After Action Report from the April 14 St. Louis Meetup

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
It went very, very well! We had a total of nine people who came out to talk about Windows Phone 7, 8 and Windows 8. Triumph Grill was very gracious and took care of us well. I can definitely recommend their juicy hamburger! Not to mention the fries were perfectly cooked, not soggy or floppy at all. Very nice.

There were three Lumia 900s brought to the meeting, an original Titan, two HD7s, a Focus Flash, a Dell venue Pro (never saw one before), and some other WP7 devices that I don't remember. No Lumia 710s, 800s, or Titan IIs this time. The screen on the Lumia 900 is truly stunning. When we placed it up against all other devices running the same mango-colored theme, it was clear the 900 had the best colors and blacks. No doubt about it.

I asked the attendees if anyone has actually seen any WP7 devices when they're out and about. Only two or three people had ever seen another WP7 device in the wild. That's sad, but not entirely unexpected. Upgrading was discussed and some of us on the older Gen. 1 devices are probably going to ride these devices out until WP8 is released, then upgrade to a Gen. 3 (or 4?) device when WP8 hits the market.

The meetup was a total success. I handed out some Xbox 360 games, lots of t-shirts, some WP7 stickers, and some Windows Phone formatted paper notepads. Everyone got to go home with at least one item, and some folks with two items. Smiles all around.

I'd like to thank Scott Spradlin (@scotts) for the "Smoked By..." shirt and the stack of WP stickers. I'd also like to thank Microsoft's Chris Koenig (@ChrisKoenig) for quickly dispatching me several t-shirts, Xbox games, and notepads just in time for the meetup. The goodies were appreciated by all.

WP Central, thank you for posting this meetup on your front page two times. That was very helpful as it did alert a few people to the meetup who do not visit the WP Central forums. Shame on them, I know.

But most of all, thank you, attendees, for taking time out of your busy Saturday to meet with fellow WP7 geeks. I hope you enjoyed yourself and you can count on future STL Windows Phone Meetups.

From left to right in the picture: Nathan, me, Elizabeth, Shubho, Amit, Nathan, Brett, Steve, and Dave. Sorry for the quality. It was a low-light condition and the HD7's camera is not the best. Sadly, this was the best picture to make it out of the meetup. Other pictures were far too blurry to post.

If you are thinking of starting a meetup in your city and need a little help/guidance, feel free to PM me here or get in touch on Twitter. I will try my best to help you out. It's worth it and you'll enjoy yourself! I highly recommend you do this in your city.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It went very, very well! We had a total of nine people who came out to talk about Windows Phone 7, 8 and Windows 8. Triumph Grill was very gracious and took care of us well. I can definitely recommend their juicy hamburger! Not to mention the fries were perfectly cooked, not soggy or floppy at all. Very nice.

There were three Lumia 900s brought to the meeting, an original Titan, two HD7s, a Focus Flash, a Dell venue Pro (never saw one before), and some other WP7 devices that I don't remember. No Lumia 710s, 800s, or Titan IIs this time. The screen on the Lumia 900 is truly stunning. When we placed it up against all other devices running the same mango-colored theme, it was clear the 900 had the best colors and blacks. No doubt about it.

I asked the attendees if anyone has actually seen any WP7 devices when they're out and about. Only two or three people had ever seen another WP7 device in the wild. That's sad, but not entirely unexpected. Upgrading was discussed and some of us on the older Gen. 1 devices are probably going to ride these devices out until WP8 is released, then upgrade to a Gen. 3 (or 4?) device when WP8 hits the market.

The meetup was a total success. I handed out some Xbox 360 games, lots of t-shirts, some WP7 stickers, and some Windows Phone formatted paper notepads. Everyone got to go home with at least one item, and some folks with two items. Smiles all around.

I'd like to thank Scott Spradlin (@scotts) for the "Smoked By..." shirt and the stack of WP stickers. I'd also like to thank Microsoft's Chris Koenig (@ChrisKoenig) for quickly dispatching me several t-shirts, Xbox games, and notepads just in time for the meetup. The goodies were appreciated by all.

WP Central, thank you for posting this meetup on your front page two times. That was very helpful as it did alert a few people to the meetup who do not visit the WP Central forums. Shame on them, I know.

But most of all, thank you, attendees, for taking time out of your busy Saturday to meet with fellow WP7 geeks. I hope you enjoyed yourself and you can count on future STL Windows Phone Meetups.

From left to right in the picture: Nathan, me, Elizabeth, Shubho, Amit, Nathan, Brett, Steve, and Dave. Sorry for the quality. It was a low-light condition and the HD7's camera is not the best. Sadly, this was the best picture to make it out of the meetup. Other pictures were far too blurry to post.

If you are thinking of starting a meetup in your city and need a little help/guidance, feel free to PM me here or get in touch on Twitter. I will try my best to help you out. It's worth it and you'll enjoy yourself! I highly recommend you do this in your city.
I'm glad to hear it went well. Maybe you'll have to get a bigger place for your meetings before long.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Right now my enthusiasm isn't that high. If I stick with the platform when WP 8 comes out I might try to get a meetup going. I know I would enjoy meeting others with the same phone interests.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
At this point I don't know what will be next for me. Some things about WP I enjoy, but some I don't. Apollo will address some of my issues.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans