AT&T Unlimted Data 2GB?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Exactly right? And I think the person in the article mentioned they only used 2.05GB that month.

So basically, this is what's happening:

Say the current top 5% of data users are using about 5GB a month, and they get a message advising them to limit their data usage or else they'll get throttled. They don't want to get throttled so they use less. Since they used less, now the top 5% are the users who are using 4.5GB, and they get a message! And it continues until someone who is using 2GB a month is now in the top 5%.

How is that fair?! This is why people hate AT&T. Not only are they not getting their unlimited data, they're getting less data than someone who's paying $30 for 3GB of data! I think it's part of their evil plan to get people switched over to tiered plans.

And as for why we pay more for wireless service than people in Europe do? I mean yes, America is a much larger country and it costs more to provide wireless coverage to a larger area, but at twice the price for less minutes and data?

Wait, to make it a valid comparison though, do you guys in the UK get phones subsidized when you sign up for a contract or are you buying them outright?

That's what it appears they are doing.

In Europe I noted that the rates are a lot lower when you own the phone. Which I am sure is why it's more popular in Europe to buy a phone outright, rather than have it subsidized through the carrier. AT&T doesn't give you a discounted rate if you buy the phone. The only carrier in the US that was doing that was T-Mobile, and I don't know if they are doing that anymore.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Wait, to make it a valid comparison though, do you guys in the UK get phones subsidized when you sign up for a contract or are you buying them outright?

The prices I quoted above are for tariff only.

You just pick the phone you want and the extra is added on top of the ?25 contract fee.

For example the Nokia Lumia 710 is ?29 PM

The Nokia Lumia 800 is ?34

iPhone 4S ?40 and ?49 upfront for the phone or ?43 with no upfront cost.

This is on The One Plan with unlimited data. :)

Last edited:

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
You just gave the CEO of AT&T and Verizon a migraine. :lol:

If it was possible I would get tmobile fcc funds allocated for low income citizens switch the price points to match european price points if possible or slightly higher. Use gov funds from the low income payout to build infrastructure. Get more funds to get broadband service to rural areas which the fcc is big about right now they are throwing out millions on that and I believe if tmobile did that they would for once see a decent profit and be able to build out decent lte coverage and lease roaming agreements in areas where building isnt possible.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The prices I quoted above are for tariff only.

You just pick the phone you want and the extra is added on top of the ?25 contract fee.

For example the Nokia Lumia 710 is ?29 PM

The Nokia Lumia 800 is ?34

iPhone 4S ?40 and ?49 upfront for the phone or ?43 with no upfront cost.

This is on The One Plan with unlimited data. :)

See, this would totally work for me. I always buy my phones on eBay anyway. And I love how they offer 3000 texts or 5000 texts! American carriers always choose stupid numbers like 200 or unlimited. Unlimited of course, is a ripoff at $20/mo and 200 is too little.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It's a very straight forward way of doing things I think alpinestars1Z.

Just chose the tariff you want then decide what phone you would like and they add that on top per month.

Some phones are of course free so even better. :)

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
It's a very straight forward way of doing things I think alpinestars1Z.

Just chose the tariff you want then decide what phone you would like and they add that on top per month.

Some phones are of course free so even better. :)

I think it's straightforward, but Americans don't. T-Mobile US did that with their value plan, and everyone just got confused LOL. Even though for most people it's cheaper for them over the length of a two year contract, a lot of people seem to be unable to do the math.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, if you're not one of the 5% you have nothing to complain about. The highest I have ever hit was 1.5GB, once, like 2 yrs ago. As long as prices stay the same, then it's all good in my hood. ;)

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think prices should go down. :p
Well if you had jumped on the 2GB plan like I did then prices did go down. Now I'm grandfathered in while the rest of you have to pay $60 more for a year for data that most of you will never use.

Its like paying $0.25 more for a humongous cup of soda at the movies, that I will just end up throwing away. It all adds up. Id I rather save the $0.25 and just buy what is enough for me.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Well if you had jumped on the 2GB plan like I did then prices did go down. Now I'm grandfathered in while the rest of you have to pay $60 more for a year for data that most of you will never use.

Its like paying $0.25 more for a humongous cup of soda at the movies, that I will just end up throwing away. It all adds up. Id I rather save the $0.25 and just buy what is enough for me.

I don't have AT&T though, or any other national carrier for that matter, because I think they're all too expensive. But I still get AT&T service through another company (Straight Talk). :)

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't have AT&T though, or any other national carrier for that matter, because I think they're all too expensive. But I still get AT&T service through another company (Straight Talk). :)

oh I see. Well you are excused from the rest of the "you" I mentioned in my previous post :p

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Here's something the Supreme Court did that I think is ridiculous:

...But last year, the Supreme Court upheld a clause in the Dallas-based company's subscriber contract that prohibits customers from taking their complaints to class actions or jury trials...

All companies will start putting this disclaimer in anything you buy from them now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss