If I were to buy an unlocked phone, what exactly would I get? A phone, clearly, but would it work out of the box, or would I have to add a SIM card (or whatever they're called) to make phone calls? And even though a contract isn't involved, would I still get bills from the network? If so, what's the advantage over buying an on-contract phone?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum--it's not a WP question specifically, but it's general, so I don't know where it should go...

Thanks in advance.
    02-15-2012 04:31 PM
    If I were to buy an unlocked phone, what exactly would I get? A phone, clearly, but would it work out of the box, or would I have to add a SIM card (or whatever they're called) to make phone calls? And even though a contract isn't involved, would I still get bills from the network? If so, what's the advantage over buying an on-contract phone?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum--it's not a WP question specifically, but it's general, so I don't know where it should go...

Thanks in advance.
    You would need a SIM card from your service provider and as you'd be using their network you would have to pay a monthly bill for the services you use. (calling minutes, text messages, data, etc.)
    02-15-2012 06:00 PM
    You would need a SIM card from your service provider and as you'd be using their network you would have to pay a monthly bill for the services you use. (calling minutes, text messages, data, etc.)
    So what's the point of buying an unlocked phone?
    02-15-2012 06:24 PM
    So what's the point of buying an unlocked phone?
    Mostly to avoiding signing a new contract, use it on a different provider's network, or buy it outright so you can use it for prepaid.

I personally use a Radar 4G, so say instead of getting it for free with a 2 Year contract of at least $60 a month, I could buy the phone outright and use T-Mobile's Monthly 4G plans for farrrrr less around $30 a month.

Different people have different reasons though.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express
    02-15-2012 06:35 PM
    It's most likely a whole lot cheaper to buy a locked phone, then get an unlock code off eBay.
    02-16-2012 12:40 PM
    liek other say , it cost 20$ to unlock a phone from a random guy , but people sale the phone 200$ MORE cause its unlock, thats a 180$ RIP OFF.

contracts: these are for 2 things.
    1: to get the phone at a discount,
    2. if your a long time member fo the carrier they make you take contracts for special promos ( free stuff)

so you got your unlock phone you take it out of the box:

1. you can use WIFI.. thats it. if you want to make calls , go online , send txt ect.. you NEED a SIM from the carrier of your choice.

2. you walk into a carrier store: get a plan that fits your $$ needs, make sure you DO NOT GET a contract! ( cause you dont need it )

3: you will need to go to the carrier WEBSITE to get the * APN* settings for your phone
    Settings-> Cellular -> APN ( you can find the settings on carrier site ) this will make sure your SMS/DATA all work with no problems.
    02-16-2012 04:57 PM
    For me, I use 1 month rolling contracts (because I hate being tied in too long), and as such I have to buy my phones outright. This is why I buy unlocked. The carriers screws you over? You can take your money elsewhere.
    Last edited by paladinleeds; 02-27-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    02-20-2012 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD