this site is evil either, they're a company who spends a lot to provide us with our favorite site, and would like to get paid for it.

I'll check that out. To me the difference between Google and a company like Microsoft is that Google's only source of income is ads whereas Microsoft actually sells a product. I don't think that necessarily makes Google evil, but it does make me want to avoid using their services.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll check that out. To me the difference between Google and a company like Microsoft is that Google's only source of income is ads whereas Microsoft actually sells a product. I don't think that necessarily makes Google evil, but it does make me want to avoid using their services.

I know Google scans your gmail for keywords to target ads and hotmail doesn't. (There's a funny MS spoof of this on Youtube). I don't know the difference in data collection practices between Google search and Bing search.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost completely google free. But I just like youtube too much, I actually hold off on getting that Gmail account, until there was no way back.

Seriously? Microsoft provides all their services out of the goodness of their heart, with no intent to show us adds, or sell us services? I never knew they were so charitable!
The nice thing is, if you don't like Google, or Microsoft, or Apple, or Facebook, etc, you have other choices. The real beauty of the internet.

What if you love Google but don't want to have your data shared to others in order to get bombarded by ads you don't care about?

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost completely google free. But I just like youtube too much, I actually hold off on getting that Gmail account, until there was no way back.

What if you love Google but don't want to have your data shared to others in order to get bombarded by ads you don't care about?

Dunno. I use incognito browsing sometimes. Does any search service not collect data, sell information and sell ads?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Google has always collected your information, that's no the problem. The problem is that now you don't have a chance against it. ( remember that most of the time you get a little notification at first that say " would you want to send your _______ to company to improve whatever?" and you accept or not.)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think that's simply the price consumers pay when they stop voting with their wallets and chase after "free" lunches. My biggest problem with Google is that "we're the product" and we can't un-sell ourselves. I like knowing that if I don't like something I can choose to not buy their products. With Google the only thing you can do is not use their services. However, the general population has spoken and they've chosen free lunches > privacy. Google will make this change and people will continue using their services like nothing happened.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Wait! I have to have a GMail account to log in to YouTube? I setup a YouTube account about a year ago, but Google just asked me to setup a use name an password. Have only logged in a few times, and not in a couple months. So has something changed? I avoid Google like the plague, so this "would" be a dealbreaker for me. None of their services are free. You pay by giving up your privacy, and fill their coffers, every day. Some people don't mind that. Fair enough. I do.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I've avoided a Google account like the plague. It's to the point that I purposely avoid an 18+ YouTube video because I don't want to create a Google account.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05