Hi everyone, I am getting the Nokia lumia 900 pretty soon which would be my first windows phone ever.
    Since I am new, there are quite a few questions stuck in my head and need some advice.

Windows phone are known for its live tiles, and I know it is a big data consumption but I would like to leave data always on. So I was wondering which two plans should I get, I will be adding a line to my family plan. I would only use data to use email, Facebook, twitter, or any apps that constantly push updates to your phone. I would never bother to stream or download any media except uploading images.

1. unlimited text + 300 mb of data OR
    2. 3 gb of data

If I choose to go with the 3gb plan, is there any app that will let me send/recieve SMS via data? And how much data would that consume.
    Which plan would be a smarter deal for me! Thanks!
    MAERSK likes this.
    04-10-2012 11:13 AM
    (Assuming you are in the U.S. and talking about using AT&T here)

What I got was the 450 minute plan, with unlimited text messaging which comes with unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling and the 3 GB data plan.

Personally I think that's the best deal. Most people I call are on cell phones, if you have the unlimited mobile-to-mobile, then none of those calls count against your minutes. That combined with rollover minutes means that 450 min is more than enough.

I think the 300 MB data plan is pointless, not nearly enough for anything and it's really not THAT much more for 3GB which gives you a comfortable margin that most people aren't going to exceed unless they are prolific downloaders who stream Netflix all the time and never use WiFi. Also, with the 3GB plan, even if you go over, you only pay an extra $10 for another 1 GB, whereas the 300 MB plan charges you $20 I think.

Hope that's helpful to you. :)
    MAERSK likes this.
    04-10-2012 12:22 PM
    do you have access to wifi at home and/or work? if so then you can probably bet on most of your data usage going through the wifi connection and not using your data plan. In the that year I have now had my DVP I have rarely gone over 200mb in any one month despite using my phone a LOT (web/email/apps/etc...). In fact I was just checking on this the other day and it turns out that I have only ONCE hit the 300mb mark (which makes my 2gb data plan very definite overkill.

So, I'm going to dissagree with the previous poster about that 300mb plan being pointless. It may or may not be workable for you but, it's really going to depend upon your access to a good wifi connection in the areas where you spend much of your time (if no wifi then the 3gb plan is probably the better bet for you).
    04-10-2012 01:11 PM
    do you have access to wifi at home and/or work? if so then you can probably bet on most of your data usage going through the wifi connection and not using your data plan. In the that year I have now had my DVP I have rarely gone over 200mb in any one month despite using my phone a LOT (web/email/apps/etc...). In fact I was just checking on this the other day and it turns out that I have only ONCE hit the 300mb mark (which makes my 2gb data plan very definite overkill.

So, I'm going to dissagree with the previous poster about that 300mb plan being pointless. It may or may not be workable for you but, it's really going to depend upon your access to a good wifi connection in the areas where you spend much of your time (if no wifi then the 3gb plan is probably the better bet for you).
    I have wifi at home, but not at work. I am only worried if the live tiles that are constantly pushed to my device pass over 300mb. How much would live tiles use each day considering that I have many friends always updating their facebook. And would data still be pushed even if the device is in sleep mode?

Thanks
    04-10-2012 02:15 PM
    So, some quick points:

1. You have control over all live tiles, with some exception, to decide who updates and who doesn't.
    2. Live tiles aren't themselves a large data use at all, I don't believe. Knowing that I have an unread article in my RSS reader, for example, is different from actually downloading the article.
    3. People updating their facebook walls wouldn't trigger a live tile, only if they tagged you in a post or posted on your wall, which would again trigger *that* you had been mentioned, not the download of your mention.

Hope this helps,
    Mike
    04-10-2012 03:11 PM
    Lives tiled dont use up a lot of data.. With that said, it is pretty easy to go over 300 mb, but that would require surfing the web and streaming...

If you are in wi-fi most of the time and dont go on the net/stream that much in general, 300 mb may fit the best, but for me..i check stuff at work all the time using data and i typically get 1 gb every month. That includes me surfing the net constantly for an hour almost every day during lunch....So if you dont surf much, you shoudl be fine with 300 mb, you can always get the first and upgrade to 3gb later if needed

As far as texting using data. You can download whatsapp...a lot of people use that app and good way to not use your texting feature on your phone.
    04-10-2012 05:14 PM
    Lives tiled dont use up a lot of data.. With that said, it is pretty easy to go over 300 mb, but that would require surfing the web and streaming...

If you are in wi-fi most of the time and dont go on the net/stream that much in general, 300 mb may fit the best, but for me..i check stuff at work all the time using data and i typically get 1 gb every month. That includes me surfing the net constantly for an hour almost every day during lunch....So if you dont surf much, you shoudl be fine with 300 mb, you can always get the first and upgrade to 3gb later if needed

As far as texting using data. You can download whatsapp...a lot of people use that app and good way to not use your texting feature on your phone.
    I think 300mb would be the best choice for me. I am a bit more comfortable knowing that live tiles use very little data.

However, do you know how much data whatapps/ other type of sms apps uses if it is constantly connected using lte? If is uses little data, then 3gb would be a better choice and skip the unlimited messages feature.
    04-10-2012 05:33 PM
    (Assuming you are in the U.S. and talking about using AT&T here)

What I got was the 450 minute plan, with unlimited text messaging which comes with unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling and the 3 GB data plan.

Personally I think that's the best deal. Most people I call are on cell phones, if you have the unlimited mobile-to-mobile, then none of those calls count against your minutes. That combined with rollover minutes means that 450 min is more than enough.

I think the 300 MB data plan is pointless, not nearly enough for anything and it's really not THAT much more for 3GB which gives you a comfortable margin that most people aren't going to exceed unless they are prolific downloaders who stream Netflix all the time and never use WiFi. Also, with the 3GB plan, even if you go over, you only pay an extra $10 for another 1 GB, whereas the 300 MB plan charges you $20 I think.

Hope that's helpful to you. :)
    If you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for this 450 min + 3GB data plan monthly after fees and all (AT&T correct)?

Thanks~
    04-11-2012 10:34 PM
    Start your first month with the 3G plan. Check your usage after. If it's less than 300 MB, switch. Worth paying to find out for one month.
    04-12-2012 04:01 PM
    If you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for this 450 min + 3GB data plan monthly after fees and all (AT&T correct)?

Thanks~
    Haven't gotten my first bill yet, but AT&T's estimated bill is:

$39.99 NATION 450 UNL M2M 5K
    $30.00 DATAPRO 3GB
    $20.00 MSG UNLMTD
    $6.99 MOBILE INSURANCE

SUBTOTAL: $96.98

$0.26 REGULATORY COST RECOVERY CHARGE
    $4.98 FEDERAL UNIVERSAL SERVICE FUND
    $0.31 OTHER AT&T SURCHARGES
    $15.88 STATE AND LOCAL TAX
    $0.50 911 FEE

ESTIMATED TOTAL MONTHLY CHARGES: $118.91

Your mileage may vary a bit depending on which options you choose and what the taxes are.
    MAERSK likes this.
    04-13-2012 12:38 PM
    is there an app were we can monitor our usage?
    04-14-2012 06:45 AM
    is there an app were we can monitor our usage?
    The AT&T my AT&T app works well. And Nokia is set to release an app of their own very soon.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    cammyhorne likes this.
    04-14-2012 06:54 AM
    If everyone you text has 3G or LTE on their phones, go with the 3GB plan, and use Whatsapp or an app of the sort, that way you can use your Lumia without worrying about going over the 300mb. However, if you're going to send a lot of sms, then the 300mb would be better: I find that 300mb are enough if you've got a wifi connection, and if you don't browse a lot. I myself consume close to 50mb per week. I've got wifi at home, and I only check whatsapp, fb, twitter, maps when I'm outside the house (with live tiles of course).
    04-14-2012 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD