AT&T Unlimted Data 2GB?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Wonder what AT&T would do to me with my 44 GB :dry

We seem to be going in the opposite direction, T-Mobile UK now has truly unlimited data with no fair usage policy or throttling.

Bit more expensive than 3, but with the smartphone explosion now happening both 3 and T-Mobile UK say it's the way forward and they don't want their customers worrying about data usage.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's soooo messed up.

Taking the top 5% in a region is a stupid policy. There is no way to know if you're in the top 5% because there isn't a set data amount.

They really should look at their highest tier and declare that nobody that uses under that amount gets throttled. No matter what. Even if users in that area tend to use so little data that the top 5% is at 3 GB.

If the article is true, then they're basically making it so that Unlimited Data users have an artificial cap that is LOWER than other users. And considering that people who have Unlimited Data were grandfathered in, that means that these are AT&T's long term loyal customers.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

We seem to be going in the opposite direction, T-Mobile UK now has truly unlimited data with no fair usage policy or throttling.

Bit more expensive than 3, but with the smartphone explosion now happening both 3 and T-Mobile UK say it's the way forward and they don't want their customers worrying about data usage.

It seems pretty crazy here in the states, compared to what you pay and get. I got an email from AT&T a while ago telling me about upping my data limit from 2GB to 4GB for an additional $25.00. I didn't bother since I use less than 1GB a month.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Sure are crazy prices compared to here, no one would ever pay that amount here, it's total extortion. :(

Existing customers on 3 who aren't on an unlimited data plan can add unlimited per month for an extra ?2.99 ($4.74)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
That's soooo messed up.

Taking the top 5% in a region is a stupid policy. There is no way to know if you're in the top 5% because there isn't a set data amount.

They really should look at their highest tier and declare that nobody that uses under that amount gets throttled. No matter what. Even if users in that area tend to use so little data that the top 5% is at 3 GB.

If the article is true, then they're basically making it so that Unlimited Data users have an artificial cap that is LOWER than other users. And considering that people who have Unlimited Data were grandfathered in, that means that these are AT&T's long term loyal customers.

I hear ya.

If a plan is sold or grandfathered in as unlimited 3G data and they throttle you at 2GB, that has to be false advertisement.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

Sure are crazy prices compared to here, no one would ever pay that amount here, it's total extortion. :(

Existing customers on 3 who aren't on an unlimited data plan can add unlimited per month for an extra ?2.99 ($4.74)

Sounds like you guys have it way better than us when it comes to data plans. I'm a bit jealous actually, lol.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Those guys at ATT are evil geniuses I tell you. We just got bamboozled! Even with $30 Unlimited data it was said there was still a hidden cap. It was always between 3-5GB. It was never made clear or official of course. They got most of its customers to switch to 2GB for $5 less. Then they turn around and raise the price back to $30, but added a whole extra 1GB! You get a total of 3GB for $30! Great deal right??? Wrong. We're right back to where we were before. Except now the 3GB cap is made official. Check... and... Mate!!! :confused:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The top 3 carriers in the U.S. aren't playing free market economics like they are suppose to be or else we would see them saying you can get 3GB of data here for $20 and then the next one would say, you can get 4GB of data for $20, then the next one would say 6GB of data for $20. That's competition.

Rather the U.S. carriers are playing follow the leader to the top, rather than competing.

If I can get the WeeBear to post what he pays in the UK again, it will make you sick and you'll see just how ripped off we are getting in the U.S.

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
The top 3 carriers in the U.S. aren't playing free market economics like they are suppose to be or else we would see them saying you can get 3GB of data here for $20 and then the next one would say, you can get 4GB of data for $20, then the next one would say 6GB of data for $20. That's competition.

Rather the U.S. carriers are playing follow the leader to the top, rather than competing.

If I can get the WeeBear to post what he pays in the UK again, it will make you sick and you'll see just how ripped off we are getting in the U.S.

I got a buddy to send me his plan details on tmobile uk he pays 45 USD for unlimited no throttle data unlimited texts and 2000 minutes plus free mobile to mobile

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I got a buddy to send me his plan details on tmobile uk he pays 45 USD for unlimited no throttle data unlimited texts and 2000 minutes plus free mobile to mobile

There ya go. If I remember correctly, WeeBear pays like $35 or $38 usd for a similar package on 3UK.

What do we pay for AT&T for 2GB of data, 500 minutes and unlimited texting? Anywhere from $90 to a 100 a month.

Bifurcated

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The US is a big place. AT&T's costs are higher. Also, if you follow the British press, there's a lot of complaining about spectrum saturation, people complaining they can't reliably get a signal in London. Be careful what you wish for is all I'm saying. ;-)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Would any of you care to offer any reasoning why we have plans that are so expensive in America compared to Europe? We sure are getting ripped off!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The US is a big place. AT&T's costs are higher. Also, if you follow the British press, there's a lot of complaining about spectrum saturation, people complaining they can't reliably get a signal in London. Be careful what you wish for is all I'm saying. ;-)

Wish I would have read this before typing my question. Is there more competition for service in Europe?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep. It's big. And it has a few more people as well. Probably a very similar ratio of users per sq.mile in the respective coverage areas. Face it. This is price fixing by the big US carriers. They convince you to use more and more data, Continue to half-build faster networks and then charge you for it. Coast to coast free WiFi is what I am waiting for. And a carrier free Microsoft Skype phone. Screw the (US) carriers.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
That's soooo messed up.

Exactly right? And I think the person in the article mentioned they only used 2.05GB that month.

So basically, this is what's happening:

Say the current top 5% of data users are using about 5GB a month, and they get a message advising them to limit their data usage or else they'll get throttled. They don't want to get throttled so they use less. Since they used less, now the top 5% are the users who are using 4.5GB, and they get a message! And it continues until someone who is using 2GB a month is now in the top 5%.

How is that fair?! This is why people hate AT&T. Not only are they not getting their unlimited data, they're getting less data than someone who's paying $30 for 3GB of data! I think it's part of their evil plan to get people switched over to tiered plans.

And as for why we pay more for wireless service than people in Europe do? I mean yes, America is a much larger country and it costs more to provide wireless coverage to a larger area, but at twice the price for less minutes and data?

Wait, to make it a valid comparison though, do you guys in the UK get phones subsidized when you sign up for a contract or are you buying them outright?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

The One Plan (2 Year Contract)

Contract Length: 24 months
Inclusive UK voice minutes: 2000 mins
Inclusive UK text messages: 5000 texts
Three-to-Three UK calls: 5000 mins
Internet Allowance: All-you-can-eat data (Includes Tethering)
?25 per month. (No handset price) ($39.54)

The One Plan (Monthly Contract)

Contract Length: 1 month
Inclusive UK voice minutes: 300 mins
Inclusive UK text messages: 3000 texts
Internet Allowance: All-you-can-eat data
?15 per month. ($23.72)

There are absolutely no fair usage policies or throttling on data plans.

It seems although I have no Twinkies or Devil Dogs, I do have Jelly Babies and
a rather wonderful mobile network that allows me to download the whole internet
without the blink of an eye.

In your face US Mobile Phone Networks! :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs