How to cut a T-Mobile SIM card.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I did this last night so I could activate my Nokia Lumia 710 on my Monthly 4G account. It replaced my HTC HD7. And boy was that a good move on my part!

I had a new T-Mobile full size SIM card that had never been used or popped out of its plastic credit card holder. This one: T-Mobile SIM Card Activation Kit | T-Mobile Using the following video, I cut the card to fit the micro SIM slot of the Lumia 710. How to cut a Micro SIM - YouTube

In the video he uses a paper template and gives you a download link for the paper. I didn't print it out. Just looking at the video I figured I could cut it on my own without having to mark the cutting lines on the SIM. I was right and it was super easy.

I used some very sturdy kitchen shears, much like what he uses in the video. Standard office scissors will probably not be strong enough. Don't take chances, use a strong scissor. They key is to get that diagonal notch done as soon as you can. If you don't, you may get cut-happy and lose your place and not remember which side of the SIM should have the diagonal cut. Almost happened to me!

So I would begin cutting the two sides that meet the diagonal line first. Then make your diagonal cut. Don't worry if it's not close enough to the gold chip, you can work on that later. But just make cuts in the SIM so that *you* know where the diagonal cut is supposed to be, for orientation reasons. Then cut the sides and bottom real close to the gold chip. I left about 1-1.5mm of plastic around the gold chip.

I popped it in my Lumia 710 and got service. Then I used T-Mobile's online chat feature to get my SIM registered on my Monthly 4G account and I was done. Super easy! Don't worry about cutting a SIM, it's very easy with the right scissors. And don't buy a $10 SIM cutter from Amazon. It's just not necessary.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Go to the T-Mobile store and get a Micro-SIM if you need one, they have them. And obviously they have full size SIM cards. Last time I needed another SIM, they didn't charge me for that.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Go to the T-Mobile store and get a Micro-SIM if you need one, they have them. And obviously they have full size SIM cards. Last time I needed another SIM, they didn't charge me for that.

Oh, that's very nice of them. Next time I need a replacement SIM I'll head to my local T-Mo store. Thanks for the recommendation.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
If you had read my post, you would know that I know about that. :p

But why would I want to pay $20 when I can use some heavy duty scissors to do the job for free?

LOL! maybe im just lucky cause i work for a carrier and i know allot of people that actually have that tool , i must of assumed that every one had aces to them . rolf...

my bad :cool:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh, that's very nice of them. Next time I need a replacement SIM I'll head to my local T-Mo store. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yep. T-Mobile has been carrying MicroSIMs for quite a while because people who use iPhones on their network need them (never mind the other AT&T HSPA+/LTE devices). THey're listed for $0 on their website, Lol. Should be able to get one in any T-Mobile store for free, the reps are usually cool with it.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Yep. T-Mobile has been carrying MicroSIMs for quite a while because people who use iPhones on their network need them (never mind the other AT&T HSPA+/LTE devices). THey're listed for $0 on their website, Lol. Should be able to get one in any T-Mobile store for free, the reps are usually cool with it.

It's listed as free on the website, but then take a look at the fine print. It requires a 2-yr agreement. Ridiculous. Next time I'll swing into a store, though, now that I have a good micro SIM I probably won't need to find/make another. I hope so, anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans