Typing this from Windows 95...Yep Win95...lol

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all

I am writing this from Windows 95 OR2 and IE 5.5 sp2. LOL. I installed it to a VM today to play (found drivers, CD ISO, etc on the web) and check out. I am a older PC user, so I ran Windows 95 as a upgrade to 3.11 (I still have my discs), anyway, just wanted to see how it works against the current systems. I even installed the Plus! pack to get those retro screen savers that I had way back when.

Shockingly, it runs pretty good, it's smooth and fast, a few crashes but, nothing major. IE 5.5 cant view everything (the main page of this site crashes it). I am shocked that I could use IE 5.5 and log into this site and make a post..

The VM is configured with..
1 CPU (3.0ghz one core)
512mb of ram (tried to give it 1gb and it would not boot)
3gb HD

Anyone know of a current browser that runs on 95 ? Anyone else try this before for the heck of it ???

The funny thing about this is, the phone in your pocket could run this smooth as silk, the CPU and memory in your phone is faster and better than what was available when Windows 95 released.

-Dave

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Cool! I've been wanting to fix an old Windows 98 Thinkpad I have laying around, just to revive some old memories... What was the name of that game in the Windows 95 disk? Hover I think

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's funny. When I was in school I installed Win98 in VMware, since I needed to run 98 for a class. The reason was that 98 was the last DOS-based version of Windows, and the class I took was related to DOS.

There was no way I'd physically install 98 on any box I have. However, it was cool to play with 98 virtually.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Cool! I've been wanting to fix an old Windows 98 Thinkpad I have laying around, just to revive some old memories... What was the name of that game in the Windows 95 disk? Hover I think

You talking about Hover ? (I played it for about 30 seconds, yep it's on the Windows 95 disc, and yes, it runs in Windows 7 X64 fine) I zipped it up and was going to attach it to this message but, 6.24mb is too much for this site to take a file. Oh, well... I think it's freeware now anyway...

You're brave. :cool:

Yea, I downloaded a VM and it sucked, so I said screw it, let me build my own image, as I have not installed Windows 95 in at least 10-12 years. It took about 5 min to install (Interesting how a Quad 2 core @ 3ghz runs an old OS like this). I installed DOS, then installed Windows 95 in a Vmware workstation and found each driver, sound was tricky but, I got it working.

To those who have never used Windows 95, look at it, look at the start menu, look at the control panel you'll see how much it's like Windows 7.... That is where it all started. The person who designed Windows 7 is not the genuis, it's the person who created Windows 95 as everything else is based off it.

My main reason to install was.... classic dos games that you can not run in Windows 7 X64. Anything like that should run fine in a VM...

Nothing like a retro day...I even ran a Windows 1.0 (yes, 1.0) VM today...

All of it was run in Vmware Workstation 8.0 (I have 4gb ram dedicated to it our of my 8gb, everything runs great, even OSX lion)

I just wish I could get a semi-current web browser to see how well it works...

Next attempt, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, it does support IE 5.0....Win98 is too easy (it supports upto IE 6.0)

Last edited:

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know of a current browser that runs on 95 ? Anyone else try this before for the heck of it ???

You're not gonna find any of the newer versions of well known browsers supporting Win95 (No doubt newer browsers are taking advantage of the .NET framework). You're gonna have to downgrade to earlier releases. e.g. firefox 4 or something. Probably any browser in existence up to 2006 when MS stopped support for Win95

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You're not gonna find any of the newer versions of well known browsers supporting Win95 (No doubt newer browsers are taking advantage of the .NET framework). You're gonna have to downgrade to earlier releases. e.g. firefox 4 or something. Probably any browser in existence up to 2006 when MS stopped support for Win95

I know your right but, it's disapointing. Yea, IE 5.5 or Firefox 2.01 is the newest supported for Windows 95.

It's old I know but, I could see some advantages for running it today IF the browser and hardware support could be updated.

Just think about it...

1. Speed, New hardware, old hardware, in a VM or anything about it with little bits of memory. It's fast and a OSR 2.5 version(the last version updated available) it's Very stable.

2. It's not a virus target -Hackers target OS's that are used by the most people, this would be Windows XP and Windows 7, You could have a totaly exposed Windows 95 machine on the internet, and unless you got one from your web browser, no one will care to touch you.

3.Portablity, It's got a TINY foot print (less than WM 6.1 or WP7), it could run on your phone, your tablet and your desktop, Without even touching your primary OS (I had a emulator years ago on WM 6.1) **Dont sync a few files, sync the entire OS with your files.**

4. Classic games - Some of the best PC games started on Windows 95/DOS, there are a ton of classic games that still would run on on the OS...People are emulating them all the time, why not play the orignal ??? It even had a TRUE dos mode to play them fully in dos.

I've been running it for a few days now (installed a few games on it) in a VM on Windows 7, I remember the days of using it way back when and the easy tweaks on it.

Seriously, if I could get a Modern web broser that will run everything up to Adobe flash, I would think about using it more often if not a main browsing machine.

Retro things are cool again, Windows 95 is almost ready for a comeback :)

As long as we can stick with the old LOGO...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans