MS/Nokia to buy RIM

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how valid it is, heard these rumors a few times now, though BGR did have a comment the other day in the RIM is dead article about a possible way to differentiate. Go WP, get BBM on all platforms, and move BES into an Exchange system. Would get you some different hardware choices as a consumer, and give businesses a modern OS with a background service they are used to. And not be counting on releasing a version 1.0 of software to save the company.

However I'm not trusting anything on the web today...

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Looks like this take over is still on the cards.

It'll be an interesting time for BB, if it happens. I guess MS/Nokia will have to continue BB's current generation of devices running RIM OS -phasing them out over 2/3 years....

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how valid it is, heard these rumors a few times now, though BGR did have a comment the other day in the RIM is dead article about a possible way to differentiate. Go WP, get BBM on all platforms, and move BES into an Exchange system. Would get you some different hardware choices as a consumer, and give businesses a modern OS with a background service they are used to. And not be counting on releasing a version 1.0 of software to save the company.

However I'm not trusting anything on the web today...

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the article. BBM on all platforms would be amazing to have. I mean WP already has Windows Live Messenger, and soon to have Skype but BBM blows that out of the water. It then gives RIM the availability to cover enterprise sector and MS to focus on public/consumer sector.

Looks like this take over is still on the cards.

It'll be an interesting time for BB, if it happens. I guess MS/Nokia will have to continue BB's current generation of devices running RIM OS -phasing them out over 2/3 years....

I wonder what the phones would look like, if they tried sticking to RIM's design with WP OS.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it will happen, MS already has Nokia on board who makes world class hardware. No need for RIM, unless they just wanted patents which MS is not in need of.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It makes perfect sense to me. With Microsoft Office integration into WP, it makes sense for Windows Phone to make a bid to become the phone of choice of the white-collar phone-for-business crowd.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it will happen, MS already has Nokia on board who makes world class hardware. No need for RIM, unless they just wanted patents which MS is not in need of.

Nokia seems to be really focusing on the style crowd. The Lumia 800 and 900 are gorgeous, but they're obviously meant as iPhone competitors, not Blackberry competitors. Blackberry could be useful for targeting the "we want discrete keyboards" crowd.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Nokia seems to be really focusing on the style crowd. The Lumia 800 and 900 are gorgeous, but they're obviously meant as iPhone competitors, not Blackberry competitors. Blackberry could be useful for targeting the "we want discrete keyboards" crowd.

That is a shrinking market. Why buy the headache that is RIM who is in dire straights? What would owning RIM bring to the table for MS? Basically what hole would owning RIM plug in the MS machine? Why would MS want to try to turn around that trainwreck when they have their own headache in WP trying to get it to not become the next Kin. I don't see any benefit for MS other than some WP fans get to gloat "Yay! We own RIM!" But for MS, they will now have two failing platforms to turn around, again no benefit for MS.

RIM has one hail Mary left in the BlackBerry 10. When that fails, and it will fail, MS can buy whatever it might want or need from RIM for peanuts without buying a headache that is the whole disaster that RIM has become in whole.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Nokia buying RIM makes a lot more sense since Nokia still makes BlackBerry like devices. However, I could see why Nokia might go to MS to help finance the deal.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
BB might be the key to getting the super cheap devices Nokia wants to flood emerging markets with. That's the only reason I can think of making such a ridiculous buy. rim is worthless in the modern tech world.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
That is a shrinking market. Why buy the headache that is RIM who is in dire straights? What would owning RIM bring to the table for MS? Basically what hole would owning RIM plug in the MS machine? Why would MS want to try to turn around that trainwreck when they have their own headache in WP trying to get it to not become the next Kin. I don't see any benefit for MS other than some WP fans get to gloat "Yay! We own RIM!" But for MS, they will now have two failing platforms to turn around, again no benefit for MS.

RIM has one hail Mary left in the BlackBerry 10. When that fails, and it will fail, MS can buy whatever it might want or need from RIM for peanuts without buying a headache that is the whole disaster that RIM has become in whole.

I think the name recognition of "Blackberry" is the only asset of real value that RIM currently has...but it's worth a lot. I think a line of "Blackberry -- powered by Windows Phone" devices with dedicated keyboards and Windows Phone OS could do incredibly well with the same sort of people who buy ThinkPads.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Nokia, Motorola and RIM are the 3 old school manufacturers, between them they hold most of the patents that underpin the industry. WP would be probably be bulletproof with RIM under the umbrella.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire