Might be a little too general butt...

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up an old 2001 IBM A20M laptop for $20 (Historical value and it's a tank) from a computer store in my small town that's closing. Well I was guaranteed it was fully functional and it appears the ethernet port is busted as it doesn't want to pick up signal. It's not the cord. I've tried every OS from stock Win2000 to XP and Ubuntu and those aren't getting it to pick up my modem either. I don't really have the funds to buy a USB wifi card right now (I'm 15) So if you guys have a FREE solution, or something I'm doing wrong, :mad: it'd be great... Old man scammed me.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
It most likely has a built in network adapter that might be defective. Or, maybe the network adapter was an option that was never installed, or it was removed. Have you found the specs/manual online. Is the network adapter active in Device Manager. Maybe you just need a driver.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
It most likely has a built in network adapter that might be defective. Or, maybe the network adapter was an option that was never installed, or it was removed. Have you found the specs/manual online. Is the network adapter active in Device Manager. Maybe you just need a driver.

I've already installed the driver in all OS's but please stay in this thread and help me out :D I upgraded to XP because 2000 only wanted to do a dialup network witch I don't have and it wouldn't work anyways. Here's the drivers Drivers and software - ThinkPad A20m and here's the specs ThinkPad A20M Specifications | eHow.com
I'm running the 14.1 or 15 inch setup, with i think 700mhz processor...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I've already installed the driver in all OS's but please stay in this thread and help me out :D I upgraded to XP because 2000 only wanted to do a dialup network witch I don't have and it wouldn't work anyways. Here's the drivers Drivers and software - ThinkPad A20m and here's the specs ThinkPad A20M Specifications | eHow.com
I'm running the 14.1 or 15 inch setup, with i think 700mhz processor...
So does Device Manager say the network card is working properly? Every time I rebuild a machine I always have to manually setup the network adapter. Almost never works automatically.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
So does Device Manager say the network card is working properly? Every time I rebuild a machine I always have to manually setup the network adapter. Almost never works automatically.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
Here I'll reinstall XP and then report back... But does anyone know of USB teher would work?

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
USB-Tethering SHOULD work. Check the settings on the phone for Internet Sharing or whatever it's called in English. :)

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Well yeah it can share it as WiFi but the laptop doesn't have WiFi... I meant it would share its internet THROUGH USB, that's what I was hoping for at least.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so now your next problem is avoiding the tethering police. What carrier, what plan? AT&T will shut you down if they catch you. Some other carriers permit tethering, but you might have to deal with throttling after 2-3GB. Proceed with caution young grasshopper.

thelastfoiter

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so now your next problem is avoiding the tethering police. What carrier, what plan? AT&T will shut you down if they catch you. Some other carriers permit tethering, but you might have to deal with throttling after 2-3GB. Proceed with caution young grasshopper.

NOOOO this is driving me crazy!!! Tmobile unlimited data (5 gigs full speed) unlimited text and 100 minutes for 30 bucks :D it allows tethering be it wifi or USB. BUT MOTHER F***** Windows XP is being stupid and it won't establish a connection or recognize my Focus S and use proper drivers :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Check Samsungs website. I know the original Focus had problem connecting to Zune and they offered some new USB drivers which solved the problem for users. Can't hurt to look.

Big Bang Radar

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
NOOOO this is driving me crazy!!! Tmobile unlimited data (5 gigs full speed) unlimited text and 100 minutes for 30 bucks :D it allows tethering be it wifi or USB. BUT MOTHER F***** Windows XP is being stupid and it won't establish a connection or recognize my Focus S and use proper drivers :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is it WinXP SP3? Zune doesn't work with anything predating that. Maybe that's you're problem.

Zune doesn't work with Ubuntu, Or Win2000, btw.

Big Bang Radar

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Unlucky mate, no wireless networking, and abosoutely terrible specs. RAM required for Zune is 1GB, the laptop has 128MB. FAIL, YOU JUST GOT RIPPED OFF!

That laptop should have sold for $5 today.

Big Bang Radar

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Processor

The A20m uses Intel's Celeron and Pentium III processors. These processors range from clock speeds of 500 megahertz to 700 MHz. All of them have a 256 kilobyte Level 2 cache.

Memory

Memory options for this model included 64 megabytes and 128 MB of Synchronous Dynamic RAM. You cannot upgrade or change out the memory because it is built into the motherboard. The memory speed is 100 MHz. This small amount of memory makes the A20m incompatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Sponsored Links
Smart & Secure Processors
Get lower TCO & max production! Refresh PC fleet with Intel? vPro™
Page Not Found

Display

Screen sizes include 12.1 inches, 14.1 inches and 15 inches. All but the 12.1 inch use a 1024 by 768 pixel resolution; the 12.1-inch screen uses 800 by 600 pixels. The A20m offers either 4MB or 8MB shared graphics memory, which is far too little for most modern multimedia and gaming uses. By comparison, a budget-priced laptop built in 2010 would include at least 128MB of video memory.

Drives

The standard hard drive options for this model were 6 gigabyte and 12GB in size, but buyers could get up to a 20GB drive. This laptop uses IDE hard drives. There is one built-in 1.44MB floppy drive. Options for the optical drive included a CD-ROM drive of speeds 10x to 24x or a 6x speed DVD-ROM drive.

Ports

The R30 include a parallel port, a serial port, one PS/2 port for a mouse or external keyboard, USB ports and a port replicator connection. There is a VGA port for connecting a monitor or projector, and a TV-out port on some R30 laptops or TV-in and out on others. There is an RJ-11 phone modem jack and an RJ-45 Ethernet jack. A PC card is required for wireless Internet browsing.

Read more: ThinkPad A20M Specifications | eHow.com ThinkPad A20M Specifications | eHow.com

Oh my GOD. This computer is fail at life, no way the IT guy wanted someone to take it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa