I'm planning to purchase Office 2010 for my current W7 laptop. I am also planning to upgrade the same laptop to W8 when released. Will my Office 2010 product key still work then? I'm also planning to just purchase the download as opposed to disc from Amazon, if it matters at all. Just trying to decide if I can buy Office now or wait till W8.
    04-20-2012 12:19 PM
    It shouldn't matter, the key should work for both.
    ninjaap likes this.
    04-20-2012 12:27 PM
    Okay, just trying to get verification from someone who has done it in the past. I've never bought Office or other MS products, besides Windows, and didn't know if they carried over to upgraded versions of Windows.
    04-20-2012 12:31 PM
    It should work just fine. I bought Office 2007 when I was running Vista. I had no issues with Office 2007 when I upgraded to Win7.

I currently have Office 2010 and plan to upgrade to Win8.
    ninjaap likes this.
    04-20-2012 12:47 PM
    Hey, guys. You may want to read this email I got from MS. It seems that Office 2010 product key will NOT work when upgrading to W8, unless you purchase the 2 or 3 installation license. Damn! So I guess, they must've changed their policy since Office 2007?

Hello Alvin,

Thank you for your earlier email to us at the Microsoft Store. I forgot to mention one more detail about Office 2010 that may help.

Suites of Office 2010 have different licencing options. On each product page, you will see two choices. The single PC license of Office 2010 is a 'Product Key Card' (PKC) license. A PKC licence is one time use only, so if you need to reinstall for any reason, this would not be possible. To obtain the software again, a new copy would need to be purchased.

The two or three installation license of Office 2010 is different. They are for a 'perpetual' licence, which allows you to transfer and activate the software from one computer to another, or on the same computer indefinitely. Your product key would need to be reset if it no longer works.

With any purchase of Office 2010, I recommend the second option because it has the future in mind. You would be able to reinstall it again if you need to.

Thank you for choosing the Microsoft Store,

Andrew G.
    Microsoft Store Email Support
    04-20-2012 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD