No Walking And Texting

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Communities start to fine for texting and walking

A growing number of communities are trying to get that message across to stave off pedestrian accidents that can happen when people walking become too engrossed with their phones.

This spring, Fort Lee, N.J., police began issuing $85 fines for careless walking, and the Utah Transit Authority made distracted walking around trains punishable by a $50 fine....

Communities start to fine for texting and walking

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I am thinking you are looking for opinions on this so here is mine.

What if I am eating a hamburger or looking at the sky do I get a fine? Whats next are they going to tell me what I can read when I am sitting on the can. I could pop a vain pushing too hard if Ziggy isn't funny today. I think local government needs to stay out of my business. If someone is so stupid that they walk in to traffic while texting well, we call the natural selection. I don't need the government to tell me to be smart about what I am doing do you? If we continue to give up our rights to things in the name of protecting the deficient where will it stop?

Quick Edit: Driving is not a rite you have. It is a privilege you obtain by following the rules. Law makers need to be allowed to right all the laws needed to keep people safe on the roads and people should be force to follow the rules or loose the privilege to drive. This in no way should be confused with our civil liberties and rites as humans to walk wherever we want however we want.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
LOL! I heard it on CNN this morning and I thought some late night CNN news writer didn't realize he had just read a satire article from The Onion.

Then I googled it and discovered it was true. I found it hard to believe, but it's true. :D

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking you are looking for opinions on this so here is mine.

What if I am eating a hamburger or looking at the sky do I get a fine? Whats next are they going to tell me what I can read when I am sitting on the can. I could pop a vain pushing too hard if Ziggy isn't funny today. I think local government needs to stay out of my business. If someone is so stupid that they walk in to traffic while texting well, we call the natural selection. I don't need the government to tell me to be smart about what I am doing do you? If we continue to give up our rights to things in the name of protecting the deficient where will it stop?

Quick Edit: Driving is not a rite you have. It is a privilege you obtain by following the rules. Law makers need to be allowed to right all the laws needed to keep people safe on the roads and people should be force to follow the rules or loose the privilege to drive. This in no way should be confused with our civil liberties and rites as humans to walk wherever we want however we want.

+1 on natural selection. And that's from a creationist. ;)

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Dave that texting while driving is a much bigger issue, and I could give a rat's patootie if some jack walks into a wall or a water fountain. However, if somebody steps out in front of my car because they're not paying attention, then it becomes my problem. And if that moron damages my car....I'm gonna be piiiiiised! ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720