I need a PC... ANd I want to know on what config will W8 run. I need it for basic usage, browsing, Word, and some music. But wifey needs it for some heavy 3D design work.

So was wondering what PC is this, shown in the ad? Also, I am looking for a clutter free desktop cause my current desktop is a mess to say the least. Also, a question that keeps bothering me, does the desktop need to be touch? There are a few PCs out there which are touch. But am not sure how smooth or fluid they are and all the more, how fast will they respond to touch on a W8 operating system.

So as of now, I am currently open to both possibilities, of having it touch as well as non-touch, but W8 is a must and high specs is a given.

Can you all suggest a nice OEM that has a machine checking all the boxes I mentioned?

Thanks!
    09-29-2012 09:05 AM
    Dell and Samsung have some pretty compelling options coming that are more desktop-oriented options. I would steer you towards them.
    09-29-2012 09:14 AM
    Dell and Samsung have some pretty compelling options coming that are more desktop-oriented options. I would steer you towards them.

Thanks GoodThings2Life. Any specific models??

I am looking forward to do it in sometime, need to adjust money accordingly, so let's say, around November or late-October??

Also, what would you recommend, a touch or a non-touch screen? I was thinking of buy Surface, but currently don't see a need so will add the amount to my desktop and get a good desktop instead.
    09-29-2012 09:56 AM
    I think that picture is if a Vizio All-in-One.

If your wife does heavy 3D work, I'd avoid All-in-One computers. You're going to want a decent graphics card.

What 3D software does she use?

I've found that Asus makes some good and reliable PCs and laptops.

As for touchscreen... you could always buy a new monitor later. You may also want to look at peripherals that are sure to be released to make W8 easier on the desktop without having to reach out to the screen.
    09-29-2012 10:10 AM
    Thanks GoodThings2Life. Any specific models??

I am looking forward to do it in sometime, need to adjust money accordingly, so let's say, around November or late-October??

Also, what would you recommend, a touch or a non-touch screen? I was thinking of buy Surface, but currently don't see a need so will add the amount to my desktop and get a good desktop instead.
    I'd have to go back and look at the press release to get the model numbers again... but yeah, Halloween/November timeframe for launch.

I'm really leaning towards all-in-one touch screen models for the first time ever. As a techy, I've always hated them, but I feel like our tech is finally at a point where after-purchase upgrades aren't as necessary.

Also, personally I'm still a portables-guy for my own need (going Surface)... but for work/home nothing beats a good desktop style for getting things done.
    09-29-2012 10:49 AM
    Thanks both u guys...
    @Winning Guy: She uses Rhino 4.0 CADD from what she is dictating standing behind. I also use a bit of Photoshop myself...From what I get, you are saying I need a customized rig right?

@GoodThings2Life: I am in no hurry, but I am surely looking for a new desktop. If you could help me with a few options that I could pick from, it would be great..

Thanks again.
    09-29-2012 11:45 AM
    For 3D design work, I'd recommend a desktop not a laptop or all-in-one, since you will want a high end graphics card.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    09-29-2012 12:00 PM
    For 3D design work, I'd recommend a desktop not a laptop or all-in-one, since you will want a high end graphics card.
    Yeah usually for 3D CAD they recommend workstation graphics cards.

OP, you probably want to read this:

rhino:videocards [McNeel Wiki]

It's a list of what graphics cards work fine, and which ones people have been having problems with.
    09-29-2012 12:21 PM
    Thanks Laura...that's what I have been telling her..Desktop it is.. :D
    09-29-2012 12:24 PM
    Agreed. Might want to look at Dell XPS lineup too... Avoid Dimension and Optiplex line.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    09-29-2012 12:37 PM
    Yes. Desktop all the way.

With Windows 8 being so cheap, building a custom rig is a good option.

And unless your wife is doing super hardcore 3D (above 1 million polys), she should be able to get away with a high-end consumer graphics card, like a GeForce series Nvidia card. Workstation cards cost a fortune and are kind of overkill for a lot of work.
    09-29-2012 12:54 PM
    Just thinking now..touch or non-touch. Are desktops with a touch screen a good investment...?

Apart from the 3D work, can it be fun to use for browsing and other things..?

Sent from my RaZr HD.
    09-29-2012 11:39 PM
    I would imagine that touch on the desktop would be best done through a peripheral instead of having to reach out to the screen.
    09-30-2012 12:22 AM
    I would imagine that touch on the desktop would be best done through a peripheral instead of having to reach out to the screen.
    I never thought I'd get used to touching a screen, but I've been a long-time user of Tablet PC's running Windows, and I quickly got used to it.

I've often admired the HP TouchSmart PC's, because I wanted to make it a giant easel tablet and pinch zoom on stuff. Now I think the hardware is finally maturing thanks to pressure from Microsoft with Surface.
    09-30-2012 07:05 AM
    if u have the money you could go for a Dell Precision series, thats what our company uses for the engineers, they are abit costly though...

i think a tablet (by that i mean the traditional pad and stylus thing) would be better than getting a touch screen monitor for desktops, your arm would be pretty sore if you have to reach out often

my experience with Win8 without touch screen has been fine, just need to practice a little to know where everything is lol

engineering machine can run everything fine and may be except for games if you have workstation graphics card, at least a couple years ago when I tried that was the case
    10-01-2012 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD